Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Aviak

Question Columbus Nova And Daybreak Games

With the changing of the guard, SOE being sold off by Sony to an investment firm, Columbus Nova, and being subsequently renamed to Daybreak Games, I have a question about project 1999.

Will it still be allowed to exist? Will the new management, Columbus Nova, perceive P99 as a threat and request that it is shut down? Could they do so if they wished?

I am not trying to be melodramatic here. Nor do I pretend to completely understand the relationship between P99's founders/operators and the former SOE.

I am just asking a question from a concerned player's point of view.

Regards,
Pinolian
Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Aviak

I'd say that depends on if they have a new attorney that needs something to do. I doubt they would see P99 as a market threat, but it might be seen as a threat to the branding. Who knows what direction they are going. The EQ name really only carries any weight with the older gamers.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

It hasn't changed anything yet; I think Rogean chimed in on an earlier thread similar to this one and said that it has no effect on p99.

*edit*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This doesn't affect us. We don't make any money or charge our players, and venture capitalists only care about money. They wouldn't benefit.
Last edited by Laugher; 02-12-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

Nova has already started layoffs a week after buying the place and saying everything was going to be cool.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=35707

Quote:
One year ago I took the above picture of a smiling Linda "Brasse" Carlson, the Director of Community Relations, in her expertly handmade dwarven regalia, on the Sony Online Entertainment campus.

About an hour ago the first confirmed layoff from the transition to Daybreak Games hit, with Linda posting on Facebook that "I have been released from the best and most challenging job I have ever had. I thank you all for being part of that incredible experience. Too many people to thank personally, but know that I am extraordinarily grateful and very curious where life takes me now."

Linda isn't the only one affected. EverQuest franchise Director of Development Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson has confirmed now on Twitter that he was laid off. EverQuest II artist Aaron "Gnobrin" Bisnett has also confirmed that he is gone, and we've been told that Akil "Lyndro" Hooper from EQ/EQ2 has been let go as well.

Also confirmed are Adam "Ngreth" Bell (EQ dev) (x), Tiffany "Amnerys" Spence (Community) (x), Racheal "Afista" McKenny (EQ2 Community) (x), Endymion (EQ2 dev) (x), Eric "Felgon" Smith (Landmark/EQNext producer) (x), Noah Watkins (H1Z1 artist) (x), Steve "Moorgard" Danuser (EQNext Lead Content/Story Designer) (x), Kelduum Revaan (H1Z1 Technical Designer) (x) and Aimee "Ashlanne" Rekoske (Community) (x). There are likely many more, but these are the only ones we publicly know of at this time.

Colette "Dexella" Murphey posted the company's official statement; here are the key points:

Last week we announced that we were acquired and are now operating independently as
Daybreak Game Company.

Unfortunately, this realignment means adjusting staffing as well. We announced today that we
will eliminate positions in our San Diego and Austin studios.

These reductions will not affect the operation of our current games and as mentioned above, will
help better position our company for future success.

Daybreak's full statement is found after the jump. We wish the best to everyone involved.

Dear Players, Partners & Friends,

Last week we announced that we were acquired and are now operating independently as
Daybreak Game Company. To better position our newly independent studio for future growth
opportunities and to deliver on our legacy of making top online games, we have had to make
some tough choices including realignment of resources.

Unfortunately, this realignment means adjusting staffing as well. We announced today that we
will eliminate positions in our San Diego and Austin studios
. We deeply value our employees
and never take these decisions lightly so we’ve done our best to do what’s right for the people
affected. Although extremely difficult, these are necessary actions that will ultimately drive
improved results and help strengthen our company’s foundation for success. Many of us are
saying goodbye to close friends and colleagues who we’ve worked with over the years, and we
are grateful for the memories and all that they’ve contributed. They will be greatly missed, and
we wish them nothing but the best for the future.

These reductions will not affect the operation of our current games and as mentioned above, will
help better position our company for future success. As we move forward, we are committed to
delivering the best online games and working side-by-side with our players to drive the future of
our online games.

Thank you for your continued support,
The Daybreak Games Team
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Sarnak

Pretty typical, though sorry to see some of the names I recognize go.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

considering they fired mostly eq people, i would be suprised if they even heard of p99. the countless emails from "concerned bluebies" isnt helping tho, i would think.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

If anyone saw an EQ Next YouTube vid in the last year, they'd understand some of these layoffs... seems like the whole team spends their days drinking coffee and eating donuts rather than actually getting on with producing anything.

np tho, lets spend another session looking at what "not classic" structures, party zones and other Secondlife shit people have made over the last couple of weeks.

RIP EQ Next, it may not be dead yet but its on life support.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Fire Giant

It's pretty sad to hear about the layoffs, especially with the names I can recognize and know.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone saw an EQ Next YouTube vid in the last year, they'd understand some of these layoffs... seems like the whole team spends their days drinking coffee and eating donuts rather than actually getting on with producing anything.

np tho, lets spend another session looking at what "not classic" structures, party zones and other Secondlife shit people have made over the last couple of weeks.

RIP EQ Next, it may not be dead yet but its on life support.
They (upper management) got comfortable on the big Sony money teet and the staff followed. This crew has lacked vision and direction for over a decade and that problem starts with the CEO. Hopefully this doesn't spell the end of the EQ franchise or worse turning it into a joke.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Sarnak

it is the CEO's fault, but smedley kept his job.
Closed Thread