Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Default Surgery on wrist due to bard

PSA to players, specifically bards.

Basically, playing EQ and constantly moving the mouse caused the inflammation of a ganglion cyst in my wrist, so now I am going into surgery next Tuesday to remove the cyst. Not sure how this will affect my ability to play for a few weeks/months.

I think the biggest damage/cause was from kiting to level up my bard two years ago. Often, I would keep my wrist locked into a kiting motion by moving the mouse for 10-15 minutes at a time even when in pain or my wrist was sore. After the kite was dead, I would then squeeze my wrist to crack my cartilage to relax the pain. Not a great idea, but I don't kite at full speed anymore and would probably never level a bard this way again. That's what developed the cyst, but since then, playing and kiting at slower speeds fairly often over the past year has now made my wrist worse.

I'll let you know the surgery is and post a picture of my cast.

Don't neglect or punish your body for EQ!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah Culprit got carpal tunnels from playing bard, and I've spoken to other bards with the same issue.
Should probably go ahead and not play a bard in EQ.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah Culprit got carpal tunnels from playing bard, and I've spoken to other bards with the same issue.
Should probably go ahead and not play a bard in EQ.
Yeah, I'm thankful I didn't get carpal tunnel. My issue should be easily fixed with surgery. I had a cyst removed on my other wrist in 2011, and that one works great now.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Notably, the EQ Bard requires less button-mashing than characters in any number of newer role-playing games. As such, I expect as the general gaming population grows older these sorts of problems will increase in frequency.

I'm middle aged and if my arms or wrists get a little sore I stop playing. Not worth physical injury for a computer game. This is actually one of the reasons I'm on Project1999: most classes here have a fairly pedestrian rate of button input, so physical strain is lessened versus that of most other role-playing games. Excessive button spam and risk of long-term injury were the direct reasons I stopped playing both Warcraft and Vanguard in particular.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 01-06-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Planar Protector

The fact that surgery is necessary.. just sucks. That's how you fix CT too. GL with your operation.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice

Get one of these and learn how to use it. That was what a TMO bard recommended to me when I was trying to talk Culprit out of turning his bard into a naggy alt and maining a rogue.
Last edited by Cecily; 01-06-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Old 01-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Notably, the EQ Bard requires less button-mashing than characters in any number of newer role-playing games. As such, I expect as the general gaming population grows older these sorts of problems will increase in frequency.

Danth
For me, it wasn't actually pushing keys. It was the mouse moving motion while holding down the right click button without releasing for so long. I dunno why people say twisting causes carpal tunnel; that's just pressing a key every 3 seconds.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Twisting shouldn't cause carpal tunnel--the mouse is more likely to do that, as you say. However, excessive button spam can and does cause RSI-related injury instead. Both are issues any long-term player should be aware of.

Danth
Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

This is what I have used:

Old 01-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that surgery is necessary.. just sucks. That's how you fix CT too. GL with your operation.

Get one of these and learn how to use it. That was what a TMO bard recommended to me when I was trying to talk Culprit out of turning his bard into a naggy alt and maining a rogue.
What do you know about using a mouse? =P

Also, look how that turned out for Culprit...
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Sarnak

i feel your pain zander .. had shoulder surgery #6 this past friday .. still a bit painful to play

red cape, check.

logging in
Closed Thread