Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: What's Next for P99?
Green 2.0 : new progression server that eventually merges into Green 1.0 45 24.19%
Purple 99 : VZ/TZ server race based pvp 31 16.67%
Wipe Red99 : peak players is 30 anyways, will increase ms by 0.1 on Green and Blue 18 9.68%
Merge Green 1.0 into Blue 92 49.46%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2022, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been saying this for years. Not necessarily so another dev could make a "more classic" server but just in general. P99 has a super solid base that if made open source could spawn some really cool spinoff projects with different ideas and mechanics for people with different tastes. It might cause some people in this community to have an aneurysm but I'd wager that a p99 spinoff with some MINOR added QoL and instances would be fairly popular with a good number of folks that prefer that type of gameplay. Some kind of happy medium between P99 and TLP's. Or how about P99 based server with additional custom endgame content? There's a boatload of possibilities but for one reason or another the powers that be have decided they don't want this to be a reality.

The reason why they refuse to go open source is a big sketchy question mark for me. If this whole project's entire purpose was to just create a "museum" as close to classic as possible and was a strictly not for profit fan made project (as has been stated and as per the legal agreement between P99 and Daybreak) then what's the reason for closed source? Generally things are closed source because of monetary and anti competitive reasons.
I think one thing is that you can take the current open EQ EMU server stuff, and make your own database using the P99 wiki.

So I dunno. I think those theoretical spin off projects are pretty doable for anyone who actually had the time and skill to create one.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To those upset about asymmetrical pvp.

Asymmetrical pvp is fun. If you give the weaker side opportunities to have the same gear/stats/stealth. And still can achieve victories.

Really fun to switch to the smaller side. Hardcoded pvp stats with stat caps at 150 in pvp and maximum 5 lvl range difference on pvp atk/def/resist regardleswould of character lvl would achieve this. Unresistable nukes. And no exp death from mobs. Everyone respawns in full gear. Bind only in melee bindpoints only. Let weaker forces pell raid targets, ks, train, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Carebear pvp with no xp loss / corpse runs could be pretty cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's probably the only way you could get the normal player base to give PvP a try. One of the worst things about getting PvP on Red, especially with blatant cheating, is them corpse dumping you deep in a dungeon where it took you a while to grind down with full gear. Then you gotta get real fucking sketchy by hoping you survive a handful of run, root, camp sequences to get back to your corpse, just to be griefed again. If at least you spawned with your shit, it wouldn't be so soul crushing for PvP, and would actually make it more fun. The PvP CR is painful.
If this is what it takes to get more people interested in PVP, then I'd be all for it. I know the average bluebie must have tried PVP at one point in their gaming life and enjoyed it, whether it was WoW pvp or another game. However for some reason, a lot of people have this weird aversion specifically to EverQuest PVP.

So water it down a little bit, make it easier for the carebears... thats fine. It would still be an absolute blast. They could even make custom teams & have lockout timers to prevent people zerging back into the fray with all your gear.

It would solve ALL problems that currently plague blue & green in the process.

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 04-21-2022, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think one thing is that you can take the current open EQ EMU server stuff, and make your own database using the P99 wiki.

So I dunno. I think those theoretical spin off projects are pretty doable for anyone who actually had the time and skill to create one.
The amount of time and work involved in doing this is significant. So much so that very few choose to actually take a shot at it and even fewer actually create anything decent. If P99 was fully open source anyone with the skills could whip up a clone and make some tweaks and be up and running with a viable and unique project of their own that might cater to a different audience or be the solution to some folks disappointment with certain aspects of P99.

What I'm getting at is what's the incentive for P99 to stay closed source? If there's no money involved why not just let the community go wild and do what they want?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rager and Quitter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I can accept that YOU haven't seen anyone cheat, does not mean it doesn't happen. But the only realistic scenarios are that you're either really lucky, horribly inobservant, or lying. I have seen numerous boxers, had players admit to using tracking software, script, etc. It happens a lot, and the fact you haven't encountered it is remarkable. Not to mention I rarely, rarely ever see people without at least /roleplay on. I think the only person who do3s that regularly is Guava, if he even plays still.

Literally I have LEAD raid guilds here I have never seen anyone using your tracking software you are coming across as psycho for even suggesting that. Boxers sure; blue is full of them too so is green. You are comming across as ultra deranged.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by totmanc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Literally I have LEAD raid guilds here I have never seen anyone using your tracking software you are coming across as psycho for even suggesting that. Boxers sure; blue is full of them too so is green. You are comming across as ultra deranged.
Oh no doubt I'm deranged. As much as you. We are actively playing elf simulator, but more than that we're sitting on forums talking about elf simulator during a time when we probably can't play elf simulator if we wanted to (at work, at school, fucking our anime pillows, etc.). My little brother used to use the very shit I'm talking about, and I've had way, way too many instances of people finding me across Norrath in seemingly impossible ways.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If this is what it takes to get more people interested in PVP, then I'd be all for it. I know the average bluebie must have tried PVP at one point in their gaming life and enjoyed it, whether it was WoW pvp or another game. However for some reason, a lot of people have this weird aversion specifically to EverQuest PVP.

So water it down a little bit, make it easier for the carebears... thats fine. It would still be an absolute blast. They could even make custom teams & have lockout timers to prevent people zerging back into the fray with all your gear.

It would solve ALL problems that currently plague blue & green in the process.
The problem with red isn’t an aversion to EQ pvp, it’s the players on red that are a problem; they literally grief any new players endlessly and run them off the server. And then they complain that no one will come play with them lol
Old 04-21-2022, 08:15 PM
Banned

sorry you got pvp'd
(lol)
Old 04-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with red isn’t an aversion to EQ pvp, it’s the players on red that are a problem; they literally grief any new players endlessly and run them off the server. And then they complain that no one will come play with them lol
It's funny how apparent it is to everyone but the actual R99ers. Probably because they're so used to seeing and exuding that behavior that it's the norm for them. A handful of those players here are the forums are being disingenuous by saying that's not the case, or just flat out lying hoping new players will join the server so they can have their 30 minutes of fun before the newbies give up.

I even love when they say "oh yeah, everyone join, we'll PL you and gear you, bring your whole guild, we'll set them all up" then when you join and /ooc "hey guys, I'm new!" You get a string of "fuck you!"s and "go back to blue, you baby bitch!" Super warm, and chill, and welcoming, just like they say lol
Old 04-21-2022, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sorry you got pvp'd
(lol)
I too tried red when it opened. I was playing a monk and could not find anyone to group with. A ranger made it his mission to hunt me down every time I logged on. I had no recourse to snare + arrows. A dozen deaths over a weeks time and that was it for me. If that's what pvp on red is, then I'm good.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:46 AM
Sarnak

I wonder what Rogean thinks when reading this, and it has any influence at all on him