Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 02-22-2024, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Default Dragged back in.

Alright after a long time away, it looks like I am going to be getting back into P99. They can put a man on the moon but apparently not create another MMO where people actually interact and play together. So here we are in 2024 back playing a 25 year old game.

Think I am finally going to play a Druid. I know there are a lot of them but I have always wanted to and never have. I'm playing a Half Elf because I think they look cool and I like it from an RP perspective min/max be damned.

Here are my questions:

1. The game crashes almost every time I camp. I read the tech forums and I know about switching compatibility mode but that causes a whole other set of problems. Anyone else know of a simple fix? Otherwise I will just live with it.

2. I see youtube videos where people seem to have a custom interface. How do you get that? I usually like to keep it classic but my old eyes can't read the large print at fontsize 5. My native res is 2k and I have to either play at 1080 or find some way to make the interface bigger.

Thanks to all. On the other hand, why oh why am I going to start feeding this addiction again?
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

I did see a list of interfaces...should have looked before asking.

Can anyone recommend one? I am specifically most concerned about just making the size of the interface and chat a bit larger. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

RustleUI

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=359465

Also, learn to embrace charming animals. It is the way.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:46 PM
Kobold

I run the game in WinEQ which seems to resolve the majority of issues people have, I still had the crash on camp issue and needed to use the compatibility mode trick so maybe just adding WinEQ to your setup will get you to a place of being issue free.

I personally don't use any of the custom UIs, feels a bit like cheating when there are some that add bag slots that don't actually exist in game and things like that but there are commands to change the font size if you look up the list of commands on the P99 Wiki page.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

Thanks guys, taking a look at RustleUI and just downloaded WinEQ which I had never heard of before.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I run the game in WinEQ which seems to resolve the majority of issues people have, I still had the crash on camp issue and needed to use the compatibility mode trick so maybe just adding WinEQ to your setup will get you to a place of being issue free.

I personally don't use any of the custom UIs, feels a bit like cheating when there are some that add bag slots that don't actually exist in game and things like that but there are commands to change the font size if you look up the list of commands on the P99 Wiki page.
if the UI has a bag/inventory slot that isn't era accurate, you can't use it.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:58 PM
Kobold

They may not be endorsed but they are being used en mas in P99 and the additional bag slots are just one example. All sorts of features that people are gaining from UIs that aren't part of the default UIs that come with the game.

These are common place amongst the top end raid guilds along with additional external programs that are not from classic/era appropriate like GINA and OBS.

I personally like to experience P99 as it came out of the box on classic live even if that puts me at a significant competitive dis-advantage to other players.

That's not even counting the new "skinny" install meta where people are eliminating default files that come with the install to impact things like zone loading time.

If it can be done it is being done. There's people out here who's entire last 25 years live or die by their recognition in this game
Old 02-22-2024, 06:36 PM
Sarnak

Warpath do you know of a way to increase the size of the UI a bit other than installing a custom one? I do prefer to keep things classic too, but I'm just having a hard time reading things unless I go down a resolution. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

/chatfontsize 1 - 5 will increase the chat font. Other texts, I don't know [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-27-2024, 11:39 AM
Kobold

Yeah the chatfontsize commands can be helpful but I did spend a lot of time playing with resolutions to get it really dialed in and after changing to a different monitor had to dial in the resolution again.

While the ideal resolution may feel relatively garbage compared to what you're used to using these are 25 year old graphics so nothing is crisp in the first place, you really don't lose any detail by degrading the resolution to where everything is readable.