Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Sarnak

Question Dazzle Doesn't Overwrite Mesmerize? A Bug?

Hello,

If I cast Paralyzing Earth (PE) on an NPC under the effect of Root, the PE overwrites the Root. PE is the level 49 version of Root, a level 8 spell.

Recently I've noticed that Dazzle doesn't work on NPCs that are under the effect of Mesmerize.

This strikes me as odd because Dazzle is the level 49 version of Mesmerize, a level 4 spell.

Seems a bug.

Is this a bug?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2019, 01:31 AM
Planar Protector

You can only overwrite a mez with one thats the same duration or shorter. Like with the aoe mesmerization, you cannot use dazzle over it but you can use the lvl 4 mesmerize

I believe its a feature, not a bug
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 AM
Fire Giant

it has always been like this

it would be straight out OP if u can apply long duration mez on something that was mezzed with a shorter duration spell
Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

I’ve never seen the evidence brought forth that this is the correct behavior. However I’ve not really dug into the classic nature of this before.

It does seem counterintuitive that Mez spells won’t overwrite but things like roots will regardless of duration difference.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

I know for sure that it's correct as it related to AoE mez back in classic. Only the level 4 mez would refresh the duration. i don't recall for sure one way or the other for any other than that one. Seems it would be the same for all the other mezs, too.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

In some cases, yes you’re correct. But I’d be curious to know where the Mez overwriting logic on this server stems from. It’s quite possible there was evidence posted that indicated this is correct. However I don’t believe this is part of the stock Emu code.

I found this:

EQCasters 2002 Enchanter Guide

Quote:
Mesmerization, Fascination

Mesmerization and Fascination are AE mez spells whose effect is centered on your current target. Fascination has a lower resist rate than Mesmerization, but costs a lot more mana. These spells are fantastic for disaster management, but they can be tricky to use.

Both spells can affect up to five targets. It is entirely possible to catch yourself in the area of effect, which is one reason to keep your magic resistance and shielding buffs on at all times. You also take up one of the five targets when it hits you.

When creatures are running all over the place, it can be handy to target a group member with this spell instead of an enemy. This gives you a known fixed point for the spell of someone who will not charge over next to you when you cast. They won't be mezzed by the spell, but they will count as one of the five targets.

You cannot overwrite a single target mez with an AE mez or vice versa.

It is often desirable to root your mezzed creatures, especially when using the AE versions of the spells.
It’s slightly past Velious but it is the quickest guide I could think to check in. It indicates the issue is AE vs Single Mez, not a duration issue.

Also I like how the guide has an entire section on Targetting, a crucial skill for playing a CC class prior to the cycle Target hotkey.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the replies guys.

Given the root situation I'm going to hope this is a bug and gets corrected.

And independently of that, it just makes intuitive sense that a high level Mesmerize overwrite the lower level version.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the replies guys.

Given the root situation I'm going to hope this is a bug and gets corrected.

And independently of that, it just makes intuitive sense that a high level Mesmerize overwrite the lower level version.
troll much?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
troll much?
It's like people are in a competition to get on my ever-growing Ignore List.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Half the server tells you that it isn't bug, you reply "I hope this is a bug and gets corrected."

Its not a bug. Its not going to change. As they told you.
Closed Thread