Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think wizards are undervalued in groups. Especially if fights go messy, nothing better than having a wizard who can burn through his mana to quickly take out 1 or 2 mobs.
This is true. Wizard can do some ghetto ccing with roots and stop a complete heal with the line of stuns too, but most wizards don't have the wherewithal to use their entire tool set.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think wizards are undervalued in groups. Especially if fights go messy, nothing better than having a wizard who can burn through his mana to quickly take out 1 or 2 mobs.
If they aren't afk...like they normally are.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is true. Wizard can do some ghetto ccing with roots and stop a complete heal with the line of stuns too, but most wizards don't have the wherewithal to use their entire tool set.
I struggle to see how being just a worse enchanter is any sort of argument as to why wizards are undervalued in groups.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Wizards are incapable of doing this at the higher levels. MOBs have ridiculous amounts of HP and higher resists. The best you can hope for with a Wizard is to get a clicky item from Veeshan's Peak or Velketor, and then do a steady stream of DPS just like any melee character. Except that your DPS will be lower than a Rogue or Monk. Trying to use a bunch of quick nukes chained together will only draw aggro onto you. PvE Everquest is very poorly balanced for Wizards (and Velious era PvP isn't good for them either...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I struggle to see how being just a worse enchanter is any sort of argument as to why wizards are undervalued in groups.
You're correct. The stun line is not reliable at the higher levels, so Wizards can't even really use that from their supposed toolkit. Comparing anything to an Enchanter is usually unfair because Enchanters are just the best, but yeah Wizards are very much near the bottom in terms of PvE group value. THE worst in the game if they don't have one of those rare clickies, IMO.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:38 AM
Sarnak

General remark: This is EQ. You're not supposed to min max.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard is for the most baddest of dudes - sky five to all my wiz homeboys
Old 09-25-2018, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The point is when played right they're useful in a group. But I've never been one of those dorks that has to have ideal class compositions in a group anyway. This game is so easy a group of 6 wizards can do most of the leveling content.

I've never had problems stunning and rooting on my wizard when dungeon crawling at any level. Raid mobs are obviously a different story, but a wizard is just supposed to nuke those anyway.
Last edited by Ravager; 09-25-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Kobold

I have to say that I made a wizard about 2 years ago and never leveled it until recently because of all the negative propaganda. I went the typical druid route for first character and leveled easily to 46, ported for plat and twinked some melee to start leveling.

I actually started leveling the wizard after teasing another wizard player who was telling me how fun wizards are. In leveling to 59 here are the things I learned:

1. Wizards aren't desired in groups- it was very hard to get groups in popular zones, unrest, MM CoM due to the quantity of melee dps lfg and wizard afk reputation

2. The best way to overcome this bias is to play your character well- once accepted into a group I received invites from them each time I logged on

3. Wizards need to know their role and class- in groups wizards have a very solid tool set

I pulled easily with staff of flux or eyes and tanks could grab agro very easily

For cc either a root pull to split mobs, nuke adds and drag away to root or simply burn the add down. For caster mobs the last option worked great, tanks would be sitting there getting nuked from a distance waiting for mob to run to camp or tanking one already while other mob nuked from range, I would unload on it and quickly kill it

remove damage shields, wizards have a dispel line

control chanter pets- a quick stun to help them recharm

Evacs save long cr's

and finally DPS when tank has agro and I don't need to do any of the above I can med and nuke and with clarity and/or potg keep a steady dps going

4. Now that I am raiding my role is get everyone to dungeons/ targets fast, kite stuff with temperate flux, no summoning and nuke mobs with draughts and lures. with raid buffs and gear mana isn't an issue so nuke away

5. Aoeing and quading is very relaxing- here you can kill, afk, kill and get a lot done at home without agroing the wife

As you can see a wizard does bring a lot to the table and if you overcome some of the bias you can enjoy the class. In the end if you have a desire to play a wizard give it a shot

TLDR play what you want-wizards are fun too
Old 10-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Orc

If you want some more action play a bard or shaman. They will both keep you busy and they're group friendly.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

Wizard was fun in PoP, I'm not sure I could do it at this point in the timeline.