Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 AM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone wants to do 8 balls and fuck 25 year old brunettes all day, that’s irrelevant.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 12-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaveh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Addiction is personal weakness.
"When scientists began to study addictive behavior in the 1930s, people addicted were thought to be morally flawed and lacking in willpower..." —National Institute on Drug Abuse

Addiction is a double life, often with the second overtaking the first in terms of importance, having been developed in an attempt to regain equilibrium. A large portion of veterans who suffer from physical/mental trauma avoid treatment for chemical dependence due in part to VA wait times, but also because it is perceived as a weakness. This stigma perpetuates the issue by isolating the addict even as addiction becomes more commonplace.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/r..._abuse_vet.asp
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5587184/
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

https://www.ocregister.com/2008/07/2...drug-overdose/

Quote:
Duterte has the right idea
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...051124756.html

Quote:
Ishmael becomes a junior lieutenant for his skill in executing prisoners of war and is put in charge of a small group of other child soldiers. As a child soldier Ishmael is exposed to extreme violence and drug usage. The drugs he used are described in the book as "brown brown", "white pills", cocaine, and marijuana.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Long_Way_Gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJPvPZwUSKY

By not having the same degree of exposure to violence/illicit substances, his American peers were weaker than him as competitors and not even fully capable of understanding why that was.

Quote:
It’s a manifestation of a supremely selfish and unexamined life.
Stephen King, Hubert Selby Jr., and Charles Bukowski all knew addiction differently, but about as intimately as one can without dying. That doesn't mean those experiences were responsible for their genius, but that the examination of life itself and consideration for other lives did not cease during those bouts of personal weakness, as indicated by the volume and content their creative output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafym [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really have a talent for writing. Do you have some sort of blog?
While certain blogs headed up by independent journalists and history buffs are great sources of information, the format causes the writing to shift from open/active discussion to dictation and all with the forethought of reaching larger audiences and subsequent advertisers. Blogs/vlogs are for those with enough working knowledge to present facts in ways that engage even the most casual reader/viewer, making them feel as though they are active participants. Instagram is even suitable for this, as the photos allow for detailed captions, having no character limit afaik. A good example of these types would be lindybeige (youtube) and myleslea (instagram). Forums are for everyone else who, not having the same expertise, actively participate in correcting and ribbing each other through an exchange of links/quotes that are more or less useful in the end. I am everyone else.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Kobold

I doubt this game will ever be released at this point. If it does, I highly doubt it will be the holy grail people keep thinking it is. I've seen videos and screenshots and so far it just doesn't look all that great. Then again to be absolutely fair what we've been seeing is early alpha stuff. But how long has this thing been in production? Also they lost Brad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That just really sucks and he was a visionary. Not sure how they well they can do without his insight around. Though I'm pretty sure they have a direction they are taking and following. R.I.P Brad you created us such great adventures.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Banned

"Hey man, what if we ripped off all these MUDs and put it in 3D like Doom."

The VisionTM! Man, we really lost another Steve Jobs there. Thank goodness Musk is still alive or life wouldn't be worth our daily soy.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Stephen King, Hubert Selby Jr., and Charles Bukowski all knew addiction differently, but about as intimately as one can without dying. That doesn't mean those experiences were responsible for their genius, but that the examination of life itself and consideration for other lives did not cease during those bouts of personal weakness, as indicated by the volume and content their creative output.

Beautifully put my friend, beautifully put indeed.

All of your other points were quite interesting, but this one was the only one that got me.

One of the many ideas I have always championed, specially in youth, is to squash all normatives of pretense.

WHat I mean by this?

That one of the flaws of old generations is , to better fit into a social spectrum, fall back into mental concepts that flirt with generalization due to peer pressure.

This seemingly old concept is the woe of the modern virtual grounds due to accessibility it affords.

VIdeo> https://youtu.be/BgRoiTWkBHU

So much I could add, but it is unnecessary.

Loved your comment!

