Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Kobold

Thank you for the info Vonk. That helps ease the issue somewhat. More information is always better. It just appeared to me that damn near everything was going to people levels 1-10. I could be wrong in that.

As for Ala. I have mentioned quite a few times that I did not, and do not care that I personally did not receive a rare. I know how randoms work and was not expecting to get lucky. In RL, I do not play the lottery for that reason. I know the odds are against me.

My gripe is that there seemed to be a problem with how things played out. Whether it was the RNG just loving the shit out of people in levels 1-10, or if it was a flaw in the design. Something seemed wrong with it to me.

And it could have been any number of things that caused the outcome. I do not know what did. The devs do (or should). So that is why I would love a response from them.

And again, these are just my opinions. I could be totally wrong, and if proven wrong, I will accept that my opinions were flawed.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forgot to add you have to consider that these arent just fun no drop rare items, theyre items with considerable platinum value and you basically just pumped hundreds of thousands of plat worth of items into the economy.
Increased the offer for these items. For a set demand, it lowered their price by "X %" amount. This way, no more money was created and the money currently on the market was not devaluated; only the value of "Thex Daggers, Manastones, and other event items" was lowered

Basic economics
Hateshadow Lifebane, 67 necro of <Fleur de Lys>
Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Fire Giant

I did not read this thread but the obv answer is BJs then Sex. Its does not have to be either or

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateshadow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Increased the offer for these items. For a set demand, it lowered their price by "X %" amount. This way, no more money was created and the money currently on the market was not devaluated; only the value of "Thex Daggers, Manastones, and other event items" was lowered

Basic economics
if you think there being 5 or so mistwalkers instead of 2-3 lowered their value any then you'd be wrong
Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did not read this thread but the obv answer is BJs then Sex. Its does not have to be either or
Truth

Server first Golden Sash of WTFPWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Unlike modern life, natural selection is alive and well on p99. Adapt or die.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Orc

I thought the only problem with the event was the Risk VS Reward factor.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

I still don't see why there is any griping about this other than "oh noes, I didnt gets a rare!!".

It was made perfectly clear how the system would work. There were no secrets:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29997

"Serverwide Rares
Beginning with the unlock of Kunark and lasting only throughout that night, every mob on the server will have a very rare chance to drop high value classic items, such as the Guise of Deceiver and others. To promote fairness for all levels, and to prevent high level characters from slaughtering low level zones, these items will only have a chance to drop if experience was awarded for the kill (aka, the "Trivial" loot system). We may turn this feature off after enough items have dropped, so don't miss your opportunity!"

There was no mention of "appropriate percentages will be adjusted for the toughness of the mob" or "you must use your main character to kill stuff for these". These were all artificial restrictions created by the user, that the devs should not be held accountable for. Just in CASE the design was flawed, Jorg pointed out in the same thread:

"I would like to suggest that while the ultra-rare loot is dropping, the corpse never unlocks for those outside the XP group (even after the decay countdown breaks the 5 minute mark). Otherwise level 50's are just going to use level 1 "proxies" to mass-kill and then take the rare drops for themselves. This would discourage such behavior and leave more mobs for the lowbies that are actually trying to kill stuff with nothing more than a splintered club and burst of flame."

Several people admitted this was "a valid point", and even after a few posts, Kvappe attempts to clarify:

"Rogean did you guys consider the masses off people killing in low level zones with a twinked level 1 and DS? will there be better chance for loot at higher level monsters or will all newbie zones be empty of monsters?"

There was no GM response to this concept. In fact, just in case there was STILL any question about the design of the system, Rogean made the following thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30102

"That nobody has posted a WTB for Guise Loot Rights in the EC Forum yet."

Which implies that he fully understands that the no-drop Guise was intended to have the ability to have someone else other than whoever killed the mob be able to loot it.

So at this point, leading up to the event on Friday, if there are any questions about how the system is designed, that is ridiculous. The system is clearly: "if you get XP from the mob, it has a chance to drop one of these items."

Then, all that's left is for the min-maxers to devise whatever strategy they think will maximize the number of XP kills in a given time to let probabilities/statistics take their course. Let me stress that we all had the same information and the same opportunity to devise whatever strategy we felt would be successful. We all had the same choices to make about how we wanted to spend Kunark launch night.

I know because I had to make these same choices. I chose the "newbie zone sweep with a level 1 pal" method because it had the highest chance of success based on the system that we were presented. As a ranger, it was less important to me to be one of the first to re-experience Kunark content, and more important to me to have a chance at a Mistwalker. In fact, I contend that any ranger would suck cock for a Mistwalker and then claim they were still hetero afterward because "they didn't like the taste." Luckily for me, however, this was not part of the loot system.

The only "flaw" in the system was the initial drop rate, which was quickly adjusted to be more in line with what the devs envisioned. And it's not like they don't have the numbers on database transactions to go from to understand what the average number of XP kills per hour was on the server. I'm sure the initial rate they set was perfect for that. They perhaps underestimated the large spike in XP kills from all of the min-maxers increasing the number of low-level kills to maximize the kill rate for this system.

Was it an exploit? I submit that the devs fully knew it would play out like that, from the post examples above. Maybe they wanted 200+ people on the Oasis Barge when Kunark opened instead of 600 and needed a way to spread out the population in the old world. If so, mission accomplished.

Either way, we all had the same info and the same opportunity to act on that info. Any assumptions about the intended design of the system were artificial restrictions that we placed on ourselves.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Aviak

People will bitch regardless.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Aviak

I agree with Yendor. Each person was given a scenario. Those who figured out the way to maximize the number of exp kills had the best chances. If each mob has a 2% chance to drop an item, then in 50 kills, you should theoretically get a loot. I think part of the challenge was to figure out a way to get the most kills. While I do agree that a scaled drop rate should have been implemented - that is, higher drop rate for higher level characters - I don't think lowbies should be excluded from realistic chances of getting great gear. This fun event should be available to all, not just lowbies or highbies. But in the release of Kunark, I think people should have considered the information given more carefully.
Closed Thread