Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Play has no idea what they are doing!

Hello everyone! To keep my backstory short: my grandfather played EQ back in the day and I wanted to try it out as I preferred WoW which I started playing instead of EQ with him. Anyways due to his old age he doesn't remember how to play many video games so I decided to go to the forums for help. I have no idea what I'm doing xD like I know how to learn spells and use them and walk around but other than that I'm lost, i tried to fight a beetle and died was wondering if anyone would be willing to hold my hand and teach me the basics. And before you ask I did look up tutorials but it's much easier for me to learn with someone with me. Anyways thanks for any advice you can give if you have any! I am most likely going to roll a new class because I don't even know what I'm doing lol.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Fire Giant

It would be helpfull if you post an ingame name so that you can be helped, as well as an estimated time (with time zone) when you are in game. I would totally help you but i play at european times.

Generally, the fire beetles are level 2 mobs. So if you are a fresh level 1 with just basic equipment, you may die from one. You should 'con' mobs before attacking them (default is 'c' key). Don't attack them if they con worse than white (yellow or red).

EQ is an unforgiving game. That's what most people here like about it. Expect to be punished for your mistakes in a most horrible manner, getting worse the higher level you are. But this leads to a game where people generally help each other.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Sarnak

When you click on a monster and hit the C-key for consider, you will see a colored consider message in your text box...This lets you know how strong a monster is relative to your current level. If the message is yellow or red stay away from the monster because it will kill you.

I think asking other players in game questions about the what and how will be very rewarding for you. When my friends and I started playing everquest as kids, we were only given the basic instruction to type /ooc "what you want to say" if you needed to ask anyone for help. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by trite; 03-25-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Old 03-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the advice on mobs it actually helped me a ton! Aside from that I tried talking to people in game and I know it's just my bad luck but I always get the jerks. For example I asked someone what a bind was cuz I am new and the person then spent a good 5 minutes messaging me about "how I should just quit the game because you are a noob" I never responded but I feel like going to the forums is a better solution than asking in game players.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Orc

This guide from the wiki might help as well.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie
Old 03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Orc

Seeker303 - first off, welcome to the greatest MMO ever made. One of the best things of this game is the folks who play it. That person you encountered is absolutely not a depiction of what p1999's community really is.

That said, I'd be happy to help you with any questions and even grouping up to level. I have several lower level characters so do a /who all Threldan.....Deldan....Freldan...or Brandell to find me or you can also /tell <name> to any of them too if you see I'm on!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:28 PM
Skeleton

Please remember the spam filter. I'm a returning player, new to P1999, but until level 5, it's hard to send tells or oocs because you get that it was blocked as spam. I can understand how that might be particularly frustrating for a new guy.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

welcome & pay no attention to the haters. Some very cool people here + always someone willing to help with a bind, sow, port, CR, etc...
/salute
Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Sarnak

Welcome to P99, and as others have said ignore the jerks. There are plenty of good folks on this server that would be more than willing to help you out.

I'll also add that if anyone responds to a question of yours by saying to "/q", don't do it. That's the command to quit the game, and it's a lame joke for people to try to trick new players with.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

Yeah, and /ex doesn't have anything to do with experience. ALT F4 isn't a thing to try, either. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread