Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 05-30-2023, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds good! Name the camp you want to do and I'll do it too. We can compare videos to see who did it faster.
we racing for pink slips?
Old 05-30-2023, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we racing for pink slips?
Unless I misunderstood your last post, you offered to do a comparison with your Paladin. If you don't want to, that's fine, but then I am not sure why you offered just a few minutes ago.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

Well now that VQ is dead, DSM will be back to full forum trolling .
Old 05-30-2023, 03:52 PM
Kobold

Toxigen won't do it though. You know why? SK is going to kill faster.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

You can get really creative with SK fear kiting in close quarters. Paired with the right gear like epic/crown/fungi/BE clickies, my SK could go for a few hours at a time before really needing a serious med break to the point where I don't believe any other melee could keep up xp wise.

This is really dependent on the camp though, if there's no room at all and you have to face tank constantly, like Kedge, pally will win hands down because SKs struggle with downtime heals. They got shafted not having access to 210 bind wound as well, which I find odd because pallies got it and they are better healers.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can get really creative with SK fear kiting in close quarters. Paired with the right gear like epic/crown/fungi/BE clickies, my SK could go for a few hours at a time before really needing a serious med break to the point where I don't believe any other melee could keep up xp wise.

This is really dependent on the camp though, if there's no room at all and you have to face tank constantly, like Kedge, pally will win hands down because SKs struggle with downtime heals. They got shafted not having access to 210 bind wound as well, which I find odd because pallies got it and they are better healers.
I agree with this. Any situation where the SK cannot fear kite (camp setup or mob immunity), then a Paladin is superior. They can face tank better, and don't need to worry as much about spell resists since they are healing themselves more often than they are attempting to land a spell on the mob.

This mostly becomes an issue with solo challenges. Typically a level 60 SK isn't going to be soloing mobs that are 55+ or snare/fear immune to begin with. That type of encounter is ranging into the territory of trying to solo a Cliff Golem. Both SKs and Paladins can do that if they are geared well enough, but the Paladin will probably have the easier time. But those mobs are better suited to be killed by other classes hehe. If you can fully raid gear a Paladin or SK, you probably have another class that could do the encounter better.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:04 PM
Planar Protector

Soloing a CG is quite a feat with a melee. The issue with the pally is the HoT is great but its like 30hp/sec while rolling. Give or take half the hp you get from a lifetap not to mention the damage it does.

Any situation where 30hp/sec is good enough or you want to throw it on another player like a rogue, i personally like the pally spellbook. Going toe to toe with something doing more than that much dps its just a matter of time unless you reach into the bag of clickies. Then again, most SK's dont have an ungodly level of mana...just a few that make really cool solo vids [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-02-2023, 06:54 AM
Planar Protector

Stating the obvious but SKs also having Harm Touch gives them an edge, despite how irregular it does any/full damage even with disc applied. Back when push interrupt worked, a resisted HT still had value versus casters because it would push enough to prevent a complete heal/gate. As others have said, mostly it's that the SK can layer on more damage with heavy dots for a fight or two, but those dots cost quite a bit of mana. Except for their pet, OOM puts the SK back in the vicinity of the paladin who wouldn't be able to temporarily increase their damage output even with unlimited mana. If only heals doubled as damage spells versus undead in EQ...
Old 06-02-2023, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

i wanna see the pally vs sk clear video
would watch
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 06-02-2023, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

What do we wanna do for a route, DSM?

Seb ent to NG safe spot?

Freeti trash to freeti?

Hole rat jail full clear?

I'm kind of stuck on ideas. May try to get a level as well. Don't think I'll need it but 58 vs 55 is a bit heavy.
Last edited by Toxigen; 06-02-2023 at 10:28 AM..