Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

Default Necro in lower guk

I never did a whole lot of guk on live so I thought I would take my 51 necro their to learn a bit of the zone. IVU down to to the frenzy spawn and decided to try root rotting some of the blue cons *outside* of the spawn room. The main problem I'm having is paralyzing earth breaking so often. That combined with the tight spaces and not a lot of room for a runway made for some pretty painful breaks.

So after thinking about it I have a couple ideas for a new approach and hopefully someone can share their experiences as well.

My first idea was to try using screaming terror as apposed to immediately casting PE again on breaks. But now that
I'm looking at it, ST has a longer cast time so that option seems out.

So i'm wondering if perhaps a different root spell would be a better option. For instance, hungry earth. Only works on undead which is fine in this case and last for 8 ticks. The wiki doesn't say that it breaks randomly but that could have been left out I suppose. If that's true, I would love a consistent 8 ticks of root if I could count on it. Seems to good to be true.

Besides that I'm kind of at a loss. Wait for 52 and manaskin?

At work can't test myself. Thanks!
Last edited by Castamere; 06-22-2016 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

All roots break randomly AFAIK.

I never did lguk on a necro but I'd try the charming approach for sure.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All roots break randomly AFAIK.

I never did lguk on a necro but I'd try the charming approach for sure.
Right on. gonna give that a go
Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castamere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never did a whole lot of guk on live so I thought I would take my 51 necro their to learn a bit of the zone. IVU down to to the frenzy spawn and decided to try root rotting some of the blue cons *outside* of the spawn room. The main problem I'm having is paralyzing earth breaking so often. That combined with the tight spaces and not a lot of room for a runway made for some pretty painful breaks.

So after thinking about it I have a couple ideas for a new approach and hopefully someone can share their experiences as well.

My first idea was to try using screaming terror as apposed to immediately casting PE again on breaks. But now that
I'm looking at it, ST has a longer cast time so that option seems out.

So i'm wondering if perhaps a different root spell would be a better option. For instance, hungry earth. Only works on undead which is fine in this case and last for 8 ticks. The wiki doesn't say that it breaks randomly but that could have been left out I suppose. If that's true, I would love a consistent 8 ticks of root if I could count on it. Seems to good to be true.

Besides that I'm kind of at a loss. Wait for 52 and manaskin?

At work can't test myself. Thanks!
All roots break randomly, so hungry earth will set you back to 8 ticks vs 30 ticks with paralyzing earth. Higher levels are going to be the main factor in your roots lasting until duration. You'll get Enstill at 53 but its a downgrade. PE is a 49/56 spell versus Enstill at 29/34 for a lot of classes.

Charm is the way to go in Lguk, just always be ready to Screaming Terror when it breaks. If your roots are breaking too much you can always dooming darkness for some time, but as always pay attention to dots when needing to FD.

Manaskin might be useful for when you're first getting used to charming but I use steelskin 90% of the time.
Last edited by Crawdad; 06-22-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Don't use PE unless you have quite a few levels on stuff, you need a root to last a long time, and no direct damage (nukes, procs) is being done to the rooted mob... especially if you're only dealing with 1-3 mobs at a time.

Otherwise lower-level roots are as efficient time:cost wise and are cheaper to recast on breaks and are faster casting.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:09 AM
Sarnak

I always felt that PE had a higher chance at lasting longer than the other roots (except Fetter). For example that it resisted breaking better on nukes and stuff.

Not scientifically tested though. Just feels more reliable. Might just be the potential (and awesome) max duration giving me the feels.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Sarnak

I've spent SIGNIFICANT time charm soloing in Lguk on a Necro. Here are a few tips.

1. You will die learning.
2. You will die more learning.
3. Always have FD, Harmshield, and ST memmed.
4. Rest the Dead is a necessity. Also, LoS is neither necessary nor desired when casting it. You should be in a spot so that if you get a crit resist and aggro frogs you have time to FD, stand up (if it fails) and cast harmshield prior to even seeing frogs and wait for FD CD. If you get 2 FD fails in a row or a spell takes you out of FD the second time there is usually nothing you could have done about this and is an inherent risk charm soloing in Lguk.
5. Get used to spell swapping mid fight - quickly.
6. Go for very low dark blues. Level is by far the most influencing factor here when it comes to resists and charm/root breaks. If you have to lull a bunch of stuff, start from the low level stuff up.
7. I've found using root vice Hungry earth is sufficient. You don't have the spell bar space for 2 roots most of the time and HE has a cooldown so if you have to root multiple things or you get a resist/break during the CD you are completely fucked.
8. Learn to time FD with mob spell casts.
9. ALWAYS keep the mob your pet is fighting rooted, and if it is a caster, keep it out of LOS so when charm breaks it won't immediately start casting on you.
10. Your pet's ghoul root will overwrite your root and it will be impossible to tell when it breaks, necessitating another re-root by you - another reason to use your cheapest root. This will often be the limiting time on root, not full duration or early breaks.
11. Dar ghoul knights do not fuck around.
12. You need some item that resets GCD, be that goblin earring or something similar.
13. Circlet of Shadow is very helpful (although not necessary) for breaking charm.
14. You will die learning.
15. Diamondskin is clutch. Jasper (like 7g, right?) for several hundred hitpoints. The only time I used manaskin was during hard breaks such as on Arch Magus (he and the Jins/Kors nuke for 650-700) or during Ghoul Lord (who btw, IMO, is the hardest room to solo in Dead Side. The resists are insane and he has a lot of HP. Do not recommend until 56-57 at the earliest).
16. Charm soloing in Lguk is the most fun I've ever had in the game.
Last edited by Ando; 06-23-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

I can almost hear the sound of bones being crushed and the text "You've been slain by a dar ghoul knight!".
Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've spent SIGNIFICANT time charm soloing in Lguk on a Necro. Here are a few tips.

1. You will die learning.
2. You will die more learning.
3. Always have FD, Harmshield, and ST memmed.
4. Rest the Dead is a necessity. Also, LoS is neither necessary nor desired when casting it. You should be in a spot so that if you get a crit resist and aggro frogs you have time to FD, stand up (if it fails) and cast harmshield prior to even seeing frogs and wait for FD CD. If you get 2 FD fails in a row or a spell takes you out of FD the second time there is usually nothing you could have done about this and is an inherent risk charm soloing in Lguk.
5. Get used to spell swapping mid fight - quickly.
6. Go for very low dark blues. Level is by far the most influencing factor here when it comes to resists and charm/root breaks. If you have to lull a bunch of stuff, start from the low level stuff up.
7. I've found using root vice Hungry earth is sufficient. You don't have the spell bar space for 2 roots most of the time and HE has a cooldown so if you have to root multiple things or you get a resist/break during the CD you are completely fucked.
8. Learn to time FD with mob spell casts.
9. ALWAYS keep the mob your pet is fighting rooted, and if it is a caster, keep it out of LOS so when charm breaks it won't immediately start casting on you.
10. Your pet's ghoul root will overwrite your root and it will be impossible to tell when it breaks, necessitating another re-root by you - another reason to use your cheapest root. This will often be the limiting time on root, not full duration or early breaks.
11. Dar ghoul knights do not fuck around.
12. You need some item that resets GCD, be that goblin earring or something similar.
13. Circlet of Shadow is very helpful (although not necessary) for breaking charm.
14. You will die learning.
15. Diamondskin is clutch. Jasper (like 7g, right?) for several hundred hitpoints. The only time I used manaskin was during hard breaks such as on Arch Magus (he and the Jins/Kors nuke for 650-700) or during Ghoul Lord (who btw, IMO, is the hardest room to solo in Dead Side. The resists are insane and he has a lot of HP. Do not recommend until 56-57 at the earliest).
16. Charm soloing in Lguk is the most fun I've ever had in the game.
Thanks for the write up. Most of my deaths so far have been from fat fingering (on red) and having to take the damage while I wait for the wrong spell to finish channeling. Charming has been tough since I can't put a whole lot of distance between me and the two mobs and I have to recast root so dang often that I end up with two mobs running at me on charm break. Granted, I spent a good bit of time trying to break the frenzy camp and I know the bloodthirsty ghouls are tougher. Maybe I should stick to non-named for a level or two and retry.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Sarnak

Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable charming AM or Frenzy at 51 as someone new to charming. Root rotting frenzy with lull though is definitely viable, especially since snare and root now stack.

If you're going to root rot a hard camp I'd pull out a pet, especially on AM, and let him eat all of the nukes long enough for you to DOT the everliving shit out of him and then root him around a corner and LOS. Props here also if you have a shovel of ponz and reclaim your pet as he is about to die to regain a lot of the mana you just used casting said DOTs.
Last edited by Ando; 06-23-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Closed Thread