Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by formallydickman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree it had many flaws, I merely said it was head and shoulders above anything in EQ.
I agree completely.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Sarnak

Tell him that the classic server has a decent population with all types of players from raiders and roleplayers to tradeskillers and questers.

Tell him there are usually players in every zone, and many of these players are helpful and friendly. These people are playing for FREE. I think that makes this a unique community where players are here mainly because they love EQ.

Show him some of the forum posts from here. Some are quite entertaining, and give a little insight as to what the playerbase is like.

If all that fails, go the alcohol route. Get him drunk, install the game for him, fire it up and run thru some of the old zones.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Fire Giant

The best you can do is make it easy for him to try it, and then drop the subject.

It sounds however, as if he is just not that interested. If he really thinks WoW is better than EQ, then you have no prayer.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by formallydickman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally think WoW's pvp was exceptional compared to EQ's pvp. Can't blame someone for wanting some pvp with a smidgen of balance and quality.

Also, I find it funny that we get on our high horses and praise our beloved EQ when we are playing an emulation of EQ that follows a very, very short span of Everquest's runtime. Everquest itself turned into "Everquest for idiots" otherwise you'd be playing live [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having played an enormous amount of self-described 'pvp' mmorpgs, and even most normal rpgs pvp aspects, I totally disagree with you.

Everquest pvp was very dynamic and personal. There were heroes and leaders in every single class, people who were known to be absolutely deadly with rogues or beastlords, and everywhere in between, that wouldn't be normally intuitive.

The harsh death penalty (which many of these games ignore) was an immense motivator for the survival role at which many people excel but are not rewarded for in many games, not to mention pure excitement at every turn.

After Shadowbane, Darkfall, EVE, Everquest, SWG, Anarchy Online, PotBS, UO, WoW, in no particular order, and among others... I'd have to say a disproportionately large number of my most vivid memories are from Everquest pvp. Sullon Zek was like... Afghanistan meets the Gaza Strip on a bad day.

Those were the days of our lives.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!!
You sound like Uncle Rico reminiscing about the glory days of high school football. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A fair amount of people could prattle off a list similar to yours and not everyone would agree on which of those had the best pvp, especially when nostalgia kicks in. There are just too many variables (most of which don't even have anything to do with the game, but the community you happen to be surrounded by) for everyone to have the same experience. Guess I was talking from a game mechanic standpoint. Vivid memories from rose colored glasses, while certainly enjoyable, are not an accurate measure of reality.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES!!!
You sound like Uncle Rico reminiscing about the glory days of high school football. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A fair amount of people could prattle off a list similar to yours and not everyone would agree on which of those had the best pvp, especially when nostalgia kicks in. There are just too many variables (most of which don't even have anything to do with the game, but the community you happen to be surrounded by) for everyone to have the same experience. Guess I was talking from a game mechanic standpoint. Vivid memories from rose colored glasses, while certainly enjoyable, are not an accurate measure of reality.
That is exactly why I listed the exact game mechanisms whereby pvp becomes more exciting, more meaningful, and just plain works on multiple levels. If you want to poo-poo, bring some toilet paper next time... this thread is about how to get his brother to play, not to shit on each other's plans.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Sarnak

Plat, items, Power level a lil bit....good to go.

Or Twink the hell out of a guy, give it to him...and play side by side.

or..to be a evil bastard. Go on a "trip" i dont really know where but make sure its a hotel with wifi, bring a laptop...and only have Everquest on it, he'll have no choice but to play, with his premade account all set up ya digg?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

just apply for an IP exemption and be patient!

--your friend Karsten
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Aviak

Have to agree with what many have said. I also used to play on live with my bro. He got me into it, we both started during Vanilla EQ back in 1999. We went through several different chars until we each settled on a main which for me was a necro and him a mage. We duoed all the time all the way up until about 06 when we lost interest as the more expansions that came degraded EQ more and more. Not to mention at this time I was accepted into Beta for VG. So after him seeing me play VG we both just jumped on that game and played on and off for a few years.

Well we all know what happened to VG. Its still there but its like on life support. I tried to show him P99 and recounted the tales of our Norrathian adventures from long ago.

His response was basically a chuckle and similar to the OP's. After our expirience in VG, he just can't get back into the old antiquated play style of EQ grind with no flying mounts, low end graphics, etc especially with the limited time he has now days.

Basically all you can do is offer, if hes truly interested he will play, otherwise atleast you have your memories.
Closed Thread