Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-28-2024, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're a skeleton most of the time so not being Iksar makes it thrice as stupid. It's literally the only class/race combo I would say you will regret if you don't do it
not being a gnome war / cleric / mage / rogue would be pretty regrettable too
Old 03-28-2024, 11:30 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lots of streamers on youtube doing entire playthroughs. Not one iksar necro. I've seen human, de, and erudite though. Just saying. For being "the best" it's strange. Make whatever looks good to you. You will have to stare at it for a long time.
I know of a couple, and to be fair those were during Green server launch before Iksar.

Iksar isn't game breaking, it is however the "best" race for the class. As the regen to Lich line of spells really stands out 55+. Not shocking when you /who necro in game. You will get 100 Iksar, and 5 of the other races.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're a skeleton most of the time so not being Iksar makes it thrice as stupid. It's literally the only class/race combo I would say you will regret if you don't do it
I made my necro on blue a DE because I liked the aesthetic. Went for the full netted kelp/square helm fashion quest, too. After level 29 or whenever it was that the lich line adds the skeleton illusion, I was in skel form way more than I wasn't. Can confirm the regret of not going iksar now that my necro is mid-50s.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:33 PM
Fire Giant

the regen is nice, the xp penalty is not

min maxing in general is for losers, so play whatever the F you want
Old 04-15-2024, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the regen is nice, the xp penalty is not

min maxing in general is for losers, so play whatever the F you want
I've always been curious about how total time 1-60 shakes out between Iksar vs. non-Iksar, assuming you just soloed the same content the whole way.

Like obviously the Iksar regen makes a big difference 50-60 so I think it probably helps offset that 20% EXP penalty. But is the EXP penalty significant enough (especially 1-50 when the regen is impactful but not AS impactful) that 1-60 a non-Iksar would require less hours?

I wonder if someone years ago ever tested this.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've always been curious about how total time 1-60 shakes out between Iksar vs. non-Iksar, assuming you just soloed the same content the whole way.

Like obviously the Iksar regen makes a big difference 50-60 so I think it probably helps offset that 20% EXP penalty. But is the EXP penalty significant enough (especially 1-50 when the regen is impactful but not AS impactful) that 1-60 a non-Iksar would require less hours?

I wonder if someone years ago ever tested this.
You could math it out roughly speaking.

A level 59 Iksar gets 16 HP sitting and 10 HP standing per tick.

A level 59 Non-Iksar gets 6 HP sitting and 3 HP standing per tick.

The level 49 Lich spell decreases HP by 22, and increases mana by 20. Having Lich active for the full hour costs you 13200 HP.

Touch of Night (Lifetap) gives you 720 HP for 405 Mana.

A level 59 Iksar recovers 9600 HP per hour, assuming they never miss a sitting tick. This means you need to recover 3600 HP per hour via Touch of Night. You need to cast Touch of Night 5 times to make up for this damage, which is 5 x 405 = 2025 mana spent. You gain 12000 Mana per hour with Lich, and 1200 Mana per hour via Meditate (assuming you never miss a tick). This means an Iksar has a total of 22000 mana to spend per hour when subtracting the mana spent on Touch of Night.

A level 59 Non-Iksar recovers 3600 HP per hour, assuming they never miss a sitting tick. This means you need to recover 9600 HP per hour via Touch of Night. You need to cast Touch of Night 13 times to make up for this damage, which is 13 x 405 = 5265 mana spent. You gain 12000 Mana per hour with Lich, and 1200 Mana per hour via Meditate (assuming you never miss a tick). This means a Dark Elf has a total of 18700 mana to spend per hourwhen subtracting the mana spent on Touch of Night.

This means an Iksar is getting roughly 3300 more mana per hour than a Dark Elf. realistically speaking you will miss some sitting ticks, so we could say an Iksar has roughly 3000 more mana per hour than a Dark Elf.

The question becomes: Can you kill 20% more mobs with 3000 more mana? This assumes you are at a camp that could support killing 20% more mobs per hour of course. If you are semi-AFK killing a single mob, you aren't going to be getting more kills per hour, since a Dark Elf could just recover the necessary mana between respawns.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 04-15-2024 at 06:26 PM..
Old 04-15-2024, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
... 1200 Mana per hour via Meditate (assuming you never miss a tick).
I meant to say 12000 Mana.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

50-60 you should be leveling exclusively with charm, which means you're casting Deflux very often to finish off mobs, which means the Iksar Regen advantage is mostly wasted. Whatever minor advantage it provides at that point in no way offsets a 20% XP penalty in terms of leveling speed.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:36 AM
Planar Protector

I see many necromancers working skyshrine in their 50s (not charm pet), so I don’t wholeheartedly subscribe to the argument you ‘should’ only use charm.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-16-2024, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

you charm 50-60 for xp, no idea what they're doing in skyshrine but it aint getting good XP