Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default Eve Online

Serious Question: Is Eve Online a game worth checking out this late in its timeline?

Also would someone who enjoys P1999 get value out of Eve Online or are the two MMO game styles too different?

Asking for a friend.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

I was asking the same question like 8 years ago now.

If it still has pop versus what it had in like 2016 I'd say, yes.

IT seems like a game for psychos so it might be great for some EQ people.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Banned

it's probably still going really strong

the only reason i couldn't play it last year was because my brain can't parse it anymore, i had some really great times in it in like 2013 tho

it is still the #1 pvp mmo i bet tho with really pretty space visuals

the big draw for eve is pvp and watching IRL ppl lose thousands of dollars of investment and time

you certainly dont need any money or risk any to really enjoy it tho and it's totally possible to have fun as a minion of one of the big players
Last edited by starkind; 09-16-2021 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

I don't play it because I don't want to use my interpersonal skills to manipulate people for my own gains. I think it is a core function of that game due to it being fake life with no consequences for scum betrayal and the wreckage you cause to people as a result so I don't really want to "play" that because that kind of stuff takes something out of me.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't play it because I don't want to use my interpersonal skills to manipulate people for my own gains. I think it is a core function of that game due to it being fake life with no consequences for scum betrayal and the wreckage you cause to people as a result so I don't really want to "play" that because that kind of stuff takes something out of me.
Bitter.

90% don't play this way. Always a 10%.

Eve is great but don't waste your time if you aren't a math nerd or programmer type.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bitter.

90% don't play this way. Always a 10%.

Eve is great but don't waste your time if you aren't a math nerd or programmer type.
Yeah, there's a reason why Eve's nickname is "the spreadsheet simulator" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Sarnak

Played it heavily circa 2010.

To me its the "world cup" of mmorpg's. Many different groups from countries all over the world. I remember we were battling against some Swede's for our little section of null sec space. (Null sec space is really where all the action and fun is). Our corp was trying to carve out a home, built a space station, defended our territory, from solo high-end players who try to lay traps for people. Many layers and ways to play the game - from support/ewar to drone boats etc.

I was part of a small corp which was part of a larger alliance which is part of an even larger alliance which boils up to basically two mega-alliances (Northern Coalition/Southern Coalition) dueling it out in insanely large space battles (large enough to crash zones). 500+ people. Massive strategy carried out by celebrity "FC's" - fleet commanders who are giving instructions to hundreds of players on discord and coordinating moves based on input from scouts and even spies embedded in the opposing alliance. Giant titan motherships (veteran players) which take months and months to build, fighting alongside hundreds of other player ships, including yourself.

By far the most complex and massive scale game I've played, but requires a lot to stay engaged, and I just lost interest. I liked the focus on teamwork and being able to have a role no matter how new or old you are to the game. Full player-driven economy, heavy focus on tradeskills and harvesting/manufacturing. Many different branches to specialize in (mining, pirate hunting, exploration, etc) with a role for each and a way to make income for each.

Not sure what the state of the game is currently, but if you like games with steep learning curves and complexity, its worth giving it a shot.
Last edited by walfreyydo; 09-16-2021 at 02:19 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Orc

I've given it a try a couple times and really enjoyed it, but the friends I played with always seem to quit after a month or two of getting back into it and then I lose interest playing alone. I end up just keeping the accounts going for a while and training skills I'll probably never use. Probably a great game if you have a core of solid people to play with. It still felt very 'alive' the last time I played.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Man I love hearing about this game. Shawk I'm not bitter I'm just protecting myself from myself bud.

IMO eve still looks like one of the best games of its type ever made.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by walfreyydo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I was part of a small corp which was part of a larger alliance which is part of an even larger alliance which boils up to basically two mega-alliances (Northern Coalition/Southern Coalition) dueling it out in insanely large space battles (large enough to crash zones). 500+ people.
Man I just started imagining what it would take to create a third mega coalition with people willing to defect from both northern and southern coalitions, while leaving people inside both of them to make sure that the northern and southern still fight each other instead of instantly turning to squash the newly formed third coalition.

I'm glad the game is still going strong
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread