Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the real problem is the wiki
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Server GM

I'm personally not a fan of how the list mechanic works. I've seen a bunch of abuse and neckbearding taken to the extreme. I would have personally had the item /random out to those that are on the list with perhaps increased odds for #1-#3 or something. Not a dev though.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Y'all have been stockholm-syndromed by this place.

Sure classic EverQuest favored those with more free time. 100% true. But classic Everquest never had the massive mandatory time sinks that P99 has. No one sat waiting in a list for days for an item on live (as I've mentioned, GMs didn't even stay online for more than eight hours). No one stared at a raid boss's spawn point for days, or waited at a zone for days to race for an FTE.

All that is purely Rogean's unclassic way of dealing with different player knowledge vs. live. It's not classic EQ, so stop pretending it is: OP would at least have had a chance in classic EQ.

What? Did you play each server simultaneously to come to this opinion?

Plenty of people camped things for a very long time...

For my VS kill to finish wiz epic I sat in KC a full day anticipating him to spawn...wasnt an FTE race like p99 but I mean people camped shit hardcore on live too.
Last edited by Erati; 04-07-2020 at 11:13 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

maybe the epic super duper fabulous nerd fashion items need special requirements like being level 50 and beating a built in EQ trivia game to enter the list and then it gets randomed to list as well. that way its not just everyone on the server at the list camps.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love the high population, it's like a nice fresh cup of coffee. You're instantly alert trying to get that rep and upgrade your camp while defending your present one at the same time.

Little elfs be swarming around with their little books yelling about rule 3 paragraph 1 must maintain line of sight to claimed camp meanwhile I'm gathering a nice "jury" to bring to the camp for the final verdict.

You can just straight out buy a manastone and JBoots are available forever, I mean eventually a merchant sells them, so is this entire thing about the Guise? Cause I go by the ass/sup room and there's frequently like 4-5 people on it.

I don't know, set your alarm clock OP?
The list has been 12 -20 since April 1st.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm personally not a fan of how the list mechanic works. I've seen a bunch of abuse and neckbearding taken to the extreme. I would have personally had the item /random out to those that are on the list with perhaps increased odds for #1-#3 or something. Not a dev though.

Yes, that's almost exactly what I'm saying!

The only difference is the part about "should people that have waited longer get a better chance?", which is just a tiny tiny detail compared to the overall idea of making it so anyone who shows up has a chance.

Part of me is against the "better odds the longer you've been on the list" (or for #1-#3, or whatever), because nothing else works that way in EQ: when you kill a PH, there's no greater chance of getting a named, even if you've been killing that PH for three days straight.

But, at the same time, you want "the good stuff" to go to people who "work harder" for it (but again, without creating a "threshold"). Giving people who've waited longer a better chance, while maybe not super-EQ-y, does fit that.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

The only person who pissed me off was this SK when i was in a guise group and the group suffered due to afkers and he was FD and nonresponsive for over 24 hours, and when his guise dropped, he stood up, looted and logged out. People died and the groups barely held as half the list was mildly afk and some took deaths due to afk but this dude assisted 0 the whole way
Old 04-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What? Did you play each server simultaneously to come to this opinion?

Plenty of people camped things for a very long time...

For my VS kill to finish wiz epic I sat in KC a full day anticipating him to spawn...wasnt an FTE race like p99 but I mean people camped shit hardcore on live too.
Sure they did ... but back then, if someone else had showed up and waited for VS also, what would have happened? Well, practically speaking, I think the answer is "whichever of you got a raid force there first won".

But in the (very unlikely, on live at least) event that two people, both with full raid forces, were ready to engage at the exact same time, someone would have petitioned, and it would have come down to a GM decision. Because GMs were unpredictable, that in and of itself amounted to "a roll" ... even if the GM didn't literally do /random to decide who got VS (which they likely would have ... again, in this scenario that was extremely unlikely on live).

The two core points are "A) live didn't have as much competition, so it's apples and oranges" (and this is what makes this hard for the P99 devs), but .... "B) even so, there were no 'thresholds' in classic EQ: you didn't get VS by not sleeping for a week, you got him by being first (if no one else was there) and/or (if someone else was) random luck ... and the same applied to all mobs".

Last edited by loramin; 04-07-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

I don't understand why a system which accommodates neckbeards was implemented on a server that has a previously unseen concentration of neckbeards.

Guessing to troll the general population, don't see any other reason.

People should get kicked off the list after 4 hours to promote a healthy lifestyle and some kind of fairness.

Guess that is too simple. If you going to implement an unclassic system, why not dick over the employed people?
Old 04-07-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How would you do it differently since you are on a server 20 years later with EQ vets?
I think I already answered this pretty solidly: remove thresholds, use artificial GMs instead.

Instead of /list creating a "threshold requirement" (no sleep for days), it would work exactly like showing up for a player-agreement-roll (for Scout, Shady Goblin, etc.). You indicate you want to be a part of the roll with /list, and then you wait for the mob to pop: when it does you get a "roll" to get that mob.

Furthermore, I'd argue that this sort of mechanism should be used on every "competed for" mob, not just legacy item mobs. Why shouldn't (say) Hadden work the same way?

Players who play P99 16 hours a day have the exact same chance of winning any individual roll as the players who play P99 16 minutes a day ... but the person showing up for 16 hours of rolls in a row is of course far more likely to get the item.

Closed Thread