Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-07-2022, 09:16 AM
Skeleton

Default Chrome OS - Linux mode

Hi, I have read alot about people that managed to play on there chromebooks. But anyone ever tried to get P99 going on Chrome OS Linux mode ? I ask because Gallium OS isn't working on the one I plan to buy.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

I've got a newer Chromebook but haven't really tried getting much stuff running on it, don't think Gallium works on mine either.

In theory following one of the p99 Linux guides should work, like this one on the wiki, but I've not personally tried it.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:04 PM
Skeleton

Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2022, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvera [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

If so, that's huge (and I may have to pick up a cheap Chromebook)!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

All the new Chromebooks support Linux pretty well, specially the Intel ones, you gotta enable a flag setting, no dual boot or separate OS, similar to how you'd run wine in Linux.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:48 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ). All I had to do was to activate the standard Chrome OS Linux - copy the p99 files into it. Install Wine, and the "middlemand" thing ( to see the servers in the server select) and it worked for me.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvera [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ).
Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!

Still, awesome that cheap-er laptops can run EQ now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks again for sharing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:56 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!
My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--
Old 05-27-2022, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--
Ah, good to know.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:33 PM
Fire Giant

Wow ... this is actually good news to me as well.

Due to work I got a small discretionary budget to buy a laptop and was aiming to get something cheap so I could install lubuntu on it right away but ... a Chromebook now sounds more appealing than ever.

Nice to see people here friendly to Linux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]