Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Fire Giant

Default AOE in Skyfire

This post is a combination warning and complaint about how AOE groups in Skyfire can affect an unsuspecting player.

The other day I zoned into SF and ran to the mouth of BW zone area, recalling from Live that this was a good place to pull too, there being plenty of mobs and a few nameds that wander near by. I wasn't there more than a couple of minutes before I was instantaneously being whomped on by a plethora of Wurms, Chromodraks and Wyverns. Needless to day death was swift.

At first I thought, what the heck? Is this a train? I didn't even see it coming. It turns out that it was the result of an AOE group doing it's thing at the BW zone line. I had heard a couple of people say that SkyFire was "no good" because of AOE groups pulling almost the entire zone. At the time, I had mentally written this off as hyperbole.

Now, having had the experience (or the lack thereof, heh) described above, I can see their point. The BW zone line and the area leading to it is a prime experience area for SF. The decision to do massive AOE fighting at this particular point within the zone seems somehow dicey to me. It isn't so much the fact that so many mobs at once are being pulled from the general surroundings, as it is the inherent danger in this type of fighting to passers by and other unsuspecting players.

I could wish that AOE groups would not set up right there and also that they would warn the zone before each mega-pull. As it stands, I actually have trepidation about simply approaching this area of the zone. For this to be understood, perhaps you'd have to have experienced what the experience was like. One moment, it was blue sky and a sunny day - the next moment, without any sort of visual or textual warning was: "WOMP WOMP WOMP WOMP ... loading...".

To be fair, a cleric from the group (groups?) involved did give me a 96% rez, which was nice. On the other hand, that is a 4% experience loss and a helping of aggravation that I don't feel like I had coming.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Aviak

I think pretty much everyone knows this goes on. However 99% of the time there are plenty of mobs left to kill. I would recommend setting up at the OT zone. There is no other safe place in the zone to setup AoE so it wont change. Also I would recommend invising before zoning in as no mobs see invis.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Sarnak

Actually, many mobs in the zone have a chance to see invis.

Also, SF aoe is the best exp in the game for a wizard and cleric at the mid / high 50s, and unfortunately the BW zone is the only place to set it up.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaleban [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no other safe place in the zone to setup AoE so it wont change.
So what is wrong with setting up an AoE group at the OT zoneline? Since you just suggested someone else could level there. It seems safe to me.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, many mobs in the zone have a chance to see invis.

Also, SF aoe is the best exp in the game for a wizard and cleric at the mid / high 50s, and unfortunately the BW zone is the only place to set it up.
I have never encountered a mob in SF that sees invis, even the guardian wurms/ancient wyverns. Which mobs have a chance to see invis that you've noted?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Sarnak

I know that while pulling for aoe groups, I usually run song of travel, and every now and then I'll get hit by a chromo dispel or a melee. I'm assuming the highest level of drac / wurm / drake has a % chance to see invis. The invis breaks are almost certainly not caused by social aggro since I run way ahead of the train. I might swing by SF sometime to test this for sure, though.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Orc

QQ elsewhere dum dum
Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know that while pulling for aoe groups, I usually run song of travel, and every now and then I'll get hit by a chromo dispel or a melee. I'm assuming the highest level of drac / wurm / drake has a % chance to see invis. The invis breaks are almost certainly not caused by social aggro since I run way ahead of the train. I might swing by SF sometime to test this for sure, though.
I've never had an issue with anything seeing thru Superior Camo in there. However, you have spent considerably more time in SF than I have, so I defer to your experience.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

Seriously if the group can handle 80% of the zone and you where standing in there camp you deserve to die.

Go root rot somewhere else if there camping the zone.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

The BW zone line is the only flat area where you can reliably AE without forcing something under the world. It also has no roamers and gives the puller plenty of room to circle and do his thing.

I've never once been in an AE group that refused to rez and/or buff bystanders. I suspect with C2/haste and other buffs from the group you'd actually level more efficiently than if you had not crossed paths with them.

-Xasten
Closed Thread