Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:35 PM
Orc

Default Necromancer Race Choice?

Hi all! I just recently rejoined the server and have been playing on my Bard, which is a fun toon I used to main on other emu servers, but sometimes I don't have the playtime to actively find and commit to a group (and I dont like the idea of swarming). (I'm also open to mage but haven't looked too much into it so feel free to argue that as well).

So i've decided to create a Necro on the side for solo play downtime. I've never played a cloth/pure caster before and the Necro sounds so much fun for both solo and grouping. Now i'm debating race.

Gnome sounds fun because Steamfont/Crush/Unrest are all accessible and being a good race I'd at least have access to alot of the main popular cities to bank/merch.

Dark Elf has always intrigued me and I feel like is the middle ground race, being evil but at least having access to Neriak on the main continent.

Now Iksar sounds like the best choice stat wise and honestly the one im leaning towards. From what I gather you can level self-contained on Kunark at least for 1-30 before moving on to grouping/soloing in old world. It looks like he has the best stats and regen too. My main question is how inconvenient is the huge faction hit to EVERY other city / is it easy to at least faction up some places or use some hiding techniques to merch/bank?

TL;DR: What are your opinions on the best race to play a necro for? Pros/Cons? I'm also open to rolling a mage so argue that over necro if you think it's the better class.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Large Bat

I have heard that iksar are an adequate choice to roll for monk and necromancer.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

Iksar hands down.

As a Necro you're already hated in most every area anyways. At level 20 you can click a Circlet of Shadows, instant invis, making traveling through cities extremely easy. You also have FD if you don't pay attention and break invis. You can bank with KoS bankers by scrolling into 3rd person and using walls to block line of sight while you right click on them.

Some vendors will start selling to you once you use skeleton illusion on this server also because it acts as a faction modifier.

Faction has never been an issue for my Iksar Necro. Almost every Necromancer guild that I'm aware of will talk and sell to your iksar Necro if you use Skeleton illusion (34 is first one).

The regen is huge, lets you lifetap less, stay at higher HP more and be more efficient overall. The main killer on Iksar is low INT. I have sort of okay gear on my Necro and I don't really break 200 INT. Now this usually isn't an issue since necros strength is mainly about regening back quickly. But there have definitely been some tougher fights like Halflings in PoM where I wish I had a deeper Mana pool. That being said, I would never ever trade my regen for that deeper mana pool.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:47 PM
Kobold

Iksar.

/thread
Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Sarnak

Iksar is master race for necro.

Mine was a gnome and I still had a good time.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar hands down.

Some vendors will start selling to you once you use skeleton illusion on this server also because it acts as a faction modifier.
I got really excited for lvl 34 for skeley illusion for this reason ... and no matter where i went it my faction never changed, so i just assumed they changed it and made it a non faction modifier. well unless you are a enchanter.

Pros for Ikky necro: REGEN hands down the best in game. if i didnt want to start over i would totally re-roll but i started playing before kunark was released here.

Cons for Ikky necro: Hated everywhere. but this is trivial once you get higher lvl and can invis. you will just have to make use of the greedy merchants.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

Gnome!!!! Looks like it is my job to defend the greatest race in Norrath!!!

1) ...gnomes are cute! You get +100 in style / awesome factor in groups as everyone awes at your gnomeness.

2) Gnomes have good faction a lot of places! Even if threateningly to some places (like wood elf village), getting up to dubious is SUPER easy. There aren't many places you are really that KOS to, and even banking in dark elf city is easy.

3) GNOME VISION!!!!! Being able to sit next to walls and see through them is pretty awesome for scouting areas. I actually use this a lot when soloing to check if a roamer is in the camp or not.

4) The gnome club! Gnomes help other gnomes!! There seems to be an unspoken bond between other gnome players. Ever get 2 gnomes in a group? People notice it! 2 humans they don't have a bond...but 2 gnomes? They look out for each other!

5) Tinkering!! You can make eye of zom tinker items! Summon an eye, use your lifetap on in :3 BOOM, instant mob to feed off of anywhere. You can make these for about 15pp, they have 5 charges, and weigh 0.1.....pretty good if you need to feed on something!!

6) Being small!!! You can get into the hole without a key! You can walk under things other people would have trouble with!! You can hide in an ogre!!!! Really, there are no limits to smallness!

7) Gnomes are awesome. Super awesome. The end.

8)

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Really though, once you're 60 and in Velious. You choose where you have vendors you can buy from.

Staying friendly in Thirgadin is really easy, especially on a Necro. Which has everything you will need.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

I am a vanilla EQ dark elf lover for life but this guy convinced me that iksar is the true necro master race

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

that said, DE still look way better... but after all, if you're going to wear that leather cap, who cares what race you pick.. that thing is terrible looking even on darkelves.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Fire Giant

If you play anything other than an iksar you have concerns that go beyond effectiveness of play. Regen + lich is hard to beat. Not to say you couldn't play another race, but at that point you are doing so because you like the skin or some other race is "super awesome" or whatever.

The regen beats all other concerns for a necro. It's too good.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Closed Thread