Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-30-2022, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Mage and Warrior. Both rely on groups and die to a wipe.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:05 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As mentioned before, it does depend on what situation you are talking about when saying "underpowered".

Soloing: Rogues

Grouping: Wizards

Raiding: Shadowknights

Overall Toolkit: Magicians

For soloing Rogues lose out. No class is worse at it in the game. The only way a rogue can solo decently well is with a lot of gear, or a lot of time and patience.

For grouping Wizards lose because of the stigma. They are probably the least likely class to get a group on P99. This isn't to say Wizards are bad at being in a group.

For raiding Shadowknights bring nothing to the table on P99. Lifetaps are completely nerfed, they aren't generally allowed to pull, guilds do not employ the harm touch zerging strategy, and they do not have any useful class specific spells/clickies/disciplines.

Toolkit-wise I agree with Fammaden. Magician's get an amazing kit for playing the game when all of the players on the server don't know anything about Everquest. This is because the summoned items they can produce are quite nifty, and basically keep your group where it needs to be. Players don't need to run back to town for food, bandages, etc. Sword of Runes is better than a Fine Steel Long Sword, so they can give under geared players OK weapons too. Their pet is powerful, which means they can handle themselves Solo or in a group. Unfortunately once everybody knows everything about the game, Necromancers have Magician's beat in every way, with the exception of CoTH. There is just no advantage to making a Magician on P99 other than CoTHing.

EDIT: There is one other good thing Magicians can do on P99, and that is level to 50 very quickly on a brand new server. So in the rare instance of starting fresh on a new P99 server, they are quite good as a character you can quickly level to 50 to start farming gear for your next character. This is because their pet is powerful, and they do not need to spend their very limited money on things like food, bandages, etc. They also do not need to rely on bone chips, which are heavily contested early on. They can just buy their spell reagents from the merchant with the money they are saving from summoned items.
The wizard is like a mage with no pet. Sustained DPS is challenge for a class that ONLY does DPS? Wizards need more help than any class. They have no utility, just DPS. Rogues can corpse drag, mages can CoTH. Other classes have some sort of valuable utility to bring to the table. Druids, PoTG. The one advantage wizards did have, being the king of quad kiting, but this bunk azz server has nothing set classic. Exp is wrong, mob population is wrong, spawn timers are wrong. My mage solo'ed faster to 60 than my wizard quad kiting? WTF, quadding was one of the fastest ways to level on classic EQ, how can they get this so wrong? Server tilted more to Enchanters and Shamans than the original EQ
Last edited by NPC; 06-25-2022 at 02:17 AM..
Old 06-25-2022, 06:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The wizard is like a mage with no pet. Sustained DPS is challenge for a class that ONLY does DPS? Wizards need more help than any class. They have no utility, just DPS. Rogues can corpse drag, mages can CoTH. Other classes have some sort of valuable utility to bring to the table. Druids, PoTG. The one advantage wizards did have, being the king of quad kiting, but this bunk azz server has nothing set classic. Exp is wrong, mob population is wrong, spawn timers are wrong. My mage solo'ed faster to 60 than my wizard quad kiting? WTF, quadding was one of the fastest ways to level on classic EQ, how can they get this so wrong? Server tilted more to Enchanters and Shamans than the original EQ
Did you forget that wizards can port as well? Quite the utility spell.
A class that can solo to 60 with relative ease,and is the king of raid damage really isn't underpowered
Old 06-25-2022, 07:38 AM
Planar Protector

Wizard

Can store unused dps as mana. Unused melee dps is wasted (e.g if the camp is empty or afk happens).

Eye of Zomm allows pulling while meditating. Convenient proc target too.

Instant cc as mobs come in to camp with aoe snare.

Has a variety of roots, and gets them early on. Can be heavily leaned on for pulling, tanking and CC. IMO best type of spell in the game.

Huge number of stuns and push nukes to assist in caster control, positioning and damage reduction.

Instant group evac via sky neck.

Amazing burst dps in groups by dropping a couple of rains and a nuke at once.

Fair grind dps with correct group composition. Said group composition also opens up swarm AOEing too.

Excellent at forming groups.

Grants access to an entire mid tier raid zone.

Neutral faction.

Bind sight scouting.

Strong mobility and fte ability.

I’ve never felt my wizard was underpowered. Only done 1-56 though.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 06-25-2022, 08:41 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve never felt my wizard was underpowered. Only done 1-56 though.
My son has been having a blast with his wizard (literally [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), also level 56. very powerful. The FTE thing gets a big upvote for wizards when there is 15 players waiting for AC pop in Sro. My son was running through Sro once and the AC popped right in front of him. He smoked it, and pissed off everyone who'd been waiting for 20 minutes, hehe.

As far as the gimpiest class? Tough call, really, because I think it all depends on how you play. If you are a lazy fucker, any class will be lame. If you are obsessed with squeezing every ounce of power from your class, I still think they are all the same.

Most assholish class? BARD, hands down. There's nothing like doing some soloing in a spot that has a decent mixture of mobs, with not too many dangers, and some blue suckhole waltzes up and sucks up every mob in the zone. The other night I was having a good time in EK pulling undead reavers, and when I got done, I sat down by the water's edge. I heard footsteps and got up to see what was going on, and there was a bard, swarming all around right in front of me. A whole huge area there, so it wasnt like there were any constrictions, so I felt like he was taunting me. I darknessed one of his swarm and gated. I was overloaded and ready to sell and get some food anyway, but sweet geebus, does every bard have to be a jackass? Why do they have to swarm in spots that a lot of people go to solo? Surely there are many spots that can be had that won't anger other players. Fuck bards.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:29 AM
Fire Giant

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhadree J'Hadaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Most assholish class? BARD, hands down. There's nothing like doing some soloing in a spot that has a decent mixture of mobs, with not too many dangers, and some blue suckhole waltzes up and sucks up every mob in the zone. The other night I was having a good time in EK pulling undead reavers, and when I got done, I sat down by the water's edge. I heard footsteps and got up to see what was going on, and there was a bard, swarming all around right in front of me. A whole huge area there, so it wasnt like there were any constrictions, so I felt like he was taunting me. I darknessed one of his swarm and gated. I was overloaded and ready to sell and get some food anyway, but sweet geebus, does every bard have to be a jackass? Why do they have to swarm in spots that a lot of people go to solo? Surely there are many spots that can be had that won't anger other players. Fuck bards.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 06-30-2022, 12:22 AM
Planar Protector

Paladin are the weakest to me. They have no unique ability that's needed for gameplay, bad DPS, bad movement, and one of their key tools (stun) doesn't work much of the time in Velious.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:27 AM
Sarnak

expansions resolved many classes weakness.

oh, we are talking about P99...bad luck.
Mitic - Green - Dial a Port (yes, porting is more fun than raid-rotations) - 2020
Old 06-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

From a raiding perspective, its SK by a wide margin. They bring essentially nothing. You could replace every SK in a raid with a soulfire'd paladin and be far better off.

Single group: mage, wiz, ranger all pretty poop.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

I mostly solo, some small groups and the occasional full group. Rogue is by far the most underpowered. They cannot solo worth a darn. And in a group, the only class I'd want less than a Rogue is a Wizard.