Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Aviak

Default First toon, I'm considering cleric

Creating my first toon on p99, any recommendations for cleric races?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

Human Innoruuk. 25 points into CHA and 5 into STR.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Kobold

http://wiki.project1999.com/Cleric#P...the_Right_Race

I’d go for halfling for the 5% bonus exp, or dwarf for the sweet barrel roll.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Aviak

Dwarf and High Elf would give you easy access to Gfay's Orc Hill & Crushbone which is a pretty easy setup to group to 14 or so. Befallen and Unrest are also nearby so you wouldn't have to travel far for 'good' dungeons (I haven't leveled in either yet).

I'm curious to how a Dark Elf Cleric would fare once Kunark opens up. I have a feeling there would be a lot of twinked out monks & necros running around, especially in Kurn's Tower, that would love to have a cleric to group with. It's been forever since I've played on Kunark so I'm not sure how much of a nightmare vending/getting around without invis would be for a DE.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

High elf for good tunare quest items in Velious.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

For me, Cleric is one of the only classes where I would definitely just go min/max route and pick High Elf because of the highest starting WIS (WIS is the stat for priest classes that determines your mana pool). You're primarily a healer (except in some areas where you could solo against undead) so you want as much mana as possible. CHA is a decent side stat for Clerics because you can use "Lull" to reduce mob aggro radius and get through dungeons for corpse runs/resurrecting people), but other than CHA you want that higher WIS. Now, at end game you will probably be able to boost your WIS significantly with gear, so does that extra like 12-20 points of WIS at start really matter? Probably not, but for awhile while you're leveling up it will...and if you're ever gonna solo on undead you definitely want as much mana as you can get.

Bellamy mentioned Human Innorruuk, which is also a good choice because you can get some pretty good gear that only Humans (plus like one or two other races) and/or Inny worshippers can use, but as Nuggie mentions High Elves get pretty good Tunare only gear eventually (if you worship Tunare obviously) and IMO that gear is overall better than what you'd get as a Human/Inny worshipper. Not to mention, if you're a brand new player starting with an evil deity as your god might be a little tough; deity is one of the things that determines your faction with NPCs and, while Human as a race won't affect it negatively, Inny is an evil deity so there may be places (even in your starting city) where certain NPCs will kill you or at least not be willing to interact with you...so I wouldn't go evil deity if you've never played before.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Sarnak

Dark elf is nice as you can wear both plate and robes. Ultravision is really good at night time. Deity specific snare necklace quest as well. Good WIS. STR kinda sucks but you can wear banded.

Downside is bad faction in some places. But it's not a big deal. In Antonica evil races are closer to the banks and cities. Faydwer won't be a realistic option as a first toon. In Kunark the evil outpost is also more centrally located than the good.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

I've done halfling, dark elf, and gnome to the 50s and they were all fun.

I'd say don't worry about the min/max and just roll what appeals to you.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Kobold

Consider a Dark Elf just for the ultravision. If you're playing on the Green server, it is really dark at night in outdoor zones, even with infravision. Clerics don't have an ultravision spell so you won't have access to it until high level and you can get a raid or expensive clicky.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:19 PM
Kobold

I'm just noticing that there are a lot of things mentioned here that are overcome by gear... except for:

Quote:
halfling for the 5% bonus exp, or dwarf for the sweet barrel roll.
Seriously, it doesn't matter. I suggest going here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Fashion

and deciding what you want to be staring at for 60 levels. The one caveat being.. don't choose human or erudite. That night vision will annoy the hell out of you in no time.
Closed Thread