Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Kobold

(this is my opinion and it probably isn't even right)
Builders like to build cheap, and don't care where if people are willing to buy. They don't care if it's a flood plain and if they can get the land for a decent price, they will build/develop on it. Buyers like to buy cheap. Guess where the cheap houses / land is? That's right, potential flood plains.

Sure there are instances of poor engineering such as the New Orleans Levis but more often then not, people just like to live where it's convenient or pretty and not do any research to the hazards of the area.

People take mother nature for granted and don't take the time to do research to see if it's safe or not. (i.e. people also build near fault lines, volcanoes, areas where tornadoes and hurricanes often strike). Now i'm just rambling but i think i made my point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
I have lots of neat tricks...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Planar Protector

That's why I am going to school for Architecture /flex
Old 05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maultar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You would think Seattle would be the new kedge Keep by now but they seem to manage.
HEY! It doesn't rain THAT much here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2Phantom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HEY! It doesn't rain THAT much here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Victoria thanks you guys for the rain shadow!

Vancouver not so much.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Aviak

At least the experience from how it rains here...

The city is 200+ years old. So it's not a matter of poor engineering, it's a matter of dealing with architecture in a time where they couldn't plan the way we do today.

To live near a water sources was an easy way for a city be easily sustainable without a lot of agriculture control. We see cities like New Orleans flood, and people freak out. Then you look and realize half the population has decided over the last few generations to live below sea level.

Mother Nature's generous most of the time, but living so close can be like playing with fire.
Closed Thread