Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Kobold

Default Mouse problem - losing control while moving

Hi. I have only been playing for a few days and I'm totally loving getting to play this game again! However, I have a problem that is quite annoying.

I am playing in windowed-mode on Windows 10. Every now and then when I'm walking/running, I lose mouse control and the mouse arrow disappears. I then can't stop running and have to use my /sit hotkey to stop. I noticed that when this happens, the EQ window has shifted down a little so a bit of my desktop is exposed. So it seems like something is triggering the desktop behind the EQ window.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I hold down the left mouse button to move forward, while using the right to aim left/right. So often, both mouse keys are pressed while I'm walking/running. Mouselook is on. But, I can't seem to reproduce it consistently. Has anyone heard of this and know of a fix?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:41 PM
Planar Protector

If you click out of EQ it will lock your movement.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi. I have only been playing for a few days and I'm totally loving getting to play this game again! However, I have a problem that is quite annoying.

I am playing in windowed-mode on Windows 10. Every now and then when I'm walking/running, I lose mouse control and the mouse arrow disappears. I then can't stop running and have to use my /sit hotkey to stop. I noticed that when this happens, the EQ window has shifted down a little so a bit of my desktop is exposed. So it seems like something is triggering the desktop behind the EQ window.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I hold down the left mouse button to move forward, while using the right to aim left/right. So often, both mouse keys are pressed while I'm walking/running. Mouselook is on. But, I can't seem to reproduce it consistently. Has anyone heard of this and know of a fix?
If you're going to play in windowed mode on Windows anything, it's suggested that you use WinEQ2 provided by Lavishsoft. Windows 10 doesn't always play nice with old software, so this should help a bit.

Let me know how it goes.

-Fryeday
Old 02-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Kobold

I *think* I found the culprit. I had the right strafe key bound to the same key that is used for /reply. So, pressing /r as I was running put me in into the chat window. I'm not sure why that would keep me running though, nor why my EQ window moved. Anyway, I changed the /reply to another key and did not see the issue yesterday.

That brings up another question though. What's the best way to get OUT of the "Main Chat" window? If you click there, as if to type something, it locks your keys there. The only way I know of is to click on any other window like "Actions" or something. Is there a key you can press that will release the cursor instead of having to click on another window?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I *think* I found the culprit. I had the right strafe key bound to the same key that is used for /reply. So, pressing /r as I was running put me in into the chat window. I'm not sure why that would keep me running though, nor why my EQ window moved. Anyway, I changed the /reply to another key and did not see the issue yesterday.

That brings up another question though. What's the best way to get OUT of the "Main Chat" window? If you click there, as if to type something, it locks your keys there. The only way I know of is to click on any other window like "Actions" or something. Is there a key you can press that will release the cursor instead of having to click on another window?
Glad to hear you found that your key binds were the culprit.

In reference to the chat window, you can set the UI to use a single window to chat from. You'll need to right-click on the chat window you want and select always chat here. To get out of the chat window if you have a cursor ther, just make sure there is no text and press enter and that will take the focus off of the chat window.

Let me know if this helps.

-Fryeday
Old 02-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraythian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Glad to hear you found that your key binds were the culprit.

In reference to the chat window, you can set the UI to use a single window to chat from. You'll need to right-click on the chat window you want and select always chat here. To get out of the chat window if you have a cursor ther, just make sure there is no text and press enter and that will take the focus off of the chat window.

Let me know if this helps.

-Fryeday
Thanks, that is good info. But what about when text IS in the chat window. Like, if you typed there accidentally while trying to do something else. That seems to be the situation I find myself in most of the time.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Sarnak

mouse controls here can be weird.

A small trick I learned early on was not to have my max fps set at max, but brought it down to match my monitor refresh at 59. Since doing that mouse movement and responsiveness has been good.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:59 AM
Orc

Quote:
Thanks, that is good info. But what about when text IS in the chat window. Like, if you typed there accidentally while trying to do something else. That seems to be the situation I find myself in most of the time.
When text is in the chat window where you type at, you only have two options.

1. Complete what you're typing and press enter
2. Backspace everything out and press enter

You can't have an active chat cursor and expect to be able to use keys for movement or actions. The chat window takes the normal controls out of play until the chat window is released from activity. Once this is done, normal player control functions return.

-Fryeday
Last edited by Wraythian; 02-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: corrected typo
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

If you ahve 2 chat windows you can click other one while first one has text in it and save the text while freeing cursor / keyboard