Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

Default Isn't it time to find out what lies in the future for the servers?

We're rapidly approaching the end of Velious and release of the final bits of content to be available on Project 1999 Green Server. Isn't it about time that we find out what lies in store for us in the future?

Some speculate that Green will be rolled onto Blue and that we will see a new Green server. Others hope it will be a new Red server. Fact is, nobody outside of the Project 1999 team really knows.

Why is it important for us to know?

It's no secret that we have become invested into our characters in Everquest and that most of us are balancing real life with gaming, hopefully with a healthy ratio.

For me and I'm sure many others choices like making a new character or pushing for X goal in the game are difficult to make when we don't know what's in the future. As much as I enjoy the journey, I can't motivate myself to start X character only to halfway have to abandon it as a new server is announced with all of its implications.

Thus I humbly request that us, the players, are also to be let into the know of what the intentions are for the future of the servers?
Old 12-23-2021, 12:24 PM
Skeleton

Hot take:

Allow people on green and blue to /movelog and designate one server for p99-style FTE racing, the other for classic-era server type rotations.

While probably pretty unpopular around these parts, community-led content rotated servers were definitely a thing in classic eras covered by p99.

Rathe server had a pretty simple one - needed to kill a raid mob once via FTE (either a guild was slacking or they let you try) before being added to the rotation list. If you couldn’t kill when your mob was up within X hours of its spawn, you needed to pass to the next guild. If you made Y attempt(s) and failed, you needed to pass.

Elflawyering goes down as a happy side effect.
Last edited by torpori; 12-23-2021 at 12:40 PM..
Old 12-26-2021, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpori [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hot take:

Allow people on green and blue to /movelog and designate one server for p99-style FTE racing, the other for classic-era server type rotations.

While probably pretty unpopular around these parts, community-led content rotated servers were definitely a thing in classic eras covered by p99.

Rathe server had a pretty simple one - needed to kill a raid mob once via FTE (either a guild was slacking or they let you try) before being added to the rotation list. If you couldn’t kill when your mob was up within X hours of its spawn, you needed to pass to the next guild. If you made Y attempt(s) and failed, you needed to pass.

I love it. This would be a dream for many players.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is mine too, and I'm sure LOTS of players here.

But, sadly, 10 years of this place have demonstrated that a "non-competitive" server is very much not R&N's dream [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We can only hope/dream that will someday change ... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL... I mentioned this as a hypothetical path for the next time a new server starts up. One competitive, one rotation server... let players choose what works best for them. Caused a complete hissyfit by merely bringing up the idea.

I don't get why something we do on a rotation server would impact anyone on the competitive server. Especially when the response is "go play on an instanced TLP server then". Why does it matter whether I am playing on a P99 "rotation" server or a TLP instanced server?

The only answer I can think of is that hardcore players are worried AF that the population of the competitive server would rival that of Red, which tells you all you need to know about the dynamic that exists here.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-01-2022, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL... I mentioned this as a hypothetical path for the next time a new server starts up. One competitive, one rotation server... let players choose what works best for them. Caused a complete hissyfit by merely bringing up the idea.

I don't get why something we do on a rotation server would impact anyone on the competitive server. Especially when the response is "go play on an instanced TLP server then". Why does it matter whether I am playing on a P99 "rotation" server or a TLP instanced server?

The only answer I can think of is that hardcore players are worried AF that the population of the competitive server would rival that of Red, which tells you all you need to know about the dynamic that exists here.
Have you ever been doing something the wrong way, and when someone points it out, you get mad at them, because it makes you realize you've been doing it the wrong way the whole time? I think it's a bit like that.

I think the "care bear" server would just be massively more fun for everyone, and even the competitors know it ... so they fear it, because they've already conditioned themselves to want "competition" over all else [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, more practically speaking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hardcore players are worried AF that the population of the competitive server would rival that of Red
Seriously: the "competitors" would be stuck on a server with like 200 fellow competitors, and that would make them miserable.

But again, it doesn't matter, because R&N are the competitive type.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-01-2022 at 12:57 PM..
Old 01-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you ever been doing something the wrong way, and when someone points it out, you get mad at them, because it makes you realize you've been doing it the wrong way the whole time? I think it's a bit like that.

I think the "care bear" server would just be massively more fun for everyone, and even the competitors know it ... so they fear it, because they've already conditioned themselves to want "competition" over all else [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, more practically speaking:

Seriously: the "competitors" would be stuck on a server with like 200 fellow competitors, and that would make them miserable.

But again, it doesn't matter, because R&N are the competitive type.
The dream for me is P99 with instanced raids, disabled MQ’s and loot locked world mobs. And as you suggest, I’m most likely not the minority. Most of us are well into our careers, have wives and children. Raiding on a schedule would be bliss. Unfortunately most of us just don’t have the kind of disposable time to justify classic “competition” of EQ.

That all being said, I’m fully aware just how far away that is from classic and that’s not the goal that our devs have in mind. Completely fine with that. But I’d be curious to see how successful and populated that server would be compared the current rule set.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpori [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hot take:

what a great way to split the population more than it already is!

great thinking there bud! also it doesn't hurt to know that rogean and nilbog HATES

rotations!
Old 01-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what a great way to split the population more than it already is!

great thinking there bud! also it doesn't hurt to know that rogean and nilbog HATES

rotations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That post smells of, "Someone likes something I don't like? Destroy it!"

Danth

Old 12-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

They are going to merge the servers. Why would they pay for two pve servers at exactly the same stage in progression? That’s expensive and there’s no reason for it. It’s also become clear that we can’t sustain two servers with the current population. Frankly I cannot wait for a merge; zones are ghost towns outside of a select few hot spots, the economies are completely slow and stale, since the servers are top heavy it can be hard to find full groups for leveling, etc. and that applies to both Blue and Green
Closed Thread