Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

If this had a pole Id vote yes, even if of course the pole doesnt matter but because yes I want to suffer!

There are so many new things I have learned in the last couple weeks.

Green99 could be substantially harder than blue99 haha! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They could, but you could back in 1999 when the game launched. In fact, the official Brady Strategy guide lists turning up your gamma as a "tip".
Memory is BS and all that, but as I remember it that gamma control was far more limited. Even with gamma maxxed going through the Blackburrow tunnel was still a little challenging (and if you didn't know that tip ...)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Sarnak

Rogean has mentioned it in another thread so it seems like it's going to be in. I've been thinking about it a lot because I believe I'm going to play a Bard, and was going to be Human... Anyone remember what easily accessible/low level items there are that provide some form of night vision? And is there a Bard song for it?
Old 09-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been thinking about it a lot because I believe I'm going to play a Bard, and was going to be Human... Anyone remember what easily accessible/low level items there are that provide some form of night vision?
fire beetle eye -> GLS
Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just bought a 6k Eyepatch of the Shadows ... for my level 22 Cleric (who does have a Fungi and and a Velium Crystal Staff ... but is otherwise almost completely naked because I don't believe in stat gear for leveling)
I came here intending to read this entire thread but only made it this far... you don’t believe in stat gear for leveling but you believe in a fungi? Do tell.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I came here intending to read this entire thread but only made it this far... you don’t believe in stat gear for leveling but you believe in a fungi? Do tell.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] one of my favorite rants.

A fungi matters. A Velium Crystal Staff (which even at 22 still procs for like 25% of the mob's health) matters. Your maximum health/mana doesn't matter.

Most people think "+25 HP is awesome, it means I won't die when I otherwise would have, because I'll have 25 more HP to live with!" But in practice, you living or dying almost never comes down to 25 HP: it comes down to you playing well or not, doing something stupid/risky or not, and your gear doesn't change that . To put it another way, you as a player will probably do the same thing when your HP bar is at 80% (or whatever percent), regardless of the whether it represents 25 more or less actual HP.

My (pretty strongly held) opinion is that levels are awesome. Each one makes your character significantly more powerful. Noticeably more powerful if you get spells or a discipline or something. So if you're going to take time away from leveling, whatever you do needs to be better than that, or else the "opportunity cost" is too high. Even when I'm twinking, there's a cost (in both plat and time) to filling slots, so I don't bother for slots that just give stats.

Getting JBoots, Lev cloaks, or any other useful clicky can save you more time than it takes to get. The same is true with any DPS increase (raw damage/delay increases plus procs and haste), any form of regen or mana regen, new spells, etc., because all of that helps you level faster (you kill faster or recover faster), making up for the time you weren't leveling.

But stat gear just takes time and give you no equivalent increase in leveling. When I twink casters I don't bother with it ... and honestly even my highly twinked Ranger (he's got a Fungi, the wannabe cloak of flames, a BFG, etc.) still has a few slots with utter garbage (his waist slot is even empty ATM because I never bothered replacing his FBSS when I got the cloak) ... and he'd have more if he hadn't just hit 45 not long ago, making me load him up with Tolan's for the clickies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-27-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Old 09-27-2019, 10:50 PM
Fire Giant

Short tunnel from Halas dock was all blind guesswork even in Kunark (2000). Half the time you'd just end up back at the dock or even in that ridiculous moat getting run over by the raft. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-27-2019, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Short tunnel from Halas dock was all blind guesswork even in Kunark (2000). Half the time you'd just end up back at the dock or even in that ridiculous moat getting run over by the raft. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a barb shaman alt back on live. I remember swapping his junky shield for a lantern at night cause I couldn't see a got damn thing. Make light sources great again!
Old 09-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] one of my favorite rants.

A fungi matters. A Velium Crystal Staff (which even at 22 still procs for like 25% of the mob's health) matters. Your maximum health/mana doesn't matter.

Most people think "+25 HP is awesome, it means I won't die when I otherwise would have, because I'll have 25 more HP to live with!" But in practice, you living or dying almost never comes down to 25 HP: it comes down to you playing well or not, doing something stupid/risky or not, and your gear doesn't change that . To put it another way, you as a player will probably do the same thing when your HP bar is at 80% (or whatever percent), regardless of the whether it represents 25 more or less actual HP.

My (pretty strongly held) opinion is that levels are awesome. Each one makes your character significantly more powerful. Noticeably more powerful if you get spells or a discipline or something. So if you're going to take time away from leveling, whatever you do needs to be better than that, or else the "opportunity cost" is too high. Even when I'm twinking, there's a cost (in both plat and time) to filling slots, so I don't bother for slots that just give stats.

Getting JBoots, Lev cloaks, or any other useful clicky can save you more time than it takes to get. The same is true with any DPS increase (raw damage/delay increases plus procs and haste), any form of regen or mana regen, new spells, etc., because all of that helps you level faster (you kill faster or recover faster), making up for the time you weren't leveling.

But stat gear just takes time and give you no equivalent increase in leveling. When I twink casters I don't bother with it ... and honestly even my highly twinked Ranger (he's got a Fungi, the wannabe cloak of flames, a BFG, etc.) still has a few slots with utter garbage (his waist slot is even empty ATM because I never bothered replacing his FBSS when I got the cloak) ... and he'd have more if he hadn't just hit 45 not long ago, making me load him up with Tolan's for the clickies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
A well written response, and not at all what I was expecting. It is not that you don't believe in +stats for leveling, but you do not believe in the time requirement to find and purchase +stats gear. Very interesting take.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A well written response, and not at all what I was expecting. It is not that you don't believe in +stats for leveling, but you do not believe in the time requirement to find and purchase +stats gear. Very interesting take.
I'm down with what Loramin says, though I would add that for any class that takes melee hits while grinding xp, it's well worth buying some cheap AC pieces, even just banded armor to fill out any slots that you aren't putting "real" twink gear in. Hell, if you're in a hurry, just vendor bought leather from your starting town is worth the coin.
Closed Thread