Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 AM
Fire Giant

Default Considering Rogue, couple of questions.

Seems like it could be fun and I like the theme of a character I have in mind (a rugged dwarven treasure hunting Brann Bronzebeard type character). I haven't done a lot of dungeon exploring and I figure a rogue would be a good class to learn the layouts of various places. Just had a few quick questions before I go through with it.

1. Do rogues get a lot in the form of spell clickies. Honestly one of the best feelings is hitting 39 on any form of caster and seeing their spells turn all colorful and pretty. I know rogues don't get spells but do they get any sort of clicky that does the same thing? Particularly something that looks like the Shielding spell line. Silly question I know but I care about this sort of thing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2. How much of the world is closed off to a rogue? Are there a lot of things out there that can see through the sneak/hide combo?

3. Pick Pocket can't be used through stealthing correct? I figure on those slow nights when no groups are available I could sneak through a dungeon by myself just pickpocketing things and make a little spare change; can that be done?

Thanks in advance. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Kobold

Limited experience from having a 35 rogue:

1. Rogues (and bards) get illusion masks. The spell visual is the green orbs. You’ll for sure be able to get the Dark Elf illusion from Guk. In Kunark you can get Mrylokar armor clickies which have a few effects. In Velious... uhh Lodizal Shell Boots can cast Turtle Skin. I’m sure there are tons of raid-level clickies, but these would be the most attainable just leveling or doing small groups.

2. From what I’ve seen, it’s rare for a mob to see through sneak/hide. I’ve seen lists of basically 6-7 mob types, and then bosses (dragons/gods/etc). You’ll generally have free reign in most areas to explore (within reason).

3. Possibly - I know I’ve read stories of people pickpocketing Seafuries to great effect pre-nerf. Main thing to know is if you get a critical failure the mob will attack you - and if you’re deep in a dungeon that will be a death sentence for sure.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

1. Check out the mrylokar gear for level 45: https://wiki.project1999.com/Mrylokar%27s_Armor. No shielding but lots of other clickies and several of the pieces are pretty cheap.

2. Not a lot. Mostly raid bosses. 99% of dungeon content you can explore freely.

3. I don't think so but I could be misremembering. You can, however, pick pocket non kos mobs like friendly guards and then run to a zoneline.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 03-21-2021, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3. Pick Pocket can't be used through stealthing correct? I figure on those slow nights when no groups are available I could sneak through a dungeon by myself just pickpocketing things and make a little spare change; can that be done?
Stealth is not a skill in EverQuest. That is a WoW skill. EverQuest has two skills: Sneak & Hide. You can use these together to sneak while hiding. After positioning yourself behind your target, you can click hide off and WHILE STILL SNEAKING use pick pocket.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. How much of the world is closed off to a rogue? Are there a lot of things out there that can see through the sneak/hide combo?
You can sneak pretty much anywhere, albeit rather slowly. NPC AE spells and traps with AE components will knock you out of hide, though, so be weary while sneaking through areas heavy in traps or with enemy casters in combat. Most dragons will still see you through hide, though.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Last edited by Samoht; 03-21-2021 at 12:26 PM..
Old 03-21-2021, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
1. Do rogues get a lot in the form of spell clickies. Honestly one of the best feelings is hitting 39 on any form of caster and seeing their spells turn all colorful and pretty. I know rogues don't get spells but do they get any sort of clicky that does the same thing? Particularly something that looks like the Shielding spell line. Silly question I know but I care about this sort of thing. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, rogues get a lot of clickies, although there's only one item I can think of that will allow a rogue to case a spell from the shielding line, and it's a pretty rare drop off of one of the Velious city leaders. Still, rogues get a lot of clickies including illusions specific to rogues/bards.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:50 PM
Fire Giant

Appreciate the answers everyone, thank you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In Velious... uhh Lodizal Shell Boots can cast Turtle Skin.
Yep I think Turtle Skin is another armor buff with that same effect. Just what I was looking for, thanks!
I also found this but this seems far tougher to get. I dunno if a guild would even give this to a rogue.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Tri-Pla..._Hackle_Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stealth is not a skill in EverQuest. That is a WoW skill. EverQuest has two skills: Sneak & Hide. You can use these together to sneak while hiding. After positioning yourself behind your target, you can click hide off and WHILE STILL SNEAKING use pick pocket.
Stealth = Hide/Sneak combo. What I was going for anyway. I apologize, I will just say sneak/hide combo from now on.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Skeleton

I love Mrylokar's Vambraces for the Str clicky and Mrylokar's Boots are super fun for "fade".
Old 03-21-2021, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

The PoM flowers also look like shielding when you cast them
Old 03-22-2021, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Would not recommend diving deep into a dungeon pick-pocketing mobs. One wrong step and you're probably dead unless you keep a WC cap on hand. Outdoors w/ jboots and/or near a zone line is a safer bet. Not a bad little side activity while you have /lfg up and are actively searching for an xp group.

Rogues are a great class choice if you're looking for a straightforward (albeit limited) melee class. You will be the best DPS in the game and therefore will always be needed in raids, with one of the 2 easiest epics to acquire.

On the way to 60 you'll just have to always group.