Big hug to you! Have fun![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While certain blogs headed up by independent journalists and history buffs are great sources of information, the format causes the writing to shift from open/active discussion to dictation and all with the forethought of reaching larger audiences and subsequent advertisers. Blogs/vlogs are for those with enough working knowledge to present facts in ways that engage even the most casual reader/viewer, making them feel as though they are active participants. Instagram is even suitable for this, as the photos allow for detailed captions, having no character limit afaik. A good example of these types would be lindybeige (youtube) and myleslea (instagram). Forums are for everyone else who, not having the same expertise, actively participate in correcting and ribbing each other through an exchange of links/quotes that are more or less useful in the end. I am everyone else.
I've never been more entertained by someone's writing in my whole life [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Superstitious lines of text read better coming from an NPC in Norrath rather than an individual on Earth. The stigma addicts have faced is part of a larger education problem. Who cares about PR other than big corporations, politicians, and social media influencers preoccupied with image and polls? Looking back, it's reasonable to say that McQuaid earned his name in the industry almost in spite of public relations, which underscores the quality of his work and the games he worked on. A supposed overdose is only fodder for the usual trolls who seek relevance through outrage and are content with gaining it anonymously online. Still, even that is a game of sorts. Brad himself had said that indifference was worse than any negative feedback or trolling. But if anything, the gaming community ought to be the first to empathize or at least relate, considering the number of addicts within it, some recovering and others on-again, off-again. This is of course assuming your assumption is right, which is not much different from the blind leading the blind.
There's no superstition around the fact that Brad had a drug addiction in his past and relapse is highly potential among hardcore users. PR is important if you have investors/customers that have had continued interest into your project especially when the main lead head falls over and dies unexpectedly. Let me ask you this; what did Brad die from? Why has the company withheld this information? I seen game devs pass away from all corners of the industry, when they do, usually their closest friends or the company they work for tells the press and community on what happened. Take a look at the passing of Matt McDonald. DBG wasn't shy of mentioning he committed suicide as the cause of his death. For Brad, the only notion we got was that he just 'died' which will immediately make people speculate considering his past endeavors. I'm not trying be negative towards Brad like he's some type of bad person for being addicted to drugs, but rather just facing the reality that this is the most likely scenario on how he went out.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then again to be absolutely fair what we've been seeing is early alpha stuff. But how long has this thing been in production?
The game has been in pre-alpha since December 2017 but production has been going on since mid-2014.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormotus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the way. I have spoken
Old 12-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no superstition around the fact that Brad had a drug addiction in his past and relapse is highly potential among hardcore users.
Everyone seems to be working with the same unsubstantiated, secondhand information, so there are no facts only suspicions. Did any of McQuaid's former colleagues ever speak about it publicly? Was there ever any mention of it in the news—a damning photo, incident, arrest, or court appearance? If not than it's hearsay, which is why online articles rarely even allude to it in parentheses. Also, there are other comments floating around the internet that call into question the long-standing drug narrative.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comm..._brad_mcquaid/

Bior37
3 points
2 months ago
Seems some people in this thread didn't even read what was said.

It was a pretty thorough, hastily written response.

My favorite thing is the "Brad was on drugs" things refuses to die despite the fact that it was debunked ages ago. The rumor came from ONE disgruntled fan-site owner who posted a lot of conspiracy nonsense back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PR is important if you have investors/customers that have had continued interest into your project especially when the main lead head falls over and dies unexpectedly.
With the passing of McQuaid, Project Faerthale is likely now more than just a proof of concept, as it can serve as a touchstone or reference point for the dev team to fall back on when unsure about the next step forward. That should minimize any concerns about the game's future. Strategic advertising seems more worthwhile than constant PR. The most recent trailer for Skyblivion is a good example of this, especially when compared to that channel's streamed content which draws in significantly less viewers (though it is cool to watch their artists bring character models to life).

Quote:
Let me ask you this; what did Brad die from?
More importantly, what did he live for? To quote from Bukowski, "You can't beat death but you can beat death in life, sometimes." For McQuaid, EverQuest was one of those times. Vanguard could have been and, by most accounts, should have been another one. Pantheon could be as well, though posthumously. Time will tell. It is strange that the last virtual world of his is named Terminus, unless of course he had been aware of an illness and simply didn't want that distracting from the game itself. Who knows. Speculation is for those who try to finish other people's sentences; even if you're right, it's still bad manners.
Closed Thread