Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 05:25 AM
Banned

Default i'll be honest

pre-planes classic fucking sucks and is boring as all hell, I started on blue after sky was released and I always thought I wanted a fresh server but the legacy item era is very underwhelming, I guess I didn't notice on red because I was deleveling people, i've grinded to a halt on teal

anyone else feeling the same?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:29 AM
Sarnak

When I first played EQ it was shortly before Kunark came out. Playing this time around I've gotten to experience zones I never really explored during the live game so it's been pretty gud for me.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Sarnak

I love every era of pre Luclin eq. In this super early era I love how simple everything is.

Then again I am playing fairly casually (after neckbearding the first two weeks anyways).
Old 12-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pre-planes classic fucking sucks and is boring as all hell, I started on blue after sky was released and I always thought I wanted a fresh server but the legacy item era is very underwhelming, I guess I didn't notice on red because I was deleveling people, i've grinded to a halt on teal

anyone else feeling the same?
I think we try and sugarcoat it as much as we can, but it is boring as all hell. Then again, novelty was the only reason we didn’t see true classic back in the day as anything but boring. The game was an unpolished nightmare, lacking in basic common sense UI adjustments and game changes (especially in terms of class identity - looking at you warrior). Things like class penalty’s are absurd for a player enjoyment perspective; not quite sure how they left the cutting room floor.

But sadly, this is the only show in town. Boxes ruin the game, and every other server is chock full of them with just a fraction of the population.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Fire Giant

Classic EQ is awesome, WoW is "polished" and it sucks.

On P99 I can customize separate chat windows for chat, spells, and melee and F-key target party members and their pets. You don't really need much more when it comes to UI. Brad (RIP) didn't like maps in games and that's why there aren't any in the game. I can totally see why and I don't mind lack of maps at all especially when there's a wiki online that tells you everything about the game.

Warrior is a fully group-dependent class, much much like other classes, with the trade-off that they are top tanks in terms of stats and ability to dual wield. They can't heal and they can't use magic. It's an RPG. They shouldn't be able to.

WoW came along and everybody could solo and quickly regen HP and Mana and also die with 0 consequence. You have constantly recycled streamlined carrot-on-a-stick quests in every new zone with maps with waypoints. The "polish" ruins the adventure. Also, time is not the only factor that makes EQ "difficult." You can't play sloppy in EQ if you want to move the bar at any decent rate and not die while getting good drops. You also need to play with a competent group of adventurers otherwise you can't even break up a 4 spawn.

But yeah EQ isn't for everyone, sure. Some people find JRPG grinding "boring." Some people find a single player first person RPG "boring." When you are grinding mobs with good players in dangerous zones and you have something that isn't a faceroll the keyboard full group with 3 mages EQ isn't boring it all. It does take a while to get your levels though =)

<The A-Team>
Old 12-27-2019, 08:57 AM
Aviak

No.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

yep, and I've said as much in several posts. It was only as mind-bogglingly fun and immersive as it was because we'd never seen anything like it. Now it's just kind of tedious. Gets better, though - by Velious it's pretty damn good. My personal favorite time is during PoP. Don't bother telling me how much you hate PoP, I already know you do, and exactly why.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yep, and I've said as much in several posts. It was only as mind-bogglingly fun and immersive as it was because we'd never seen anything like it. Now it's just kind of tedious. Gets better, though - by Velious it's pretty damn good. My personal favorite time is during PoP. Don't bother telling me how much you hate PoP, I already know you do, and exactly why.
I'm with you on PoP. I played Live until LDON and then got burned out. Although the flagging when PoP first came out was pretty darn brutal.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

I like luclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But ive never seen planes of power or plane of knowledge before, I left before those existed.