Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 06:19 AM
Kobold

Default Anyone else have their account hacked? There must be similar situations to mine

I came back to P99 after a 2-3 years and found my lvl 59 character naked.

After inquiring with a GM it seems the following happened:

1. someone transferred about 450k worth of items to another character form my main in EC

2. they killed my character so the corpse rotted to perhaps cover their tracks and make it seem as if i forgot to do a CR on my last log in...

----

All of that sucks but i don't think it would have been 'reasonably' possible to hack my account for the following reasons:

1. my account name is nowhere visible
2. my password is a non-standard alphanumeric

If your immediate conclusion here is to think that I must have told someone my information I can tell you this is a straight no. I am the only one that I even know who plays p99 and i played mostly alone on P99 and never gave out my password.

Has a similar situation happened to anyone else?

Given these circumstances it seems to me that someone with 'access' was able to review accounts that had been inactive for long enough to be considered 'abandoned' and decided to enrich themselves and cover their tracks. This is the simplest explanation that makes sense to me.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:20 AM
Kobold

as a funny aside to all of this - i initially thought i got so drunk 2-3 years ago that i decided to play EQ - died - and forgot about the session the next day... XD

At the time this was the most sensical to me...until i was shown the logs displaying character trades from my account to another.

>=[
Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Large Rat

Some possibilities:
- You shared info with 'friends' (which you claim you have not)
- You shared info with guildies (which you claim you have not)
- You shared info to person who sold you some 'loot right' with 'access' (which you claim you have not?)
- You played somewhere where stranger, siblings, friends that could see you type login and password, including public locations on public computers, where people can sniff what you type with some basic sniffing tool, or had login information accidentally saved/left typed
- You gave or allowed someone to have access to the email that is linked to P99, and the person has knowledge of P99
- Alcohol consumption
- Other substance consumption
- Some combination of above (and you bragged about your login and P99 wealth while under influence)

Although P99 doesn't have password fail lock mechanism, it is highly unlikely someone will spend weeks and months typing random login and password combination hoping they will strike jackpot
Old 01-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Did you ever use the same username and password on another emulated server that may have been compromised?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Kobold

its been so long - out of all of these the one that might make sense is

"- You shared info to person who sold you some 'loot right' with 'access' (which you claim you have not?)"

to get OT hammer i have a vague recollection of surrendering the account a looooong time ago for thw owner of puppet strings to do it - but i'm almost positive i changed password after that out of deep fear.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telados [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. my password is a non-standard alphanumeric
As an IT guy, my first question is:
Did you use the same password for any other accounts on any other site/or service on the Internet?
Most people pick one password they *think* is super strong and use it on dozens of sites. One of these sites get hacked and the password databases get shared and now they have access to every place you've used it.

Check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords for a list of 555 million compromised passwords.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Most likely was a GM who fell on hard times or your own personal error I think...
Last edited by ScottBerta; 01-15-2020 at 12:58 AM..
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 PM
Fire Giant

Wasn't there a GM that got caught rmting old accounts?
Old 01-15-2020, 05:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasn't there a GM that got caught rmting old accounts?
Seriously that happened?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telados [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its been so long - out of all of these the one that might make sense is

"- You shared info to person who sold you some 'loot right' with 'access' (which you claim you have not?)"

to get OT hammer i have a vague recollection of surrendering the account a looooong time ago for thw owner of puppet strings to do it - but i'm almost positive i changed password after that out of deep fear.
Bingo

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread