Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

As a new homeowner who wants to do some renovations... what a silly time to buy a house! Guess I'm waiting to do any major lumber-related work. Apparently prices are 3-4x what they normally are.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:42 PM
Planar Protector

I wear a sweatshirt from a Baltimore lumber company I'm not affiliated with. My friend may have been. It was his. I dunno. It's a nice oversized hoodie. I'm for wood overall. Splinters fucking suck though.
Last edited by Cecily; 04-02-2021 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-02-2021, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

We must be running out of wood
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM
Banned

Nah. Weyerhaeuser still has considerable natural resource holdings throughout the PNW despite BLM/Antifa's deliberate forest fires last year. A lot of what is still being harvested is being shipped overseas while intentional scarcity is maintained within the US to both extract a higher premium on the lumber itself, and hedge against intrinsic lockdown risks which would threaten to age said lumber past it's expiry. Believe it or not, wood is an expirable product, and no one wants to see millions of dollars in inventory loss two years in a row, so the wood they have had to sit on for the past year has higher carrying costs due to it occupying warehousing space for a longer period of time than what had been the "normal" precovid, and the hiking of price is used to offset those increased carrying costs.

As they say: "there is no free lunch" and no one is selling product for below cost; price being a function of cost, of course.

Everyone should've just told the government to fuck themselves when the can was kicked past "flattening the curve" to outright "elimination" to "until the vaccine" to "until 90% have taken the vaccine".

All the shut it all down "if you would just wear the mask" and vote in a geriatric retard enthusiasts deserve this. Wait till the fed has to announce the inflation numbers by the end of year [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To circle back onto the forest fires debacle, it's a well known fact that a forest fire is necessary to activate the germination of the sitka spruce seed bank, in a few years when the forests recover from your antics, they'll have more suitable lumber than they had before, and at a lesser cost, because setting up a controlled burn in PNW is helluva lot more expensive then wantonly burning the forest down in an uncontrolled manner

Smokey says....
Last edited by Gwaihir; 04-02-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-02-2021, 02:38 PM
Banned

speaking of Weyer...

https://www.google.com/finance/quote...ecFMAB6BAgYEBo

Probably a pretty solid long term investment with the inventory bloom they have on the 5 to 10-year horizon.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The big issue causing supply shortages of EVERYTHING is our response to covid. Manufacturers of whatever supply had their inventory levels depleted with lockdowns. Now Covid social distancing and shutdowns whenever there is a positive test on site is killing their ability to catch up.
though I would agree with you, why does covid create a shortage in housing and reccord housing prices and a V shaped recovery 2 months into a 1 year shut in? I guess if the low interest rates are why.

So I suppose this is the state of the union: a bunch of rich people holding bags of money think because of interest rates now is a good time to buy a new home..

..meanwhile we're circling the greatest unemployment numbers in since the depression and a min wage everyone has been saying was too low to live on for the last 20 years and a horizon of hyperinflation.

I hope I am wrong because I'm just a cog in this machine, but the future sure seems suspect to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 04-02-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Old 04-02-2021, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

i got wood
Old 04-02-2021, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah. Weyerhaeuser still has considerable natural resource holdings throughout the PNW despite BLM/Antifa's deliberate forest fires last year. A lot of what is still being harvested is being shipped overseas while intentional scarcity is maintained within the US to both extract a higher premium on the lumber itself, and hedge against intrinsic lockdown risks which would threaten to age said lumber past it's expiry. Believe it or not, wood is an expirable product, and no one wants to see millions of dollars in inventory loss two years in a row, so the wood they have had to sit on for the past year has higher carrying costs due to it occupying warehousing space for a longer period of time than what had been the "normal" precovid, and the hiking of price is used to offset those increased carrying costs.

As they say: "there is no free lunch" and no one is selling product for below cost; price being a function of cost, of course.

Everyone should've just told the government to fuck themselves when the can was kicked past "flattening the curve" to outright "elimination" to "until the vaccine" to "until 90% have taken the vaccine".

All the shut it all down "if you would just wear the mask" and vote in a geriatric retard enthusiasts deserve this. Wait till the fed has to announce the inflation numbers by the end of year [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

To circle back onto the forest fires debacle, it's a well known fact that a forest fire is necessary to activate the germination of the sitka spruce seed bank, in a few years when the forests recover from your antics, they'll have more suitable lumber than they had before, and at a lesser cost, because setting up a controlled burn in PNW is helluva lot more expensive then wantonly burning the forest down in an uncontrolled manner

Smokey says....
We already went over this, the latest talking point is that the fires were caused by space lasers.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

the fed lies about inflation

in my life I saw jobs pay the same (actually much less thanks to all the student loans) as the price of lunch went up 20$ unless you eat fast food, and then its 8-12 dollars depending on your state.

the road map to the future lookn to me like:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-02-2021, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the fed lies about inflation

in my life I saw jobs pay the same (actually much less thanks to all the student loans) as the price of lunch went up 20$ unless you eat fast food, and then its 8-12 dollars depending on your state.

the road map to the future lookn to me like:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Might as well face it, you're addicted to doom
Closed Thread