Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic had what, three guilds max in ToV? And ToV loot was good for what, a year? Before it was replaced with much better Luclin loot, making ToV irrelevant.
Classic had 3 guilds in ToV since those 3 guilds blocked everyone else from getting the gear and keys to get into ToV.

If you aren't shitting on other guilds in the Velious era and you aren't being shat on, its not classic.

They didn't come up with instance for no reason.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzzzt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks Braknar and Sirken for sticking your necks out. It's sad that this has to happen for changes to actually occur. It's a shame to lose someone that obviously cares a lot about the server. I hope that the communication/engagement issues behind the scenes are worked on as well as the in-game mechanical ones.
Lets not slander Braknar by naming him alongside Sirken.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

Shades of Green Grocer.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic had 3 guilds in ToV since those 3 guilds blocked everyone else from getting the gear and keys to get into ToV.

If you aren't shitting on other guilds in the Velious era and you aren't being shat on, its not classic.
Man P99 has completely replaced your memories of what live was like hasn't it? To be fair, it's done that to me too with things: it's so like the original it's easy for it to happen.

Live had only a tiny fraction of the server raiding compared to P99. We had SEVEN. YEARS. OF KUNARK. Live had literally less than a year. Even in raid guilds, many members weren't even 60 yet.

There were only three guilds in ToV because only three guilds had enough players to raid ToV. It had absolutely nothing to do with guilds actively blocking other guilds. And not even every server had three guilds in ToV!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-08-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There were only three guilds in ToV because only three guilds had enough players to raid ToV. It had absolutely nothing to do with guilds actively blocking other guilds. And not even every server had three guilds in ToV!
It absolutely wasn't a player shortage, servers used to show population back then.

Its just that non-hardcore players hadn't even heard of ToV. EQ was still gaining players back then, during velious peak most of the casuals were discovering Kunark.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It absolutely wasn't a player shortage, servers used to show population back then.

Its just that non-hardcore players hadn't even heard of ToV. EQ was still gaining players back then, during velious peak most of the casuals were discovering Kunark.
There were similar overall population numbers yes, but that's where the similarity ends. Again, during the Velious era many live players didn't even have a single level 60 character (even some in raid guilds!) They certainly didn't all have BiS Kunark gear, or anything close, when Velious arrived.

Here players regularly have multiple level 60s, and even on day one of Velious's release many of those 60s were decked out in full BiS Kunark gear. Even if not, they were still massively over-geared (and again, over-leveled) relative to live.

And that was before the massively unclassic two plus-years of Velious here!

The simple truth is that Blue is, by design, extremely unclassic in this regard. Blue's goal is not to recreate classic EverQuest: it's to let the devs beta test their work for the "real" classic EverQuest server, Green.

But of course that leaves the question of "well we have literally hundreds more raid-capable people here than we ever did on live, so how do we handle it?" There are plenty of arguments about that elsewhere, so I won't go into it, but the one thing I will say is that any solution will have to be an unclassic one*, because our situation is nothing like it was on the classic live servers.

* Or at least a semi-unclassic one: rotations were practiced on live during the classic era, but only on some servers, and generally only on content that was considered "old". For instance, on my server, Bristlebane, Vox and Naggy were rotated at the end of Luclin/start of PoP, so like 2-3 years after they were first released. You could make the case that the ToV dragons have lived here about that long, or you could make the case that we've never gone to Luclin so it would never be classic to rotate anything. But my point is rotations are clearly "semi-classic", and that's the closest to classic any solution will get.

P.S.

Quote:
Lets not slander Braknar by naming him alongside Sirken.
If you read the logs, Braknar and Sirken together tried to bring rotations to P99. That's what was being referred to I believe.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-08-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Sarnak

who are you?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

Braknar, I didn't know ye very well.

But you will always be remembered in my mind for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfvADznhTQA
Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iksar_with_a_plan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

hahaha omg that was fantastic

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 04-08-2019, 03:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iksar_with_a_plan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yep, that's what I thought of first too- dude was gangster at squashing boxers. Perfect timing too on that video. I witnessed Brak doing the same thing in unrest one day- was equally cool. Some scrub was obviously boxing, then outta nowhere the giant dwarf of doom shows up, watches for like a few seconds, alla sudden one of the box toons goes LD and Brak smites them both. My reaction was about identical to the video host guy's- laughed my arse off.

Hopefully with Braknar gone, a new sheriff will step in and keep the scumbags honest. If nothing else, coming from this filthy casual, my 100% outside observer view of you as a gm was integrity and putting in the work to keep the box legit. Thanks for doing that for us.
Closed Thread