Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Large Rat

Default Game freezing randomly, and always freezing when I hit ctrl alt delete

After an install on a new pc the game will rarely randomly lock up. when that happens the screen will be frozen, but I can still hear game sounds (running, spell casting...) but screen is just frozen. At this point if I minimize the screen it will be just a black screen when I open it back up.

This will always happen if I hit ctrl alt delete to open task manager... when I alt tab back game frozen. If I open task manager before starting EQ I can alt tab to it, and back to game without any freezing.

Any ideas?
Old 04-14-2020, 05:13 PM
Kobold

Run the game in windowed mode. Alt tabbing out of eq while it's in fullscreen mode will freeze it

Press alt+enter to switch between them

21 y/o fantasy nerd - Discord: Midoo#2125
Odym Drekk
- 52 BAR SHM (main) || Midoo - 51 BAR WAR (alt)

Old 04-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Large Rat

I do run in windowed mode
Old 04-14-2020, 05:46 PM
Sarnak

I haven't been able to fix this either, but it's not the 3 finger salute that does it to me. It's usually something random I do on another app that causes it, but it's not consistent. The only way I have to force it to happen is try to do anything with the log file while the client is running.

People have suggested running the app in XP SP3 or SP2 compatibility mode. That doesn't help me. I have gina audio triggers set up for tells or port requests in /gu and I hear those even though the client is completely frozen so I know it's still running!

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 04-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Large Rat

yes, If it were just avoiding ctrl alt delete I could do that, but it will happen randomly to me also, it just is 100% repeatable with ctrl alt delete, and the end result is the same
Old 04-14-2020, 07:43 PM
Aviak

I have the same issue, the only thing that seems to fix it for me is going Alt+Enter to go full screen and then hitting it again to go back to windowed mode. When it works, my mouse clicks are a quarter inch too low. It doesn't work often enough as I'd like. I did the service pack compatibility change and went to EQWin. Neither work consistently, although EQWin it happens less often.

I try to open other games up while I'm at camp but I can't. Just the act of switching back and forth between screens runs the risk of locking me up. I ask people every once in awhile in OOC with zero luck on any fixes.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 AM
Aviak

P99 is pretty finicky when it comes to resolution settings. Not sure exactly what causes this, but to fix it you can either follow the guide on the wiki or delete eqclient.ini and relaunch P99 so it'll create a new eqclient.ini with default settings.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimgor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P99 is pretty finicky when it comes to resolution settings. Not sure exactly what causes this, but to fix it you can either follow the guide on the wiki or delete eqclient.ini and relaunch P99 so it'll create a new eqclient.ini with default settings.
I've tried that. I've reinstalled the game completely, turned G-Sync off, turned down refresh rate to match my other monitors, adjusted eqclient.ini file several times to where it is all at one screen even though it matched native at the start. I'm using EQWin 2.0, but I don't seem to get all the options that it has listed in the manual it comes with, which is weird.

Nothing at all seems to work. If I'm lucky my screen just goes black and I can go full screen and back to window so I don't crash out. Doesn't seem like I've ran into many people with these issues at all.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:17 PM
Kobold

I'm in the same boat. If I am running the game and open another program that requires to approve running it as an admin, the EQ windowed screen goes black, but I'm in still in game as normal. Also happens if I unplug or plug in a new device such as a monitor or even a headset sometimes. Sometimes Alt Ent works to get it back but most of the time the screen stays black. I just /ex and restart.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:52 AM
Fire Giant

I just got installed on a new (good) computer and this happened to me.

The few times it has happened in 3 days of playing I have been going over cliffs or around corners.

Haven't tried to alt/tab etc yet but will try next.