Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you think the same of folks enjoy chess, or golf? I've played those games "over and over" too. I'm not inclined to toss a hobby in the trashcan simply because it isn't new anymore.

----------------------------------------

With now 27 expansions in 21+ years, what is the current rate of new expansion production? For awhile Sony was cranking them out two a year but clearly it must have slowed. Due to its age and extended timeline EQ serves as an example of the downfall of the MMO-RPG genre due to the expansion business model: If you find such a game you like, in most cases it's only a matter of time until it morphs into something completely different.

Danth
Imagine equating chess and golf to p99.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

nice was just thinking about this a couple days ago - we were due for an announcement. every single year getting a qtr 4 new xpac since 2007; and before that EVEN MORE often

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:expansions

21 years; 27 xpacs

dats eq baby
Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just let our sweet EQ RIP

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2020, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

old man maga hat who retired his closest to lv 60 endorses meme about game he claims is dead but actually left him behind and he never really understood

pras eq live
pras tlps
pras JCHAN!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:03 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds like fun content for my 12 autobot army to grind through while I manage scripts and data in a spreadsheet on a second monitor.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like fun content for my 12 autobot army to grind through while I manage scripts and data in a spreadsheet on a second monitor.
I LOL'd IRL
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 10-15-2020, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I the only one who doesn't find boxing fun at all?
Like whats the point... It feels so annoying to do
Old 10-15-2020, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherSioux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine equating chess and golf to p99.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/55642407.pdf

Quote:
Social Interaction Design in MMOs
Nelson Zagalo and Aníbal Gonçalves
Abstract:
This chapter discusses logics of design implemented within MMO’s to support social interaction. First
we try to understand how designers attract players to games that request constant collaboration and
cooperation actions to play and progress, and then how do they maintain the interest throughout
playing. For the first question we discuss in depth the design for social interdependency, as for the
second, we present a study on persuasion techniques used in the design of social game mechanics.
We’ve used World of Warcraft as our main case study.
Key words: game design, social interaction, MMO, persuasion, interdependency

1. Introduction
Games are inherently of social nature. Chess or checkers were designed to be experienced not only
with the game itself, but also with others.
On the other hand, videogames are inherently of solitary
nature. Since the beginning, the story of games was attached to the specificity of putting the machine
in the place of the opponent. A.S. Douglas PhD thesis on Human-Machine Interaction (1954) at the
University of Cambridge was to prove that he could build an algorithm that would be able to respond
as a human-to-human play. Or even Pong, the beauty of it was that we could be alone at home and
still play the game against the machine.
The question raised is, what is more rewarding to the user? We've seen from the current trends in
videogames that the social has never been vanished, and more than ever videogames use the social
as condition to sell. Starting with MUDs, then MMOs and more recently Social Games, online games
were able to bring the social into the equation again – even more so than before.
Therefore studying MMOs means studying social aspects of games, aspects as “human attachment”
(Bowlby, 1969:39) or in a broader sense, how communities are built. Mammalian babies would not
survive without strong attachment with parents, which feel in return the need to protect and take care,
a process of basic bonding. As most studies in Positive Psychology demonstrate, millennia of
evolution took us to feel the most rewarded through doing good to others (Sheldon e Lyubomirsky,
2004). This takes us to the main question about what generates groups and communities, and why do
they stay together? The answers are in survival, the group is a condition to survive for mammalians,
and we can say that the energy to propel grouping comes from the actions of interdependence
between members of a group.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trying to 6 box on 2 pc's in 2002 without a 3rd party software to manage the dps classes(or any other class) was a challenge. Trying to keep my alt tabbing in order in my head as I'm firing hotkey after hotkey.

Now imagine playing 3 characters while you're watching your AI tank get healed by your AI healers while you run 3 other classes. Much less challenging. Less endorphin release when you don't wipe.

There is a difference between then and now.

I tried giving live EQ servers a shot about 8 years back. I didn't know how to play my character after getting some damned "catch-up" level-up to 85. There were too many options on the UI for me to decipher. Too many AA's. Too many zones with not enough players in them. There was something called dailys that I had to do but didn't understand.

I felt like an old person learning to use the PC for the first time. It was scary and I wasn't having it. There is just too much damned "catch up" to do. No thank you. I will stick to P99.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Last edited by Nuggie; 10-15-2020 at 01:09 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 02:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha I got hooked into it on live at one point, I ran a party of 6 with MQ2 (dont worry im not a hacker someone who had a subscription to it was showing me how, because I was trying to box 3 characters manually and that was as much as I could handle and he introduced me to the dark underbelly of live eq. I ended up gifting him my 6 characters down the road, he was a chinese gold farmer that lived in an industrial wasteland according to google maps, or so he claimed! ...Looking back I feel like he just recruited me to level up 6 characters for him to sell but oh well haha.) but I'm not even sure I think MQ2 is like legal on live now? Idk.. but boxers all use it, no way they dont, I found every single person I was talking to used it on live at the secrets of faydwer time when I was playing... it's fun, but it is by no means everquest. It's a game about managing a squad of bots for sure.

It is nothing I would consider a "fantasy roleplaying game" its definitely more like a "bot AI machine game" like Factorio lol
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-15-2020 at 02:38 AM..
Closed Thread