Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Aviak

Wizards have a bad reputation in groups. Particularly on Blue, because of the ease of access to so many high end items for melee, the dps of a wizard absolutely pales in comparison to virtually everyone else. Unless you have a few specific items, mainly a nuke clicky via robe, there just isn't much you can do about this.

Green is a different story, with some of your utility spells playing a much bigger role in vanilla, especially since itemization for melees kind of sucks in this era. However, a lot of players still carry the mentality of Blue with them into Green, and will pass on a wizard for virtually anybody else. Until you make some friends, or have proved you're not a "Netflix and Nuke" type Wizard, you're going to spend a great deal of time in the game by yourself.

Rogues, on the other hand, don't have much trouble finding groups at all. You don't carry the hybrid penalty with you that most other melee suffer from, which is a major plus. The problem really lies in when you can't find a group, since your options are pretty limited on things you can kill by yourself.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:30 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enshadowed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards have a bad reputation in groups. Particularly on Blue, because of the ease of access to so many high end items for melee, the dps of a wizard absolutely pales in comparison to virtually everyone else. Unless you have a few specific items, mainly a nuke clicky via robe, there just isn't much you can do about this.

Green is a different story, with some of your utility spells playing a much bigger role in vanilla, especially since itemization for melees kind of sucks in this era. However, a lot of players still carry the mentality of Blue with them into Green, and will pass on a wizard for virtually anybody else. Until you make some friends, or have proved you're not a "Netflix and Nuke" type Wizard, you're going to spend a great deal of time in the game by yourself.

Rogues, on the other hand, don't have much trouble finding groups at all. You don't carry the hybrid penalty with you that most other melee suffer from, which is a major plus. The problem really lies in when you can't find a group, since your options are pretty limited on things you can kill by yourself.
Holy geez, ok... It felt so much different to me way back in the day, when I played my wizard. I mean, back then I did pay attention to my class and would argue that I'm still not a "Netflix and Nuke" style player either. Yet if the bad reputation, and mediocre damage still looms in the air...well, that's just a big bummer to me.

Regardless, I probably will still take up the challenge and see how it goes. I appreciate your input, thank you.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

*half elf warrioress of Beautoxxulous (1)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure how many MAIN rogues there are on P99. I suspect, not too many.

I mained rogue on live and can confirm it's a very straightforward class to play. The only real moments you may actually have decisions to make are during CRs in Hate or something like that. Rest of the time, it's pretty much /assist the tank and press backstab every few seconds.

HOWEVER - due to this precise nature of the class, it's a great class to main if you're an active officer, raid leader or guild leader and/or spend a lot of time in tells and generally dealing with stuff other than killing mobs.
Lots of ppl will switch to Rogue mains when Kunark opens for sure.

Warriors as well (and of course there will be a FLOOD of Iksar Monks)
Old 04-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Banned

It's a lot easier to farm tradeskill and 1-35's quest items or drops on a rogue then a war imo aswell... much more afk friendly. But I guess a lot of turn their rogue into an alt and leave them camped out at a loot spot.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by damus1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not the slightest bit surprised except with the fact so many people somehow find druid enjoyable
Druid was always considered to be OP in classic. It's not until tanks start to get really large health pools that Druids mana pool can't keep up. This happens with Kunark/Velious level gear. That said they will always be played for ports and because quad kiting is fun and viable way to achieve max level.
Last edited by Lendari; 04-13-2020 at 11:04 PM..
Old 04-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Sarnak

Wow Chinetter, great work. I'm not actively playing now but look at the forums once in awhile. Logged in just to give you kudos on putting those stats together.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:53 AM
Orc

Thanks.

I may re-do it this weekend because I'm curious how much/little the COVID-19 sheltering has shifted the in-game class population.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:30 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinetter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks.

I may re-do it this weekend because I'm curious how much/little the COVID-19 sheltering has shifted the in-game class population.
Was gonna say, I'm a returning player from... a decade? ago, been reading the forums for some time and decided upon a Pally. Gfay and Crushbone is flooded with Pallys. Was shocked as your data is so recent lol! Would be interested to see some updated data. Good job though, very helpful and interesting.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by damus1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
melees suck until kunark. I'm not the slightest bit surprised except with the fact so many people somehow find druid enjoyable
it can solo, group, powerlevel, and make lots of money through ports which requires no camping or farming dedication in any interval