Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Sarnak

Default Darkelf necro question...

Yeah it' a darkelf necro question about iskar. Are you suprised? Apparently you were interested enough to be reading this so hear me out. I've been up all night reading how darkelf necros are nowhere near as good as iksar and are hated during end game raiding. I've invested a lot emotionally and have become severely attached to Neriak and feel as it is my own home city. My wife is a darkelf rogue and we adventure together. I've looked up ways to grind rep to safely turn in red wine for grinding more rep and I've found the trainers for necro under Freeport but none sell spells. Traveling back and fourth by portal would become very tiring and expensive and all this seems like a waste of time. While looking at quests online I came across an item that peaked my interest and suprise suprise that item is for the most part only available to darkelf necromancers. http://wiki.project1999.com/Thex_Mallet_Quest
So, to my point. If I wanted to continue my life as a humble servant to my dark lord Innoruuk instead of following the Iskar false god, would this item aid me enough?
Reaper of the Dead
Last edited by A1rh3ad; 10-10-2016 at 05:11 AM..
Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 AM
Sarnak

It seems as it is only a 1 charge item so I would need to get to a vendor to rechange. Its a shame really. I despise iksar but love necromancers. It is kind of disheartening that a dark elf cannot be properly played as one.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:52 AM
Fire Giant

Firstly, you can definitely play a DE necro just like an iksar.
Yes the iksar regen helps but all it means is that they have to lifetap a bit less. I play a Erudite necro and it plays just fine.

Also, the reaper is mainly a raid item these days, but hey a pocket CH can defintely save you in an emergency!
Fauvana 54 Erudite Necromancer
Seliel 24 Erudite Rogue
Deepwalter 6 Erudite Paladin

Fauvano 40 Dark Elf Necromancer
Stoppinswords 11 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 10-10-2016, 05:57 AM
Sarnak

Yeah the min/maxer talk is giving me cold feet about my choices.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Sarnak

Every necro choice is viable, have a blast. No raid guild will reject you on P99 for rolling a DE.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Sarnak

I have a DE necro (level 48 now) and am loving it. I wouldn't worry about end game, the regen really isn't an issue as long as you can play the class correctly in groups or raids.

For example, it's not always going to be just send pet and dot/nuke in groups. Sometimes you might just have a shammy as healer and you'll need to keep a pact on him (while keeping one on you). Or all your mana might be twitched to someone else to keep the group going, etc.

And in the end game, mastering charmed pets is key, although you probably won't be charming much in groups. And one of the most important aspects of a good necro is making sure your pet assists the tank and does not break mezzed mobs.

There are lots of ways to play a necro, and DE race isn't going to make or break those roles. It was great to be close to Neriak but it also wasn't hard to get friendly to OT and bank and sell there (as well as get an OT hammer). That will change if you go to KC to xp but it's nice to have for sure.

I'm not missing that Iksar penalty either. Go DE!
Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Sarnak

also, once you get the lich line of spells that turns you into a skele I believe you can bank and buy spells in neriak as an iksar. Im not going to lie, the regen does make life a lot easier but by no means makes the other races unviable. Play which ever class you prefer to look at. If you like the way a DE looks in a robe more than the way an iksar does then by all means play that DE. In the end the most important part of the game is fashionquest : ). Starting stats are pretty minute at level 60 and while the regen helps a lot while leveling, it is only a small bonus later in the game.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Sarnak

Have your wife roll a DE Cleric and you'll be sound as a pound. BooM !
Old 10-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Kobold

There are arguments to be made for the Erudite Necromancer, the primary argument being that they require far less Intelligence gear to cap, and can thusly fill other slots with other stuff unlike Iksar who has to focus on Int more, but, unfortunately, Dark Elf Necromancers don't come close to Iksar or Erudite.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Dark Elf necros can win Fashion Quest with that sweet purple chain mail.
Closed Thread