Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Sarnak

There are other strange things with skill ups that seem to defy any sort of RNG.

Like the fact that some skills you need to have one point in before you can really start seeing gains (referring of course to non-trained skills, like Sense Heading, Bind Wound, Swimming).

I’m also going to assume Devs were aware of the streakiness of RNG, considering on Live they implemented the following change in a patch:

“ - Dramatically increased the chance to gain skills when your current skill level is less than your class' skill cap from 5 or 10 levels less than your current level.”

I’ve played on Live after this patch, and it is a huge difference. If I was gaining skill ups under that level cap on say spell skills, the rate was just about 100%. This patch isn’t definitive, but I think someone recognized the fact of how absurdly slow some of the skill ups were in the game and tried to reconcile that.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are other strange things with skill ups that seem to defy any sort of RNG.

Like the fact that some skills you need to have one point in before you can really start seeing gains (referring of course to non-trained skills, like Sense Heading, Bind Wound, Swimming).
I'm pretty sure swimming can start from 0, but its % chance to skillup seems absurdly low compared to live (faulty memory?) or blue (less faulty).

I think Tecmos mentioned this some time ago.

I raised Bind Wound from 0 to 1 on my mage last night, as well.
Last edited by Frug; 02-05-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 02-05-2020, 01:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If skill up rng isn’t so random and we accept this(and I agree) what does this mean for loot drops?

We've seen multiple times where phin drops 3 kedge robes or 2 mag wands
Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Perhaps RnG is tied to time in some way. Be interested if anyone has a massive log of kills and drops for the same mob spanning all times of day and if those drops Correlate through ToD or Time of Engage or Time of spawn in real life or game time.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:49 AM
Kobold

excatly my thoughts walllicker it's gotta be tied to time in some way
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 AM
Kobold

Add a few more hundred casts of Locate Corpse, still at 234 Divination.

Meanwhile, I maxed Conjuration to 235 just from some Disease Clouds in my last grouping session.

Could my Divination cap be bugged at lvl46 somehow? Such a strange phenomenon.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

Talking about randomness is weird and confusing, because we actually don't know what it is. If we did know, then it wouldn't be random. We know what it ought to look like from a statistical sense, so we can say that something doesn't SEEM random, but that can change over the length of sequence you are looking at. A sequence of 1 is not random at all. A sequence of 10 really can't be said to be random. Sequences of hundreds is where you start to get statistical grasp, but all you can ever say is that it 'seems' random. Then, when you start talking about repeating subpatterns that seem nonrandom, such as the skillups pattern, the math gets deep.
So that's some philosophical B.S., but anyway the pattern I have seen in skillups and other things over the 20 years that I have been playing have got to not be random. I feel it in my bones there's something else going on in the machinery besides a D100 roll. Especially in skillups, it really feels to me like there's some kind of state being saved and used or weighting based on how many times you have tried since your last skillup...and the math is not smooth (hi there, hell levels) so you get a cluster of skillups at the end of the sequence instead of a smooth distribution.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillabunny [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've seen multiple times where phin drops 3 kedge robes or 2 mag wands
I’ve seen some wacky ass shit with consecutive drops that always made me believe there’s more to the formulas than people think.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve seen some wacky ass shit with consecutive drops that always made me believe there’s more to the formulas than people think.
Agreed
Old 02-07-2020, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
this
Closed Thread