Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone saw an EQ Next YouTube vid in the last year, they'd understand some of these layoffs... seems like the whole team spends their days drinking coffee and eating donuts rather than actually getting on with producing anything.

np tho, lets spend another session looking at what "not classic" structures, party zones and other Secondlife shit people have made over the last couple of weeks.

RIP EQ Next, it may not be dead yet but its on life support.
I mean I'm all for bashing this game, it don't seem to be something I would enjoy playing. But later on in the video they said all the sci-fi silly crap in Landmark would not be allowed into EQ Next. So your "not classic" structures etc comment may not be valid mate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oUWuVpwCY#t=2237
Old 02-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradojeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know its still really early and they are just trying to show their progress so far but I don't think they should be showcasing the melee/combat, and some of the NPC models in the fights, this early in the game. The combat at around 4:00 looks very clunky and the NPC models in the combat at around 7:00 look silly. Again, I know they are just showcasing the coding and progress so I hope it doesn't end up that way.

The landscapes, dungeons, light sources, shadows and view plane distance looks amazing though. I'm excited to see how far they will push the unity engine.
I don't think they have an animator on the team. It seems like they've a talented environment artist or two, who are doubling as character artists, which they do not quite excel at, and tripling at animators, which they excel even less at ^^

The progress is amazing though for such a small team.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean I'm all for bashing this game, it don't seem to be something I would enjoy playing. But later on in the video they said all the sci-fi silly crap in Landmark would not be allowed into EQ Next. So your "not classic" structures etc comment may not be valid mate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5oUWuVpwCY#t=2237
The point im getting at sivax is landmark has lost direction/focus completely... if they want good quality buildings/ideas for EQ Next, that's not doing it.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 PM
Aviak

Regardless of what happens with EQ Next, the question is now what about licensing Everquest products? I can easily see licensing private servers like this as a revenue stream. The licenses could allow for altering content or anything using the code or even modifying that. Admins of these licensed servers could then charge for their services if they wanted to.

Now before you go off on that, take it to the EQOA community. They've wanted the ability to do that for a long time. Now move to Vanguard. It could be done there too. Same for EQ2. Sorry for the Stars Wars folks, but that cannot happen due to issues with Disney.

I doubt this would be a serious revenue stream, but it would be money going against losses. Let's look at why Columbus bought SOE. They had to have a reason to pour money into the purchase. What do they expect in return? Are they banking on EQN or the zombie game? What if they fail? Do they then sell off the pieces? This is going to have an effect on the emulator community at some point down the road. It could be very, very positive.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

The average online gamer isnt necessarily a "nerd" anymore - tons of people play CoD and games designed to get people angry rather than to chill out.

Based on that, H1Z1 has a wider appeal than EQ Next ever will. If they picked one and went running with it I think the zombie game would win every time, especially if they keep it F2P.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 AM
Aviak

They dropped Storybricks so that won't be coming in landmark/eqn. And with Dave Georgeson and other people that got laid off, I don't see any of this in a positive light. I was really hoping EQ would rise to the top again one day, but it isn't looking good.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Kobold

Game mechanics and other contributions always get changed before even beta, to me it's just them using a normal process, I think the game is doing fine, why all the negative thoughts, is there any history of daybreak buying game companies and shutting them down?It's not like this was a competitive game type for them.

If blizzard bought them I would say sure they are closing it down, but why would they be bought by someone (oor sold) if they were going to shut it down...

Where does all this negativity come from?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think they have an animator on the team.
I wonder if they want one. On a volunteer basis anyway. I did study animation in school.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlyfury [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Game mechanics and other contributions always get changed before even beta, to me it's just them using a normal process, I think the game is doing fine, why all the negative thoughts, is there any history of daybreak buying game companies and shutting them down?It's not like this was a competitive game type for them.

If blizzard bought them I would say sure they are closing it down, but why would they be bought by someone (oor sold) if they were going to shut it down...

Where does all this negativity come from?
Thats the problem isn't it, we don't know anything about this new company—how do we know they aren't already poised on slowing down the development of eqn/landmark until it hits a crawl and it costs them pennies to sustain while they pull in the hype money and finally let it die a slow death on its own?

Meanwhile I'm sure H1z1 will be fine because people are crazy about zombie survival games, they'll likely put forth plenty of continuous development on it.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkona [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats the problem isn't it, we don't know anything about this new company—how do we know they aren't already poised on slowing down the development of eqn/landmark until it hits a crawl and it costs them pennies to sustain while they pull in the hype money and finally let it die a slow death on its own?

Meanwhile I'm sure H1z1 will be fine because people are crazy about zombie survival games, they'll likely put forth plenty of continuous development on it.
because it's not in their best interest, a successful company like this running a potentially massive game into the ground? They didn't get to where they are by doing that... this is shear stupidity
Closed Thread