Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True agaron, but really if you wanted to sell items quietly you really dont need more than one account to do that. I think Jilena put it best with "taking up more bandwidth and server resources." I guess my point was boxing two characters never "ruined" a server in eq live, which is what ive seen a few people say. In fact it kept eq alive because unlike here, when you boxed there you actually had to pay to use those resources. Using wow as a reference is kinda moot. People boxed full groups in eq classic and sold items from very early on long before wow. For most people in the community it was in fact pretty transparent. But rest assured as long as people are getting free service on this account i support 1 account per person 100%. I just didnt consider the limited resources before it makes a lot of sense, thanks jilena.
I'll agree they never ruined a server, they however have ruined economies, and the social aspects (which are everything in EQ) At what point do we say STOP rule wise? My son and I both have accounts here, we come from the same top level IP and have an exception, but people playing two, three, four accounts by themselves? If the server admins slack up there, whats next? Bots? 1? 2? MQ? its a snowball, period.

Also, its the rules that count, not the "spirit" of the rules here. I know some posters here that say they don't have a problem with boxing, there is nothing wrong with it, and we should cut people a break. Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, and those that get banned, absolutely deserve it, regardless of wether or not you feel its right or wrong.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Fire Giant

Another thing to consider is that live had a LOT more casual and/or less nerdy players back in the day. This server would have a LOT higher percentage of people boxing than a classic live server where it was a rarity. I know that if I personally could do this I would never group with any melee char I wanted to level, I'd just have level a druid to 50 to first and PL/Box them all to 50 without even once setting foot in a group.

Even discounting server resources and bandwidth you talking about raping the shit out of low-mid level content. 1 druid+whatever they are PLing can take chunks of MM for instance that usually would occupy 6-12 players. There are usually 3-4 people doing this on any given day currently across the whole server. How much open low-mid level content would there be if you had 50+ people doing that at any given time? *shrug*

I believe the devs had posted that boxing would be looked into if the server pop ever dropped so low that it became more of a necessity. Right now though unless you play in the wee wee hours it's not too bad finding groups at any level.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Sarnak

Maybe, and I do mean maybe, admins can observe the weekly trends, and allow bots from m-f from midnight to 8 am or even weekends. Basically downtimes since there are not a lot of people on to have groups but give late night people (3rd shifters) or Europeans a chance to do something?

I don't care either way I'm not up that late nor am I European. Just an idea man. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Aviak

Wow 37 pages lol well back on topic ...really looking forward to the server being back up [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(ninja quoted from New Punctuation Marks for Grammar Nerds)
Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see the problem with boxing two characters. It doesn't ruin anything, It's just another way to enjoy the game, and "classic" eq allowed it i bought a second account in early 2000. I understand the rules on this server and I'm not trying to get them changed (im actually having a blast on just one)
There are sooooooooooooooooooo many reasons why 2 boxing ruins the game that I don't even feel like listing them all for the 100th time.
Edit: Thought I would add this just real quick - A few people people 2 boxing would not ruin the server, no. But on live, not everybody 2 boxed either. This is an emu, and it is free. You allow 2 boxing and everybody and their mom will have cleric bots (or some other bot char just to make shit easier for themselves.)

Quote:
I just think its silly when people complain about something so transparent as playing 2 toons instead of one. I can understand when you are running MQ and botting an entire group, yeah thats a little silly, and really only serves farming, but there are a lot of times being able to log into just two accounts is very useful and actually quite fun. Whatever though just my 2 cents.
This is classic. You can pretty much do the same shit with only 2 characters that you could do with a 6 botted group. (aside from raid content)
Example. You are a warrior. You want a FBSS. There is no way in hell you would be able to solo that camp. If there was 2 boxing, you could just log in a cleric bot instead of finding people to come join and help you.
Some people would be nice enough to invite people anyways. But most would be selfish enough to just hold the camp for hours and hours because they want that FBSS drop all to themselves.

I know there are classes that can solo and do this too. But with 2 boxing, anybody at all could, instead of the few high lvl chanters and necros on the server that can.

