Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Fire Giant

Angry Bugged about once an hour, chat goes crazy, any help?

I have had this issue for quite a while but lately it is so bad that it is affecting my ability to play and almost gotten me killed today so I've decided to ask for help.

The problem is hard to explain.. I will be typing (I type a lot, I do not use voice chat) and all of a sudden im bugged. The "chat cursor" (not my mouse, but the blinking line that shows where you are typing your characters in the chat box) just goes where ever it wants. Moves to the front or back or middle of the line, sometimes after only typing one or two characters. This makes it so I can not type any commands at all. This is happening at least once an hour.

I can temporarily fix it about 2/3 of the time by minimizing the screen. When that does not work I have to camp out, and that fixes it most of the time. When that doesnt fix it, I have to log completely out then back in.

I am on a laptop that is running windows 7. Its about two years old and runs the game with no trouble other than this. I am running nvidia geforce GT 630m 1gb card according to the sticker on the machine.

I have not added any legal (or illegal) third party programs to the game. I run it completely unaltered. No damage meters or UIs or whatever the cool kids are doing.

Any help?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

do you use an actual physical mouse?

I know on some laptops my palm hits the track pad and makes me click weird places when typing
Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do you use an actual physical mouse?

I know on some laptops my palm hits the track pad and makes me click weird places when typing
Yes, I do use a mouse. My track pad is quite large and sits right beside where my palm rests. I have considered that while typing furiously the palm was striking it, and that has happened a few times for sure... But in this case, when I put the cursor back, and deliberately type very slow to test it, it still moves around randomly. Sometimes its so bad that I cant even type the word "bugged" I just have to camp using the preset "sit" and "camp" buttons.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe your keyboard is on the fritz - got an external one you can test?

Maybe your laptop is possessed as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe your keyboard is on the fritz - got an external one you can test?
I had not considered this at all, I have an external one at work and I will give this a try
Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Aviak

Do you have a separate or combined number pad. If combined is numlock on?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Aviak

They have a windows registry you can modify to change key inputs. I am under the assumptions that adware causes the problem it's happen to me before. Maybe you can dive into google and search some related stuff. Might be happening.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have had this issue for quite a while but lately it is so bad that it is affecting my ability to play and almost gotten me killed today so I've decided to ask for help.

The problem is hard to explain.. I will be typing (I type a lot, I do not use voice chat) and all of a sudden im bugged. The "chat cursor" (not my mouse, but the blinking line that shows where you are typing your characters in the chat box) just goes where ever it wants. Moves to the front or back or middle of the line, sometimes after only typing one or two characters. This makes it so I can not type any commands at all. This is happening at least once an hour.

I can temporarily fix it about 2/3 of the time by minimizing the screen. When that does not work I have to camp out, and that fixes it most of the time. When that doesnt fix it, I have to log completely out then back in.

I am on a laptop that is running windows 7. Its about two years old and runs the game with no trouble other than this. I am running nvidia geforce GT 630m 1gb card according to the sticker on the machine.

I have not added any legal (or illegal) third party programs to the game. I run it completely unaltered. No damage meters or UIs or whatever the cool kids are doing.

Any help?
The fact that this is happening about once an hour and a minimize can sometimes fix this makes me think it is a graphics card or ram issue, or graphics card ram issue. I would check to see if your overheating. EQ although old as shit runs hot on the processor and graphics card from my experience.

When was the last time you cleaned it out and dusted? If cleaning it out and it still has a problem I would run a benchmark program like PassMark which will test your CPU/RAM and Video Card. If it fails any of the tests or crashes during one you might get an idea of the problem.

Edit/PS - If none of this checks out and you still have a problem you may want to make sure no antivirus/firewall is active or interfering. You may also want to check out the Scheduled Tasks in windows and see if some program has inserted an hourly scan/update check most people never clean these out (many programs like google/facebook do, those assholes). If still having issue check your Wireless card if your using wireless, they can overheat as well or become POS over time. Make sure connection is atleast 80% signal if it drops below that I find Project 1999 servers will easily de-synch.
Last edited by BlkCamel; 05-02-2016 at 11:19 PM..
Old 05-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbase-1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have a separate or combined number pad. If combined is numlock on?
My laptop is full size and has a number pad on the left side, just like a normal keyboard. Should I have numlock on or off? I never considered that as a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When was the last time you cleaned it out and dusted? If cleaning it out and it still has a problem I would run a benchmark program like PassMark which will test your CPU/RAM and Video Card. If it fails any of the tests or crashes during one you might get an idea of the problem.

Edit/PS - If none of this checks out and you still have a problem you may want to make sure no antivirus/firewall is active or interfering. You may also want to check out the Scheduled Tasks in windows and see if some program has inserted an hourly scan/update check most people never clean these out (many programs like google/facebook do, those assholes). If still having issue check your Wireless card if your using wireless, they can overheat as well or become POS over time. Make sure connection is atleast 80% signal if it drops below that I find Project 1999 servers will easily de-synch.
I have not cleaned it out and I work in an outdoor environment, I will try that. Even if it doesnt fix it it probably needs it anyway. The machine isnt HOT HOT HOT but it definitely gets pretty warm.

I have not seen evidence that firewall or antivirus is doing it, wouldnt that give me a warning somehow? Other games have in the past.

My connection is usually very strong and I routinely zone faster than 90% of others in my group.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Fire Giant

This is getting worse. Sometimes its happening every 15 minutes or less. I am convinced that it is not a "computer too hot" issue because it happens even when I first start, before the machine gets hot.

The blinking cursor just goes whereever it wants. it moves right in the middle of text ive already typed, or pushes ability buttons, or brings up recent messages I've sent (as if I had pushed shift+up)

Its horrible and its driving me crazy. Any other ideas on what I can do?

I have not tested an alternate keyboard hypothesis.