Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Aviak

Default Knight vs Ranger dps

With the updated 2h weapon tables, are rangers still substantially ahead of knights once they get a Tuna sword or Palladius axe? It looks like most rangers are opting for 2hers as well but their ratios aren't as strong.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:57 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers have a number of buffs that proc damage (and while knights do too they aren't equal)

Rangers offense is at 252 and knights are still at 225

Rangers 2H is 250 while I think knights are 225

While Knights and Rangers both have a fast casting melee spell Rangers get two (Call of Flame and Calefaction)

There maybe other things.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the updated 2h weapon tables, are rangers still substantially ahead of knights once they get a Tuna sword or Palladius axe? It looks like most rangers are opting for 2hers as well but their ratios aren't as strong.
Yea cek sword on ranger parses better then 1h, ranger can disc and do rogue dmg every 72min. Knight cant.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:54 PM
Planar Protector

Rangers get an innate attack bonus starting at level 55 iirc.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 01-09-2023, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

On vindi my ranger (13/19 and 14/18) w/o avatar or AOB items but VoG and Focus did about 10% less than a Cek 2h ranger (63 vs 67). A 3 single 3 min parse is anecdotal but illustrative. It seems a coin toss in other content. A primal 2h pally is on average about 10% up as well. Fights, buffs, and luck varies so people rarely post parses that they eat dirt on. I’m all over the middle of the map (sometimes beating these folks) on average unless using a bfg, then further up the curve.

Even past the personal numbers an extra ranger is usually more helpful than a knight (unless they have a soulfire or are tanking). Attack buffs in 40 players is notable and a well timed bump can be invaluable. If you can offer solid performance and other perks tho it didn’t matter if knight if ranger.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-09-2023 at 01:38 AM..
Old 01-09-2023, 01:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers get an innate attack bonus starting at level 55 iirc.
Not sure if that's accurate. It could simply that a 55+ the Offensive skill cap increased for rangers. The only thing that Offense skill seems to do here is give small increase to attack power, 1 per offense skill and maybe increase the max melee dmg by a small amount. From What I know, the largest effect on DPS is Gear>Levels>Haste>Stats. Obviously, Melee always parse better than non-melee classes due to Double attack + Damage bonuses post 30. I don't think that the skills/stats has as large a effect on player DPS as all Gear though. I don't have access to a 60 Knight yet or I would parse it. I do have a 60 monk and 60 Ranger I can parse. If I have time later tomorrow, I will try to parse of both of them.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:54 AM
Orc

Nice thread OP!! I'd like to talk about it for a long time~
I have a ranger and my friend has a pally, we are in same guild so its easy to compare our dps in raid or small group...
Our dps are very close when we killing raid targets like vindi, thifling focuser (easy to parse melees stay close and didn't move at all)
Ranger wielding Meljeldin (best 2hs for ranger, best ratio 2hander for ranger is Shovel of the Harvest but i don't have it)
Pally wielding Tuna sword (best 2hander for knights)
We are close means sometimes ranger do more dmg sometimes pally do more

Do ranger dps was "substantially ahead of knights" before i come to p99?

When i was young (like 20 years ago), there are rumors about hybrids, they said knights trade off their dps to cast some spells so they can tank like a warrior but do less dmg, rangers trade off their tank ability for spells so they can do same dps as warrior but tank like shit, maybe it was true when lvl is capped at 50 ...
Old 01-09-2023, 02:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogundordor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice thread OP!! I'd like to talk about it for a long time~
I have a ranger and my friend has a pally, we are in same guild so its easy to compare our dps in raid or small group...
Our dps are very close when we killing raid targets like vindi, thifling focuser (easy to parse melees stay close and didn't move at all)
Ranger wielding Meljeldin (best 2hs for ranger, best ratio 2hander for ranger is Shovel of the Harvest but i don't have it)
Pally wielding Tuna sword (best 2hander for knights)
We are close means sometimes ranger do more dmg sometimes pally do more

Do ranger dps was "substantially ahead of knights" before i come to p99?

When i was young (like 20 years ago), there are rumors about hybrids, they said knights trade off their dps to cast some spells so they can tank like a warrior but do less dmg, rangers trade off their tank ability for spells so they can do same dps as warrior but tank like shit, maybe it was true when lvl is capped at 50 ...
It might been misunderstood at the time how/why things work on EQ. A lot of players had misconceptions back then about how the game mechanics worked. It may be that they saw that Knights did less dmg or parsed worse, but they may not have been accounting for fact that in groups Knights more often than not are required to Tank and they will spam spells a lot to hold aggro. A knight won't do melee damage while casting spells, so this would reduce their parsed DPS. Rangers on the other hand are more likely to have been put in a DPS roll which requires minimal spell use or even use of spells that do damage, IE Nukes, Dots.
Old 01-09-2023, 02:19 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It might been misunderstood at the time how/why things work on EQ. A lot of players had misconceptions back then about how the game mechanics worked. It may be that they saw that Knights did less dmg or parsed worse, but they may not have been accounting for fact that in groups Knights more often than not are required to Tank and they will spam spells a lot to hold aggro. A knight won't do melee damage while casting spells, so this would reduce their parsed DPS. Rangers on the other hand are more likely to have been put in a DPS roll which requires minimal spell use or even use of spells that do damage, IE Nukes, Dots.
Yes yes agree, its no good to direct compare knights dps, cos sometimes they went to trash tank, "protect chanters" they are not always doing dps when rangers are mainly doing dps or cast 1 or 2 jolt/cotp if asked
i'll try to find some log that is "no trash tanking no buffing mainly dpsing" when home [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-09-2023, 02:29 AM
Planar Protector

45/38 compared to a knight with 50/39 w/ 160 DD special represents a fairly substantial handicap for the ranger. That they do similar damage when the knight has a significantly better weapon illustrates the ranger's superior baseline. Be interesting to parse them with all other factors (buffs, weapons, et cetera) being identical so as to show how much class alone affects it.

Danth