Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Kobold

Default Rogue leveling/skills question

My rogue is 41 and is skill capped for all the combat skills. It seems like aside from gaining some HPs for every level, there isn't much benefit to leveling at this point until I reach 50 when I can start to increase my skills again. Also since backstab damage is a function of combat skills (Offense, Backstab) , weapon damage, and STR, I will soon reach a hard limit to the amount of backstab (and damage in general,) until 50. If the above is true, it seems quite unbalanced considering casters get new spells as they level while rogues get nada until 50. Am I missing something or is that just the hard reality of being a rogue?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

Levels by themselves will make you stronger but you're right OP, casters are stronger and better in classic EQ than melee classes. Working as intended.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Ideally a game is balanced at the end. Most games fall apart mid-way through the progression...because maintaining balance during development is difficult.

I don't see how relevant mid 40's vs mid 40's is when the levels stop at 60. Unless this is P99 green pre-Kunark and the general consensus will undoubtedly be "yea rogues aren't very good right now."

For reference. During classic era most top-tier raid guilds' rogues had Crystalline Spears (13/30). I looted a Trident of the Seven Seas off Phinny in like 1999 and almost caked my shorts.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

Yo! Melee are generally more gear-dependent than casters as they progress from level to level. This notion goes "both ways," in my opinion:

Namely, my necro (caster) is at a point where he'll only get so much stronger due to *gear* (a few more INT or HP will not functionally change much). Potentially getting a clicky "fear staff" would add some function for him, but not much else. Clickies are the main gear like this for casters, IMO.

Conversely, my lvl 45 monk felt a huge power surge when he finally upgraded from his Wu's Quivering Staff to a Peacebringer (these are 2hb weapons) along with some much-needed +HP gear.

This added DPS and HP-- due to gear, not levels-- made a huge difference compared to dinging lvl 43 or 44. I was fighting the exact-same mobs from lvl 42-45.

My long point here is that as you gain levels, you'll be able to kill stuff for better plat and loot. Gearing up your rogue with better itemization over these 9 levels is the quasi-equivalent to casters getting a couple spell sets but probably not improving much *due to their gear*.

You'll never hear someone say that they leveled up their rogue naked, but you'll often hear people report leveling up a druid or an enchanter with garbage or empty gear slots.

Hoping you stay inspired to keep leveling your rogue!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

The game is not balanced around all classes being able to solo and melee are very basic in this game. If you want to solo, you picked the wrong class. If you want to be loved in every group or raid you join, you picked the right class. It is what it is.
Last edited by jolanar; 07-23-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The game is not balanced around all classes being able to solo. If you want to solo, you picked the wrong class. If you want to be loved in every group or raid you join, you picked the right class. It is what it is.
This. Just keep going. When you get your epic and double backstab you'll be the one carrying group damage.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Kobold

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something I should be doing at this level to increase my effectiveness in a group, namely my damage output. My STR is capped at 255 with a STR buff and I'm using the best weapons I can, aside from raid items and/or stupidly expensive items. Sounds like I just need to carry on and keep stabbing! Thanks for the replies.
Last edited by deven1313; 07-23-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, rogue dmg jumps quick then kinda just holds steady for a while. Backstab in particular. With a 12 dmg piercer, I broke 300 dmg backstab around level 30 and didn't get any higher until 50+ using the same weapon. Even so, you have nothing to worry about regarding damage. You will be doing enough in groups if you have a 10+ dmg piercer MH and SCHW or better for haste.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM
Planar Protector

You’re in a big grind right now. Use the skill up leveling gap to cap your slash and blunt skills. Also, get your defense and other defensive skills capped now to save yourself headaches later.

51 is a pretty steep power boost for you.. new minimum backstab multiplier.

51-60 you also get faster in sneak every level. At 60 you’re almost full run speed.

51/55/60 new minimum multipliers... think it’s 25/50/100% of level + level. 10-50 minimum = level.

55 is an insane power boost with double bs... yeah casters don’t have anything on rogues.
Last edited by Cecily; 07-24-2019 at 01:54 AM..
Old 07-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

51 is a pretty steep power boost for you.. new minimum backstab multiplier.....
Is it 51? I thought the wiki said 53.

*Edit* I see what you mean about the multiplier at 51. I was mistaking that for the vague comment on the Rogue page that says, " Level 53 - Minimum Backstab Damage". Anyone know what that means?
Last edited by deven1313; 07-24-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Closed Thread