Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm also pretty sure on live staff did not intervene on camp disputes. Any sort of "claiming" of camps was just like a social contract.
Incorrect. We definitely intervened in camp disputes
Old 05-14-2021, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the staff bothered to show up 99% likely you were told to take turns. KSing before the GM arrived or not directly observed by the GM was like never punished.

It was usually a FFA kos fest for the 40 minutes waiting for your petition to be answered and a GM to arrive.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How did this play out? ‘Officially ‘ it seemed camps were a player made construct and not enforced by csr. This is not a trap question, i am curious.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-14-2021, 07:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
As in era CSR I don’t remember ever making someone leave a camp for being at it too long, nor do I remember that being told to staff as something that you were allowed to do.

Honestly, back in the day someone holding down camps for days at a time wasn’t really as rampant as it is on P99 really. For various reasons. One being that you didn’t have nearly as much account sharing back then; people guarded their accounts closely and it didn’t become the norm to have guilds sharing accounts for example until a few years in. Another reason was simply lack of knowledge...not everyone knew how valuable certain items could be whether in plat or their use in raids etc (also didn’t know they would later be nerfed so there wasn’t this mad rush to get them).
I definitely never shared my account. Heard of many instances where someone did and next thing you know their account got stripped and sold in RMT!

The other thing that limited the 24/7 camps was server maintenance. I remember the server going down much more frequently (I think almost weekly?) for maintenance. I'm sure that had to do with hardware requirements/limitations for servers 20+ years ago!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm also pretty sure on live staff did not intervene on camp disputes. Any sort of "claiming" of camps was just like a social contract.
I didn't mention that because I'm not sure about that.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:59 AM
Kobold

I really enjoyed the list camp for the mask. It meant I could eventually get it without having to deal with drama.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The more I got into playing here the more these new rules came into conflict with my classic experience.
I am skeptical that NOT having these rules wouldn't conflict with your classic experience even more. This is not classic. It is not the classic playerbase. The mindsets are different. The knowledge is different.

You would not have the ratio of people willing or able to poop sock various things in actual classic as you have now. There's only so much that can be done to replicate the classic experience and still actually have more than a dozen players that still want to play. If you didn't have rules on KSing that aren't like classic EQ, then you'd have people KSing to a degree that never happened in classic EQ. The poopsockiest of poopsocks would build around it, plan around it, and play around it. It would not be the classic experience.

You have to remember that without these rules, some people would play entirely differently to take advantage of those lack of rules. So you can't just take the distributions we have now and think it'd be the same without the rules.

Do you think without /list and KSing rules the manastone camp would've been ANYTHING like it was on release? When people didn't know what would happen? Come on, that experience would be way further from classic than what we had instead. You can't compare against classic, that's not an option. You need to compare against what p99 would be without the rules, which still would not be classic.
Last edited by Batty; 05-27-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Old 05-28-2021, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the staff bothered to show up 99% likely you were told to take turns. KSing before the GM arrived or not directly observed by the GM was like never punished.

It was usually a FFA kos fest for the 40 minutes waiting for your petition to be answered and a GM to arrive.
Well I mean obviously if you KSed before we showed up you wouldn’t be punished because we didn’t see it. Thanks for stating the obvious RecondoJoe alt account. But glad to know you were the type of person who would kill steal people until a GM arrived.
Last edited by cd288; 05-28-2021 at 01:23 AM..
Old 05-28-2021, 01:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How did this play out? ‘Officially ‘ it seemed camps were a player made construct and not enforced by csr. This is not a trap question, i am curious.
I mean it’s similar to how it plays out on P99. generally you would attempt to work out some sort of compromise...often involving splitting the camp or a rotation, but at least with me it really depended on how much of a jerk the new arrival was being...if they were clearly being a jerk then I might have said sorry wait till they leave the camp.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:30 AM
Aviak

The relentless requirement for player interaction and collaboration is what makes P99 classic in all the ways that matter.
Closed Thread