Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 06-21-2022, 07:10 PM
Fire Giant

I would personally focus on a more realistic set of goals and set the Epic aside as a secondary to pursue, if you end up honestly loving your mage. The first goal would be to get your standard focus items. The next goal would be to abuse the items and race for lvl 50+. I discovered that magicians are even faster at leveling than a fear kiting necromancer on the Blue server, so that isn't a problem. Lastly, do the research and legwork needed to get some moderate help in getting your Water staff from Phinny.

If you are able to make the long haul to lvl 60 and have the Water Staff, a focused max level Greater Vocerate: Water pet can make most tricked out rogues look over at its parse and start sweating. It is very strong. If you can make it that far, then it will be up to you if the final step for the Epic is worth it.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:19 PM
Fire Giant

I wouldn't count on completing the epic, but you don't need it to enjoy playing to mage. Get the baby epic focus staves, enjoy the journey to 60. This game is really about the journey anyways. If you're really serious about the epic please understand it's a massive commitment that you will likely come to resent.

Check out my guide to the epic, it has tips for getting the earth staff, and feel free to PM for more detailed info.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Kurrat%...ian_Epic_Guide

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 06-22-2022, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Pint is correct. Most mages that are even semi-competitive will not see their epic. It is farmed on quake and respawn by a group of dorks that already have 5+ million plat in the hopes of making another big score. The drop is extremely rare and you are competing with the farm team and all other guilds that want to help their mages.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:43 AM
Fire Giant

Mage is fun to play in spite of the epic nonsense anyway.
Feel like a superhero leveling until 55ish, raids are usually desperate for ya. Super chill play style or highly active. Fun class
Old 06-22-2022, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man, I haven't seen a post from you in ages. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm guessing you haven't played in awhile also? If so, things aren't the same as they were in the old Blue days. Of course, the Mage epic remains a major challenge, but the abundance of quakes makes it a lot less difficult than it used to be.

Like I said, on Green Castle is going up to Hate every quake (I see them up there). Quick math: if quakes keep happening (as they have been) almost weekly, and let's say a Magi appears in 3/4 quakes, and drops an earth staff 1/3 times ... that adds up to Castle getting approximately one staff a month.

Now, you still have to be a Castle member, be on when it quakes (but again, lately that's been easy with all these weekend quakes), and you have to win the staff (I dunno if they handle it with DKP or loot council or what). And that's still only one Castle mage per month (plus however many mages who get non-quake-staves).

I don't know what your definition of "very very sweaty" is, but joining Castle (not even a top guild on the server), going on some raids to earn DKP, and then playing on weekends to catch quakes, doesn't sound all that sweaty to me ... and yet it's getting Castle (something like) one epic mage per month.

P.S. I suppose quakes aren't guaranteed to keep happening like this, but even if they halve the number of quakes, that's still one every other month ... that's not too sweaty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I ported a buddy up a few weeks ago and he got a staff. I still play, but I don't raid. Don't start playing a mage if your epic is your objective. My definition of sweaty is someone who puts more hours into 99 then they do their job which is what it'll take unless you want to be still working on that epic in 2026 and still your chances are garbage bc I'll probably still be dropping friends in hate in another 4 years ; )
Old 06-22-2022, 04:13 PM
Kobold

Like everything in end game P99, it's all about right place right time, I've seen mages get the epic within months of hitting 60, and there are mages that have been playing for years who haven't got it. If you get into a Kittens level raiding guild or above you'll have a chance at it, just depends how lucky you are.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Haha, at least I enjoy the convo, thanks guys for your input [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Based on your input though it will most likely not happen, I have already started my journey - and if it never does - I just have to accept it. I will do all I can though!
Old 06-23-2022, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and drops an earth staff 1/3 times ... that adds up to Castle getting approximately one staff a month.
seems closer to 1 in 10-15
Old 06-23-2022, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah I'm not sure where that drop percentage of a third of the time comes from. It's a very rare drop. If you kill 3-4 magi and get a staff you are very lucky!
Old 06-23-2022, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Never trust a p99 statistic unless it came from the staff and they pulled it from the db. Including my own bc like ghost said above, you could just be that guy who got lucky. Fun side note (not actually proud of this bc I liked the guy a lot and I spent more time helping him achieve it then most of you will ever spend on your own toons) but I made asgards only epic mage so mad that he supposedly nuked the character and never played again. If you think getting mage epics today vs the farm crews is bullshit then you'd have loved competing against tmo for them back in kunark.