Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-18-2023, 11:49 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Stop chat window text message partway through and send keystrokes to game instead?

So say I'm halfway through typing a /tell to someone and get attacked or something unexpected. I need access to my keys for dealing with the situation, but if I press "1" to use a hotbar macro for example, it will of course just type '1' into my message instead, and do nothing gameplay-wise.

I know I can press Enter but that will send half a tell, which is not ideal at all. At best, I can press Shift+Down then Enter to clear my message and get my keys back, but that's multiple keystrokes AND my half-message is gone for ever (shift+up doesn't bring back up un-sent messages).

I'd rather have something I can press/click that stops typing my message and allows me to send keys to the game, but then when I'm done dealing with the situation I can resume typing the rest of my message where I left off.

The thing is, I swear I've reached this state accidentally sometimes, where I have a partial message typed but keys aren't going to the message any more, but I can press Enter or click in the message window to resume. I just don't know how I reached that state - maybe just from zoning? Or if I just imagined it...

Anyway, what is the recommended/best way to get keyboard controls back while in the middle of typing a message, without sending a half-message, and ideally being able to resume typing it once the situation is resolved, if such a thing exists?
Old 05-19-2023, 08:09 AM
Large Rat

click on a different chat window (not in the box for typing). should leave your tell in the original window unsent and sitting there, and allow use of keys.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Orc

You can manually click one of your hotkeys and it'll release your keyboard and leave the message there but unsent.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Half messages are classic!

-Mcoy
Old 05-19-2023, 04:59 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks! I was hoping there's be another keyboard key I could press since already have hands on the keyboard anyway, but clicking on a chat window does the trick at least! I feel like pressing Esc should do it, that's what I naturally try first, but it just drops your target and your keys still go to the message :P.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Messaging / elf relationships more important than PVE encounters. Classic.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks! I was hoping there's be another keyboard key I could press since already have hands on the keyboard anyway, but clicking on a chat window does the trick at least! I feel like pressing Esc should do it, that's what I naturally try first, but it just drops your target and your keys still go to the message :P.
There is a keyboard command:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can press Shift+Down then Enter to clear my message and get my keys back
Unfortunately it just loses what you were typing, as you noted. But ... surely you're not composing treatises in your chat window?

P.S. In theory there's probably even a way to map another key to "SHIFT+DOWN", but ... then you're getting into macroing territory, which could potentially violate rules (I wouldn't try it).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.