Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar or Troll. Too many ugly ogres, and regen is grrrrrreat. Only problem with Iksar is the travesty of a 2hs animation, so either promise yourself to always use 2hb or 1hs, or roll Troll.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

well I mean, judging by your sig, you've already played troll a shitton. might as well switch gears and go ogre to have a different feel altogether.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Fire Giant

OR go Erudite, perhaps Human?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsteinrx7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the troll regen is alright, but high lvls its not noticeable.
At 60, Troll/Iksar regen 8/tick more than others standing, 9 more feigned, and 11 more while sitting.

People still pay 60k+ for fungi tunics for 15/tick regen. It is certainly noticeable. In fact, when I sit down after a fight solo to regen up, my health comes back as fast as my mana.... faster than my mana when I have my fungi tunic on my SK. When you solo as an SK at 50+, it takes 45 sec to 2 min to complete a kill depending on how high level the mob is. That's 64 to 160 more effective hp you have than a non-regen race during the fight. It also means you can take more damage in the fight without slowing down your overall kill rate because you will get the health back while you are medding up anyway at 110 more hp per minute.

FSI is great. It really is. I think Ogre shaman has a clear advantage over non-ogres for this reason, but for SKs, I don't see it. FSI might save you a few deaths when pulling in tight quarters, but I haven't had much trouble working around that, and I have found the regen makes soloing for xp efficient enough to be bearable.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Large Rat

Troll all the way. FSI is cool, but not game changing. Iksars are also nice, but until you get high end Velious gear, you give up mitigation.

By the end, regen will give you the biggest bonus. FSI still allows you to be interrupted and stunned from any other angle and by spells. Unless you plan on running backwards while pulling, it's not that big of a deal then either. Most other stats balance out in the end, but more regen is always nice.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

What the two above said. FSI is key for shamans, not so much for SKs (unless maybe some particular situations...). It all boils down to the looks. I liked DE and Troll, went Troll because of DEs are too small. A shadowknight must be BADASS, not a wimpy, fragile elf who you could step on and crush.

Trolls look badass for that class (evil, asshole look), the regen is like having an innate half of a fungi worn forever, slam is a big plus.

The only downside is that you're big and in tight spaces it's a pain to pull, but you have the same issue with ogres, and shrink potions / AoN's do exist.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Kobold

My Ogre SK is lvl 39 currently. The entire time leveling up I thought in my head "Boy I wish I had troll regen, this is slow" until last night. I had to train out of mistmoore and I got to the point where I knew I was a goner and was going to die until at 5% hp I realized "HEY! I have FSI!!" So I turned to face the 8 mobs beating on me and casted FD. Guess what! I didnt get stunned and survived....Chalk this one up for FSI.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Sarnak

The first character I ever saw in Everquest was my brother's Troll. Ever since then, I've thought they were just one of the coolest, funniest races of Everquest. It was a no-brainer for me to make my Shadow Knight a Troll.

That said, if we could make gnome SK's in project 1999, I would have done that. If only for the ridiculous factor of a little evil gnome.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

I love Gnome as race choice for necros. Cute little thingie who smiles at everyone and runs around wiggling these short legs... than freaks out and rises the dead from hell and kills everything.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What the two above said. FSI is key for shamans, not so much for SKs (unless maybe some particular situations...). It all boils down to the looks. I liked DE and Troll, went Troll because of DEs are too small. A shadowknight must be BADASS, not a wimpy, fragile elf who you could step on and crush.

Trolls look badass for that class (evil, asshole look), the regen is like having an innate half of a fungi worn forever, slam is a big plus.

The only downside is that you're big and in tight spaces it's a pain to pull, but you have the same issue with ogres, and shrink potions / AoN's do exist.
Not sure if you have yet, but you should check out any R A Salvatore novels regarding drow (dark elves), they truly are one malevolent, evil and cunning race. I used to think they way that you do, but if I had to re-roll, it would definitely be a DE, because although they a small, role play wise I rather be on the bad side of an ogre or troll than a dark elf. =)
Closed Thread