Basically, some people have legitimate reasons for wanting to 2 box. However, too many people would take advantage of it to fill their own selfish desires.
Last edited by Bones; 04-14-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Sarnak

If two boxing were allowed then I can guarantee a large majority of the server would box. I assume only the hardcore/very interested players of classic EQ are on this server and this population of people know the benefits of boxing. As previously pointed out, a single person could two box and hold the camp to any non-raid spawn all to themselves. Further, what incentive do these people have to group? Given the option of controlling two characters or depending on some flaky cleric or shittily-equiped tank, people would choose to box. It's the most rational/optimal decision to maximize leveling-speed/farming speed/seeing content/etc.

I'm sure those who have a core group of friends, family members, etc playing would disagree because ultimately a single player can't play two characters at the same time as well as two players playing a single character each assuming similar levels of skill. However, not everybody has that luxury of close friends/family/dependable group-mates. In most cases, boxing comes the norm.

This destroys the social aspect of the game because boxing promotes a solo-experience.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Fire Giant

The big difference is you had to pay 2 accounts for 2-boxing at live servers; thats why the majority didnt 2-box.

On p99 the majority would probably 2-box because you dont have to pay any accounts. There much more reasons to not allow it on p99.

Funny how this discussion went from Server return to /ooc to exp bonus to 2-boxing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

About the 25% exp: yes only few voted but there was so much crying about the 50% so the GMs decided to do something everybody could live with; We now have exp bonus but not that big, i think should be ok for everyone, its a good compromise.
Last edited by Nedala; 04-14-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Aviak

Arguements both supporting and against kinda go both ways...

Ruining the economy is a dumb argument because very simply put- this game is over 10 years old and filled with veteran players who already know the tricks of the trade and know whats good and how to easily acquire it. They also know what expansions are coming in the future and exactly how to plan for exactly what they hold. You already see people posturing for epics, because they know the quests and if they dont, the most descriptive write-ups are available from multiple sources.

In addition to that the server has been up for a good amount of time already and there is still a decent amount of time before kunark will even be added. What that means is very simply, the supply for mains(and even twinks) will be heavy and the demand will be relatively low. This means more platinum and more bank spaces filled with stuff that wont sell. I already see it with the serverwide auction function(which i personally dont care for) Its the same few people trying to sell off the same few things pretty much. The economy is already kinda off balance, and most of what is sold is more than likely going to alts.

At this point there seem to be a fair amount of guilds capable of planar and dragon raids(a lot of it can be 1 and 2 grouped honestly) so really the ease of acquiring high end no-drop items, will also decrease the need for droppable dungeon loot for mains. Also I would venture to guess that there is a pretty decent amount of platinum in the game at this point. It's basically supply and demand. What good is platinum at this point to a high end player that has everything? I would guess the economy has already peaked. What are you going to spend your money on, multi-quests for epics in kunark? You shouldn't know those exist this is classic EQ! But you do, and you also know the ins and outs of most every early zone city outdoor and dungeon, where certain things drop, how often and even (sadly) where to go get things that are super crazy rare before they get nerfed or removed. And this is conducive to a stable economy as per "classic" standards? Give me a break. Plus a good player at certain classes can already hold and maintain certain highly lucrative camps solo, you dont need a box for that.

It's fun. For everyone its their own reasons. But don't put up stupid reasons like the "economy" when you know very well what the trends for the future are going to hold because you've already been through it before.

For the record im still supporting non boxing for the purpose of not wasting bandwidth/server resources/etc, and i love that i can always find a group. I just like playing devils advocate when someone puts up a poor arguement [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Skeleton

I'm not opposed to the bonus because 50% and 25% are negligible figures that will ultimately make very little difference.

With that in mind, my question is - why bother with the bonus at all?

I can't imagine it will bring additional players - in fact, I believe the server will be at record pop on Friday and Saturday already, bonus or not.

Maybe to make sure that everybody who logs on when the server returns stays with the community because they have a slightly higher level character than they would without the bonus? But then, what happens when it exp rate is back to normal?

I just can't quite grasp it.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigforest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I just can't quite grasp it.

Because the dev's love us and its their way of saying thank you for all of the donations and patience during this downtime.

+ it will help people pick up exp they lost due to not being able to play because of some kiddy hacker.
Closed Thread