Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Skeleton

Default Rolling fresh as a necro, what race?

Back on live I never made it too far (maybe around level 30ish). I heard that Iksar is the best, however I don't want to be cheated out of going through this game which will pretty much be my first time and not be able to completely explore it as an Iksar, because I most likely will just be sticking to one character. I'm not much of an altoholic.

I'm currently considering Dark Elf, Human and Iksar. Any opinions / advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Sarnak

No love for the Gnomes?

Gnome/Erudite/Humans have solid stats, and are good/neutral races, so they can go pretty much where they please. Necromancers will be KOS/Hostile in some places just because of their religion.

Dark Elves are KOS in most cities. Iksar are KOS everywhere except their own city.

As an inexperienced player, I highly suggest Gnome/Erudite/Human, and dump most of your points into Intellect, and the remaining in Stamina!

Join the p99 discord channel, roll on red server, and when you get a few more levels you can play with my friends and I. We can guide you through the game and answer questions.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Planar Protector

Iksar is the only choice. You are kos everywhere until you get Call of Bones at 34. Its actually kind of fun running around cities invis and using only certain merchants and banking FD.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Sarnak

Iksar is -20% XP, which is rough for casuals, and he said he wants to be able to see the world. Iksar are probably the worst race in the game if you want to be able to see the cities and go where you please.

Granted, they are the best pure mix/max stat wise.

Gnomes start on Faydwer, which is where the Elven/Dwarven cities are, with good instances like Crushbone, Mistmoore, Unrest.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar is -20% XP, which is rough for casuals, and he said he wants to be able to see the world. Iksar are probably the worst race in the game if you want to be able to see the cities and go where you please.

Granted, they are the best pure mix/max stat wise.

Gnomes start on Faydwer, which is where the Elven/Dwarven cities are, with good instances like Crushbone, Mistmoore, Unrest.
This is something I'm afraid of.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Sarnak

Let me weigh in on this.

I am a 'new' everquest player in that I never played until Project 99 less than a year ago.

My first character was a Barbarian Shaman, but I ONLY made him because I was told not to roll my primary choice, Iksar Monk.

That Barbarian hasn't even hit 20 yet because I simply took the plunge and rolled the Iksar Monk. It was SO MUCH FUN. With Feign you can do a LOT of things, and don't forget Necromancer gets Feign. Also, you can get yourself a Pre nerf Circlet of Shadow which is an item that is considered a 'clickie' that INSTANTLY turns you invisible when you fire it. This lets you pull of some crazy stuff.

I say go ahead and roll the Iksar Necromancer. The regen is HUGE at max level and it's super fun being part of the master race.

Iksar for life. Never forget.

You ruined your lands soft-skins! You'll not ruin ours!

EDIT: Going to chime in with some other informative stuff that might be of concern. I, as a new player with no clue what I was doing, made it from Cabilis (iksar starting city) to East Commonlands TUnnel all by myself as a level 5 Iksar Monk. No Feign. No sneaking. Just a Sense Heading skill and a pack full of Spiderling Silk to sell. If you want some HUGELY entertaining videos with a ton of helpful information, check out Reptox's video series, Everquest Classic Adventures. I'll link them for you. Amazing vids and it's thanks to this video series that I even started playing. First video Now, the first couple of vids are OKAY. But after the first couple, they get really good. So watch at least 4 before deciding you don't like them. It also bears mention that halfway through the series he switches to a new Youtube channel for reasons I wont get into. I'll link the first video in the series that's on the new channel for your convenience. It's number 9 btw

As for things like banking, etc. Weight isn't as big a deal for you as it is for monks who get a weight penalty, but you'll want to keep most of your money in your bank. But remember. Everyone hates you. Cause you're a lizard. But that's okay! We're wily. Simply go to somewhere like East Commonlands Tunnel (the major tradehub of the game) and ask if someone can Sow you. Someone will. It's a run speed enchant. Then you ask if there's anyone able to invis you for a bank run. Someone usually will. Then you just run into Freeport, zone into East Freeport and into the bank. Don't go all the way in, but stay on the left side of the wall. Then zoon out and look around the wall till you can see the banker. THen click on him. BOOM. Because he doesn't see you, he thinks you're just some random soft-skin. Bank away. Then just wait for someone who can invis you. This doesn't usually take long, with the proximity to ECT. It's very common for Iksar's to ask foir invis in there. You could even throw osmeone a couple plat if you're nice.

So those were the big issues for me when I started. Banking, getting around, etc. Don't worry. You'll get Feign Death which lets you basically avoid everything. And invis! Woohoo!
Last edited by Sillyturtle; 07-03-2016 at 06:14 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Fire Giant

Iksar.

Stay in Lunark till 60, fuck the rest of the world.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar.

Stay in Lunark till 60, fuck the rest of the world.
Iksar wanna vote Kexit. Have Kunark leave Norrath and send all those soft skins home!!
Old 07-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Fire Giant

gnome
Old 07-03-2016, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

I just rerolled my 17 gnome necro... because he wasn't an iksar
Closed Thread