Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default new group inc`

so i was contacted by a long time EQ buddy a couple of days ago about playing EQ again. I mentioned that i had an account here from about a year ago, but i didnt really get into it because i didnt have a friend to play with. And we all know EQ1 is all about grouping. So he went ahead and found some other people that will play about 1-2 nights a week.

so far this is our group comp.

Gn Cleric
WE bard
HE ranger
pally of some sort
and prob a wizard (no confirmation on this)

think this is a decent group makeup? i dont remember much about good group makeup, but i believe we have most of the buffs and the trinity accounted for outside of the enchanter.

I know we kind of want to be self sufficient since this is a private server, and while the largest one out there, still nowhere close to the old days of the servers we used to play on in regards to population counts.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Fire Giant

Thats a solid group. Not the best, but far from the worst.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Sarnak

Must haves are slow, haste, mana regen pretty much. Cleric can take care of HP buffs, bard can do mana regen/haste. Not a lot of DPS in that group for sure, wizard is pretty terrible sustained dps and don't think bards get slow until 50+. Id have the guy making a wiz make a shaman instead, or maybe a monk/rogue, but slow makes everything easier. Melee heavy is the way to go for set groups, ideally Cler/bard/sham or cler/bard/ench with the rest being melee dps and a tank of some sort (preferably a hybrid unless he plans on tanking raid bosses, then warr).
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

the pally was going to be our tank. a shaman would be nice. I was going to do shaman instead of cleric, but we want to go with all good races so we dont have issues with faction at the early levels. we all know how much fun it is to buy and sell at lvl 5 for a DE or troll, or orge at lvl 5-10, and of course there is the run from halas as a barb to meet up in FP with the others. i used to play a cleric so i dont mind doing that. I was leaning towards a shaman, but im not a fan of the big races either, and no froglocks to be a shaman with.

also, i remember in POP era, caster heavy groups were favored, was this because of clarity etc.? i just remember melee DPS heavy groups not being all that great for whatever reason. Or am i mistaken?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Sarnak

If those are the classes you like, those are what I'd say stick with. You can kill things just fine as you are, and add a shaman / ench / dps class that's lfg along the way.

As you found the first time this server is much more fun when you play with others - use that opening in your group to meet some new friends.
Test Server : Tanulie
Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaflyIRL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Must haves are slow, haste, mana regen pretty much. Cleric can take care of HP buffs, bard can do mana regen/haste. Not a lot of DPS in that group for sure, wizard is pretty terrible sustained dps and don't think bards get slow until 50+. Id have the guy making a wiz make a shaman instead, or maybe a monk/rogue, but slow makes everything easier. Melee heavy is the way to go for set groups, ideally Cler/bard/sham or cler/bard/ench with the rest being melee dps and a tank of some sort (preferably a hybrid unless he plans on tanking raid bosses, then warr).
Bards get slow at like level 15 (dont know the real level)

Bards don't get mana regen till 32.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElanoraBryght [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If those are the classes you like, those are what I'd say stick with. You can kill things just fine as you are, and add a shaman / ench / dps class that's lfg along the way.

As you found the first time this server is much more fun when you play with others - use that opening in your group to meet some new friends.
100%

Slow doesn't really become useful until mid 30s or so anyway
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

I started the server with: paladin, cleric, monk, enchanter.

Just slightly more important than this being a balanced group (good tank, best healer, decent dps/puller, slow/clarity), it's the classes we wanted to play.

as far as being a shaman goes, you can go barbarian and I'd log in my wizard bound in permafrost and port you to nro. but I'd greatly advise not abandoning cleric.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

lol i remember playing my cleric in Bot during PoP.

mount / AA that evened out group health / group heal spell

rinse repeat

people would die when i fell asleep so to not fall asleep i would melee and stun lol

and BTW, thanks for the input, im sure we will end up playing what we want to play, i.e. ill play a cleric, it is what i know and enjoy. Of course me falling asleep was back in the day when i would play for hours and hours. less kids and less jobs, lol.
Last edited by Farkle; 07-15-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just slightly more important than this being a balanced group (good tank, best healer, decent dps/puller, slow/clarity), it's the classes we wanted to play
Good advice. You have got to play the classes you "want" to play, or things won't be as fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, off-topic - Ektar, I was a jerk to you a few weeks back when I thought you were just being spammer to raise post count for no reason, but I've consistently noticed your posts are good quality. Sorry for my words before [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so i was contacted by a long time EQ buddy a couple of days ago about playing EQ again. I mentioned that i had an account here from about a year ago, but i didnt really get into it because i didnt have a friend to play with. And we all know EQ1 is all about grouping. So he went ahead and found some other people that will play about 1-2 nights a week.

so far this is our group comp.

Gn Cleric
WE bard
HE ranger
pally of some sort
and prob a wizard (no confirmation on this)

think this is a decent group makeup? i dont remember much about good group makeup, but i believe we have most of the buffs and the trinity accounted for outside of the enchanter.

I know we kind of want to be self sufficient since this is a private server, and while the largest one out there, still nowhere close to the old days of the servers we used to play on in regards to population counts.
As has been said, not bad, but not the best.

If there's wiggle room in the classes your friends want to play, a chanter is an excellent choice. My main is a 54 wizard, and I do not recommend them for groups aside from AoE groups (which are extremely niche and really only 53+). Not that they can't contribute, but they probably add the least to any group of all the classes.

There's a bit of overlap between Bard/Chanter, but the mana regen you get from both bard song and clarity is pretty substantial. Chanter melee haste buffs are also vastly superior than any of the bard songs.

And having more than 1 person able to CC effectively will prevent you from wiping.

Depending on the potential wizard friend's preferences, a shaman or chanter would be a very good choice. If I could tweak the ranger into going rogue or monk, I would [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ektar offered as well, but please let me know if I can provide free ports to get you and your group together and bound in the same places [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] PM me or send me a tell in game to arrange a time when you need the ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread