Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb The Corona Perspective Some of You Seem to lack

Some points:
  • A lot of people die every single week in America (50,000-60,000) from all causes. That's sobering.
  • Corona looks like the +8k/week seasonal change in weekly deaths maybe 2x that at the worst week or two.
  • We're getting back to normal 50-60k levels.
  • Hindsight will show Corona was bad, and bad things happen, but the hyper-ventilating and over-the-top rhetoric was for (1) ratings and (2) politics.

Now who wants to guess how many more deaths and negative health effects due to the lockdown (drugs, alcohol, abuse, suicide, etc.)? There are studies that show a correlation between GDP and suicide. What about quality of life? What about education? "BUT MUH POLITICAL NARRATIVE AND WE AREN'T AT 0 DEATHS YET!!!" Cool story bro - we never reach 0 - that's life, or should I say, death. Keep your narrative.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

People still get swine flu (H1N1) - it's seasonal (like flu) and is a part of the flu shot. Do we freak out every year about H1N1?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (98.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

It’s like this dude is using the same talking points from a couple of months ago and just can’t cope with the fact that it didn’t work the first time.

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Last edited by Mead; 10-03-2020 at 09:49 PM..
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sorry I wasn't inclusive in my communication style. Instead of just charts and numbers I should have included emotional appeals wrapped in political language that reaffirms your politics/worldview to reach you. I'll try better next time.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Sarnak

US has ~4% of the world's population and ~20% of its COVID deaths

hth will your 'perspective'
Old 10-03-2020, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
US has ~4% of the world's population and ~20% of its COVID deaths

thats because americans still report them, many countries just strait up stopped
Old 10-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Planar Protector

Let me fix that for statement for you - then we can use our brains and gather more info to understand your statement in context.

US has ~4% of the world's population and ~20% of its reported* COVID deaths

Four points on this:
  1. China has been been cruising at ~80,000 reported deaths for months. The virus originated here. They have lower hygiene and sanitation standards, and their cities have higher population density. Also the government heavily controls information. I know, I lived in China 10+ years. There is no way on God's green earth the numbers they have put out are accurate - which would be par for the course for Chinese gov't stats. I would wager, other countries with big populations are also under reporting (Russia, India, etc.) The US is actually quite transparent on stats. Go us!
  2. The US has a LOT of contact with China - lots of travel both ways. The US being this affected by the virus so much has more to do with mid/end 2019 travel to/from China than it does our reaction to it. It was already here. We just needed to not screw our elderly in nursing homes ala NY/MI
  3. US is over reporting. Part fear, part political - those are related. Dying while having COVID ≠ dying because of COVID.
  4. We got a mixed bag of results of countries locking down versus not locking down. Mask mandates versus no mandates.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It’s like this dude is using the same talking points from a couple of months ago and just can’t cope with the fact that it didn’t work the first time.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
US has ~4% of the world's population and ~20% of its reported COVID deaths

So I fixed that for you but it's ok, I don't think it's going to change your ratio too much.

Of course we're going to suffer more pandemic deaths. It's America, no? I mean this is the land of the free? Who invented the rebel biker guy? Who invented the hippies? Do you cheer for the Empire or the Rebel Alliance? Do you think Happy Days was popular because of Richie Cunningham?

Do you think we follow the fucking rules? When was the last time you drove the speed limit?

Of course we're going to have greater casualties for any event that requires regimented social cohesion. It's built into the system, you can't blame any administration or people for that. We have a federal system, all the governors did their own shit because they could, and half the people said sure and the other half said fuck you, just like expected. Because this is what Americans do.

If you want to live in a society that is more resistant to pandemics you have to change the fabric and the nature of this country's culture. But for every change there are consequences. Disasters have many forms. Right now the US is the major nation best suited to coming back from nuclear holocaust, partly because we're decentralized, federalized, and we have tons of "cells" of inherent authority that can exist without a top-down structure, and also we have a nation of hardy fuck-you survivors. You change that into some tightly regimented nation of cowed retards looking to do what they've been told and you're looking at some unintended consequences down the line.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I fixed that for you but it's ok, I don't think it's going to change your ratio too much.

Of course we're going to suffer more pandemic deaths. It's America, no? I mean this is the land of the free? Who invented the rebel biker guy? Who invented the hippies? Do you cheer for the Empire or the Rebel Alliance? Do you think Happy Days was popular because of Richie Cunningham?

Do you think we follow the fucking rules? When was the last time you drove the speed limit?

Of course we're going to have greater casualties for any event that requires regimented social cohesion. It's built into the system, you can't blame any administration or people for that. We have a federal system, all the governors did their own shit because they could, and half the people said sure and the other half said fuck you, just like expected. Because this is what Americans do.

If you want to live in a society that is more resistant to pandemics you have to change the fabric and the nature of this country's culture. But for every change there are consequences. Disasters have many forms. Right now the US is the major nation best suited to coming back from nuclear holocaust, partly because we're decentralized, federalized, and we have tons of "cells" of inherent authority that can exist without a top-down structure, and also we have a nation of hardy fuck-you survivors. You change that into some tightly regimented nation of cowed retards looking to do what they've been told and you're looking at some unintended consequences down the line.
It's the PJ O'Rourke argument. It works until the point you realize that freedom should not equal freedumb.

Public officials should still feel obligated to advise the Fonz not to take the Hooper triplets to inspiration point during COVID. They should not be insisting that it's fake news.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:51 PM
Fire Giant

The perspective OP seems to lack:

You're arguing against how you think a few theoretical people feel about COVID.

Wear a mask. Social distance. It's not a big ask, Trumptard.

If doing those things would make a dent in cancer rates or auto accidents, I'd do it to help save a few people from those too.

People smarter than both of us (especially you) suggest basic precautions. That's how the majority of people are addressing this pandemic.

The rest of it is you projecting.
Closed Thread