Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzoh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure if trolling or just willfully ignorant.
No i'm just defending my post, Because the game starts at level 60. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the way there are options for players under level 10 but you have to be creative. In such zones, for example,Everfrost and Feerrot you can run weapons to the merchant for a high level player and make more plat than you'll ever make naturally.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean the person telling you about something is ignorant. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] So if yous comin in her tellin me I ignit fer tellin anotha Mar 2014 user they is sol than so be it. ya her?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 11-17-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No i'm just defending my post, Because the game starts at level 60. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the way there are options for players under level 10 but you have to be creative. In such zones, for example,Everfrost and Feerrot you can run weapons to the merchant for a high level player and make more plat than you'll ever make naturally.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean the person telling you about something is ignorant. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] So if yous comin in her tellin me I ignit fer tellin anotha Mar 2014 user they is sol than so be it. ya her?
It's about the journey, not the destination.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzoh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's about the journey, not the destination.
To each, their own. The journey begins at level 60 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 AM
Banned

Everquest: The Master Quest release when
Old 11-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You proved my point further, none of these really have anything for sub level 10.
That's because trying to earn plat at low levels is a fool's errand. This is how EQ is designed to work.

If you plot how much plat a level 5/10/15/20/etc. character can make per hour on a chart, what you'll notice is that it plots a curve. At higher levels you can make orders of magnitude more plat than you can at lower levels.

Low level people wanting to earn plat are typically jealous of twinks: they want all the fancy toys they see others have. But those others leveled a character up to 50 so they could farm those twink items; they're not something starting characters are supposed to have.

Ask anyone who played on Green/Teal at launch: the correct way to level up is to go kill as many small rats (or whatever) as you can, using the cloth tunic and rusty sword you start with. The incorrect way is to try and farm plat so you can buy gear you don't need to level ... at a tiny fraction of the rate you'll be able to once you level.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Rumor has it quest exp is about to come back in the next 2 weeks to 2 months.

Soon™
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (63.4 KB, 6 views)
Last edited by Castle2.0; 11-17-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's because trying to earn plat at low levels is a fool's errand. This is how EQ is designed to work.

If you plot how much plat a level 5/10/15/20/etc. character can make per hour on a chart, what you'll notice is that it plots a curve. At higher levels you can make orders of magnitude more plat than you can at lower levels.

Low level people wanting to earn plat are typically jealous of twinks: they want all the fancy toys they see others have. But those others leveled a character up to 50 so they could farm those twink items; they're not something starting characters are supposed to have.

Ask anyone who played on Green/Teal at launch: the correct way to level up is to go kill as many small rats (or whatever) as you can, using the cloth tunic and rusty sword you start with. The incorrect way is to try and farm plat so you can buy gear you don't need to level ... at a tiny fraction of the rate you'll be able to once you level.
The problem is, not every character looking for plat is trying to get those twink items. For caster classes, spells are pretty pricey, and they have to balance their plat between getting those spells and maybe upgrading from cloth to damask, or Gossamer. Maybe you have a melee or hybrid that just wants to earn plat to buy some banded mail or reinforced armor. Those are relatively cheap items, but as you mentioned, lower level characters are not as capable of earning plat as easily as someone who is at a higher level, and I don't think any of the items I just mentioned quality as "twink" tier, those are items that many of these 50+ alt characters had during their first run through the server on their own lowbies.

Furthermore, those first toons also had access to the bone and belt economy as well. I agree that the twink items shouldn't be a primary focus of someone's first character, but not everyone really cares about those items at all. I didn't, even when I first started out on blue. My brother, who plays casually, and doesn't have a single character over thirty yet, just does his best to enjoy the game and doesn't even care much about these items at all, he just wants to use belts to rise out of the lower levels more easily. I wonder if it would have been possible just to turn off scroll drops for the month or temporarily disable the quest script for the turn-in NPC for that time instead, rather than choosing the blanket option.

That being said, I admitedly know very little about this game, even after getting my first character to 50, so I would be interested to know if there was some other exploitable quest that could've been used other than the gnoll scrolls. At the end of the day, anyone who wants to level up will probably just do so through grinding, but it doesnt really seem fair to people who are new, coming back after a while, or just trying to roll a new character without twinking it out.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allawen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is, not every character looking for plat is trying to get those twink items. For caster classes, spells are pretty pricey, and they have to balance their plat between getting those spells and maybe upgrading from cloth to damask, or Gossamer. Maybe you have a melee or hybrid that just wants to earn plat to buy some banded mail or reinforced armor. Those are relatively cheap items, but as you mentioned, lower level characters are not as capable of earning plat as easily as someone who is at a higher level, and I don't think any of the items I just mentioned quality as "twink" tier, those are items that many of these 50+ alt characters had during their first run through the server on their own lowbies.

Furthermore, those first toons also had access to the bone and belt economy as well. I agree that the twink items shouldn't be a primary focus of someone's first character, but not everyone really cares about those items at all. I didn't, even when I first started out on blue. My brother, who plays casually, and doesn't have a single character over thirty yet, just does his best to enjoy the game and doesn't even care much about these items at all, he just wants to use belts to rise out of the lower levels more easily. I wonder if it would have been possible just to turn off scroll drops for the month or temporarily disable the quest script for the turn-in NPC for that time instead, rather than choosing the blanket option.

That being said, I admitedly know very little about this game, even after getting my first character to 50, so I would be interested to know if there was some other exploitable quest that could've been used other than the gnoll scrolls. At the end of the day, anyone who wants to level up will probably just do so through grinding, but it doesnt really seem fair to people who are new, coming back after a while, or just trying to roll a new character without twinking it out.

Selling rusties and cloth from skelies and similar makes more than enough money to buy your useful spells early on until you can start killing things that drop useful loot like spider silk or hq bear pelts. Make a silk/tattered set yourself and go, it is easy and cheap. Keep a tailoring kit and gorget patterns on you and make armor with ruined pelts, they sell for a lot more while being lower weight. I never sold anything related to the quests on my Wiz and never once struggled with buying spells and picking up a few upgrades along the way. Still wearing half the silk set at 37 and my nukes hit just as hard as the wiz twink next to me.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quest exp still works on red1.0, /confirmed it this morning turning in bone chips to lashun
Old 11-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Selling rusties and cloth from skelies and similar makes more than enough money to buy your useful spells early on until you can start killing things that drop useful loot like spider silk or hq bear pelts. Make a silk/tattered set yourself and go, it is easy and cheap. Keep a tailoring kit and gorget patterns on you and make armor with ruined pelts, they sell for a lot more while being lower weight. I never sold anything related to the quests on my Wiz and never once struggled with buying spells and picking up a few upgrades along the way. Still wearing half the silk set at 37 and my nukes hit just as hard as the wiz twink next to me.
True, but it doesn't change that it's unfair for lowbies just trying to casually play to lose those options, which was the point I intended to make.

Also, while I have no issues with twinking, since it's just new game+ more or less, I do have a problem with your argument. The problem is you're comparing spell damage this would be about the same as comparing your bind wound skill since, as far as I'm aware, equipment does not affect spell damage, so it doesn't factor into the twinking argument at all. It would certainly affect your survivability, as well as total mana, but for the most part, caster classes could even get by completely naked if they had to, though I doubt a new player would want to do this as it would still be harder than leveling with gear on.

A better comparison would've been between a hybrid or melee that isn't twinked versus one that is, but I think the difference there would be much more dramatic, those classes tend to rely on gear more than casters do. That being said, unless someone is using the advantage from twinking to steal kills or something, it shouldn't have a negative impact on anyone's experience with the game.
Closed Thread