Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: You have been selected for additional screening.
This flimsy mask will surely protect me. 44 20.66%
I have or wish to have the Coronavirus. 24 11.27%
I have some other virus; HIV or maybe viral Meningitis. 7 3.29%
I am already dead. 67 31.46%
On my way to Vegas, Randall Flagg is calling. 32 15.02%
Mossad agents are dancing again. 39 18.31%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I must be living in a weird pocket of highly paid teachers. According to our school district substitute teachers get paid $250/day. Starting full time teachers start at $300/day with a bachelors degree. Get a district paid masters and that jumps to $450/day. If a teacher does any extras outside their normal in room teaching they get more bumps in pay.

Assistant coaches get $25/hour. Head coaches get $60/hour. This includes activities like school sponsored robotics, debate, competitive dance, etc.

Hell, many teachers are seeing six digits on their W-2 once all extras are accounted for. Granted we live in a high cost of living area (Thanks Microsoft and Amazon) but even then it's a pretty dam good deal IMO.
Definitely depends on where you live, but that's basically any major city. A starting salary of 78k a year, if you actually live inside that city, is worth significantly less than if you were lived outside of it and commuted which introduces its own hassles and costs.

I was offered a job in NYC for a substantial raise but I would have had to move there. After nuking out the costs of living the amount I took home would be significantly less than I was making where I currently was because I was splitting rent with a couple friends. I think I was paying maybe $450 after utilities a month and the only places I would've wanted to live in NYC would have cost ~$2,500 a month, maybe I could've gotten a roommate but I wasn't super keen on living with strangers by that point in my life.

-- Side note: Which city is this, Seattle? Weren't they one of the early cities to adopt raising the minimum wage after they realized that by raising the minimum wage that it indirectly benefited big business in that more people had more expendable income to purchase more / better goods, creating significantly more consumers than they previously had?
Last edited by Kich867; 06-29-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Old 06-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-- Side note: Which city is this, Seattle? Weren't they one of the early cities to adopt raising the minimum wage after they realized that by raising the minimum wage that it indirectly benefited big business in that more people had more expendable income to purchase more / better goods, creating significantly more consumers than they previously had?
We're just outside Seattle but yea, similar pay/economies/COL/etc. Seattle proper is $15/hour. My town only has to follow the state MW but the lowest anybody can get away with is $14/hour and that's for after school high-school kids. If I walked into Walmart they'd start me at $18/hour part time, $21/hour full time.

Be careful about selling the "pay higher wages for more disposable income" thing. If you look at it in a certain light it's true. The working poor around here though isn't buying higher quality goods but rather more cheap crap. Additionally since wages have gone up so has the overall cost of living. We recently had a sound transit initiative go through. It's due to start operations in a little over a year and be completed in 2040. Because of that our car tabs have skyrocketed and property taxes left the solar system a couple years ago. These things of course have hit everybody but the working poor the hardest.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We're just outside Seattle but yea, similar pay/economies/COL/etc. Seattle proper is $15/hour. My town only has to follow the state MW but the lowest anybody can get away with is $14/hour and that's for after school high-school kids. If I walked into Walmart they'd start me at $18/hour part time, $21/hour full time.

Be careful about selling the "pay higher wages for more disposable income" thing. If you look at it in a certain light it's true. The working poor around here though isn't buying higher quality goods but rather more cheap crap. Additionally since wages have gone up so has the overall cost of living. We recently had a sound transit initiative go through. It's due to start operations in a little over a year and be completed in 2040. Because of that our car tabs have skyrocketed and property taxes left the solar system a couple years ago. These things of course have hit everybody but the working poor the hardest.
I mean I think that's going to be a challenge no matter what. The result from what you're saying suggests that there needs to be very poor people to keep prices down? But it sounds like they'd be pretty fucked regardless if they're making better wages or not.

I'd be interested to know how the cost of living interacts with the minimum wage and whether that was causal or if it had anything to do with companies like Amazon introducing high paying jobs in droves.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Teachers make $50-60k in Texas I think

Not worth it with our minority population, you can’t even discipline people without it becoming an issue of race. I’d never be a teacher or cop in this country, unless I lived in New Hampshire or Vermont or something
Old 06-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean I think that's going to be a challenge no matter what. The result from what you're saying suggests that there needs to be very poor people to keep prices down? But it sounds like they'd be pretty fucked regardless if they're making better wages or not.

I'd be interested to know how the cost of living interacts with the minimum wage and whether that was causal or if it had anything to do with companies like Amazon introducing high paying jobs in droves.
So one of my areas of study way back in college was business. I took 3 semesters of econ, 2 semesters of accounting, 1 semester of marketing. Additionally after switching majors a couple times I finished with a minor in psychology, sociology/criminology and a handful of other classes related to it all.

In regards to your first paragraph; that crap has been debated since Caveman Clurg demanded two turkey legs for every five avocados. It continues today with different things and will continue until humanity ends.

As far as your second paragraph....there's definitely some correlation but how closely linked they are is anybody's argument. Amazon definitely did bring in a lot of high wage people but for Seattle this is nothing new. Microsoft made a huge pile of millionaires starting in the mid 1980's. Boeing people can become wealthy if they work with the right people/groups. Add in all the high paid scientific/medical/healthcare people and there's definitely a lot of high paid people in this area.

Before the minimum wage hike most of the $7.25 people were working for tips. The people that didn't get tips made in the $12-$15/hour range already. The people that have lived here awhile knew who was making minimum wage; we tipped fairly generously if the service was good. Example: I had season tickets to hockey. A beer was $4; everybody there simply gave the bartender $5. Ditto with pretzels. Nacho's were $8, pay $10 and let the server keep $2. Supergiant HOWEVER, the shitty/asshole bartenders/servers didn't make jack in tips so they "got screwed" by the system.

Now where the Amazon people come into this equation....most (not all, just most) are transplants. Take somebody from a part of the country/world with a low cost of living and start paying them $90k/year. Woohoo, they just won at life. The life winner goes out to lunch with their team for the first time. Each person on the team gets their bill....$20 for a burger, bowl of potato salad one one beer? Fucking ripoff man! These asshole servers are making more serving me than engineers back in my hometown! I'm going to leave them a lousy $1 tip on a $20 meal. This crap should only cost $5 back home.

There's a lot more than this very simplified explanation but this should be enough to give the general gist of what's going on here.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Not worth it with our minority population, you can’t even discipline people without it becoming an issue of race. I’d never be a teacher or cop in this country, unless I lived in New Hampshire or Vermont or something
Cops make considerably more than 50-60k a year I believe -- at least state level ones (unless they are brand new or something). And that doesn't even include all the money you are going to make selling drugs on the side and shaking people down. Then there is all the money you can save on prostitutes as well.

Being a cop is a pretty sweet deal IMO. They find backgrounds like mine "questionable" for some god damn reason -- or that's the rout id go over law.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cops make considerably more than 50-60k a year I believe -- at least state level ones (unless they are brand new or something). And that doesn't even include all the money you are going to make selling drugs on the side and shaking people down. Then there is all the money you can save on prostitutes as well.

Being a cop is a pretty sweet deal IMO. They find backgrounds like mine "questionable" for some god damn reason -- or that's the rout id go over law.
They find the guy who dates a drug addict tranny questionable? Well I’ll be
Old 06-29-2020, 09:25 PM
Banned

Exclamation

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

NH, Maine, and Vermont all in top 5 states to live in the country.

Hmmmmmm....wonder why
Old 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
NH, Maine, and Vermont all in top 5 states to live in the country.

Hmmmmmm....wonder why
gotta love white people being afraid of their own shadows [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread