Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Getting Started with Small Group

Hey, just started P99 and it is a blast! I've talked my wife and kids into playing if we get an IP exemption. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to start so that one of us can be a Shaman and still group together? We'd rather not overlap classes and most of the races with Shaman only have 3 classes (there are 4 of us).

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2022, 06:57 PM
Kobold

Welcome! If the Shaman is Barbarian, the rest of the family would want to start in Halas, Qeynos, Surefall Glade or maybe Erudin. For an Ogre or Troll, they'd want to be Freeport or Neriak based. Of course, if the Shaman hustles a bit it doesn't matter where the group starts. It would be beneficial to "pair off" for the first 10 levels or so. Two Trolls and Two Dark Elves would be my pick. Level in pairs then meet in the desert.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:43 PM
Fire Giant

I think Cambiant's idea is the best one. Pair up to start. By level 5 or so you can join up and bind in/near the same city. Everyone being the same race leaves you with some pretty poor options if one's a Shammy.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernovy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to start so that one of us can be a Shaman and still group together? We'd rather not overlap classes and most of the races with Shaman only have 3 classes (there are 4 of us).
Welcome to P1999.

The Qeynos region (which effectively includes Halas, Surefall Glade, and more distantly Erudin) is the obvious choice here. That gives you access to every character class, all within a modest distance of each other, such that your entire group could join up no later than about level 5 or 6. Halas is isolated by Black Burrow, so that's why you'd want a few levels before running through there. Erudin is farther away time-wise, but connected to Qeynos by a very safe ship ride so it can be counted as part of that region. Starting there gives you access to barbarian, half-elf, human, and erudite races along with all classes as mentioned above. Since all classes start there, it also means someone can try a few different choices right there in the same area.

While humans are "night blind" in the dark, shamans gain a night vision spell at level 9 which largely mitigates that specific issue. Otherwise torches and lanterns off the vendors are cheap enough.

The other shaman starting areas tend to be rather isolated. The runs through areas like the desert are manageable for experienced players, but not advisable for small children depending on how old yours are. It only takes getting stomped by a Sand Giant once for a young player to be terrified of logging back in. The island of Faydwer (gnome, dwarf, high-elf, wood elf) is not advised for your specific needs unless you rule out shaman because it's largely hostile to all shaman races other than barbarians, and barbarians start on literally the opposite side of the game world. Shamans usually have to return to their original starting cities for spells since the various shaman races are mostly hostile to each other, as well, so you don't want to force the shaman player to re-locate too far from his main base.

If the children are particularly young, elementary school age, I do not recommend evil races because it becomes a real problem when you're hostile to practically every city and guard tower and NPC in the game.

Danth
Old 05-24-2022, 01:31 PM
Aviak

Iksar: Shaman, monk, warrior, sk. SK pulls, monk and warrior murder.

Iksar shaman best shaman no matter what the fatties say [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] True endgame is fashion and iksar fashion is undeniably superior.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:27 PM
Kobold

I play in a 4 person static with my wife and one kid plus a friend. We did an all iksar group. A shaman, necro, monk, sk. This is a great group. Healing from the necro and shaman. We can instantly slow because of the sk agro. We have a great puller in the monk. It’s a great group.

I don’t know how old your kids are. Mine is 15 so there is no problem when we get box tested everyone can read and respond. Don’t do it with little kids and don’t box period. You will be tested I promise.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. We got the IP exemption and we are getting ready to start everyone up this week! I talked about it and my other son wanted to be a Magician so Qeynos ended up winning. Looks like we're going to be the good guys this time. There is an interest in Iksar, so we'll see how things look once the kids get used to the game!

Also, should have included the kid's ages, my apologies. They're 15/16 so we should pass box testing.

Thank you again!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:50 AM
Fire Giant

The Iksar buds is the most efficient, but I think I'd let them create whatever characters they want, look, style, etc, and then figure out the rest around level 4.