Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

Default Baking/Brewing and Int/Wisdom

I was trying Baking and brewing with my warrior while following a guide. I found that I needed a lot more of the items in the guide than suggested (almost double) to reach the trivial rank. It's a silly profession that I wanted to do on the side to make some minor buff foods. I'm not really too concerned with min/max. After a bit more reading I realized that wis and int is what governs how often a skill is raised. I have casters I could be doing this with. Is it really worth it to cook with a warrior or should I just have my alt take care of the food prep?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Kobold

neither skill is expensive compared to, say, tailoring, so i wouldn't worry about the cost. Whether they're worth the time is a valid question even on a 200 int/wis character. it is certainly easier to gather the requisite ingredients on a melee character, and there is a savings of time in not having to transfer to the 200 int guy... So i say go for it on your warrior. When you get to where you're in Gfay looking for brownies to make icing...boy you're gonna wish you had picked a tracker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1rh3ad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was trying Baking and brewing with my warrior while following a guide. I found that I needed a lot more of the items in the guide than suggested (almost double) to reach the trivial rank. It's a silly profession that I wanted to do on the side to make some minor buff foods. I'm not really too concerned with min/max. After a bit more reading I realized that wis and int is what governs how often a skill is raised. I have casters I could be doing this with. Is it really worth it to cook with a warrior or should I just have my alt take care of the food prep?
Two things affect your skill-up rate. First, the higher of your Wisdom or Intelligence ... except for certain tradeskills that use other stats (eg. for Blacksmithing its the higher of your Wis, Int, or Strength).

Second, your success rate affects your skill-up rate. Now I was a tradeskiller back on live in Velious and the overwhelming consensus back then was that your success rate had no impact on your skill-up rate. Here on P99 though it does matter, so if you've been doing combines with way higher trivials than your current skill, that might be your problem.

As for, "is it worth it?", the answer is no, no tradeskill is worth doing on P99, unless it's for one of the big Velious quests (Spirit of Garzicor, Coldain Ring, or Coldain Shawl). Even the ones that "make money", like Alchemy or Jewelrycraft, will require several orders of magnitude more plat to skill up than you will ever make from them, unless you quit leveling and role-play a jewelry merchant for a year.

That being said, tradeskills are one of those quirky "fun even if they're not power-gamy" aspects of EQ. If you enjoy doing them, have plat to spare, have even more time to spare, and don't mind giving yourself carpal tunnel or some other repetitive stress injury ... you should totally master baking (or any other skill that appeals to you), whether it's on your warrior or any other character.

And hey, even if a few extra points of stamina doesn't really matter, everyone loves frost giant steaks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-24-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Closed Thread